CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Question what soft performance ball do you play and why

I am looking for some personal input on what golf ball you prefer to play. I am a single digit handicap, a fairly long hitter and looking for a soft ball.

I am playing Pro V1 balls at the moment and considering changing for a soft ball with great distance at better price. I was considering the Strata Tour Ultimate Plus.

The Pro V is an amazing ball but sometimes I feel that I don’t compress it the way it should with the driver and it costs me some distance. I love the way it sticks to the green but sometimes I feel it reels back too much.

All in all it’s the ball I prefer for the moment but I didn’t try a lot of other brands.

So the question is what soft performance ball do you play and why does it work for you. It would also be great if you could describe what type of player you are.

Thanks
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    I am looking for some personal input on what golf ball you prefer to play. I am a single digit handicap, a fairly long hitter and looking for a soft ball.

I am playing Pro V1 balls at the moment and considering changing for a soft ball with great distance at better price. I was considering the Strata Tour Ultimate Plus.

The Pro V is an amazing ball but sometimes I feel that I don’t compress it the way it should with the driver and it costs me some distance. I love the way it sticks to the green but sometimes I feel it reels back too much.

All in all it’s the ball I prefer for the moment but I didn’t try a lot of other brands.

So the question is what soft performance ball do you play and why does it work for you. It would also be great if you could describe what type of player you are.

Thanks
    I have a great ball if you like one that spins and bites. The Blud Callaway CBU ball. They're also on sale at golf town for 25 dollars. It's become my go to ball now. Softish not quite NXT soft but not as hard as the ProV.

IOt really spins and checks on hard fast greens. Just a suggestion. I'm also experimenting with different balls. Let me know what you've tried as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    I have a great ball if you like one that spins and bites. The Blud Callaway CBU ball. They're also on sale at golf town for 25 dollars. It's become my go to ball now. Softish not quite NXT soft but not as hard as the ProV.

IOt really spins and checks on hard fast greens. Just a suggestion. I'm also experimenting with different balls. Let me know what you've tried as well.
    Before ProV’s I played with the Callaway Red .35 rule. Great ball at the time but it scuffed very easily and that is the reason why I changed.

PS: Did you mean to say "Softish not quite ProV soft but not as hard as the NXT" To me the ProV is softer then the NXT!

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Nxt

dbleber:

I am not sure of the specs but I play with a NXT Distance ball and I find it to be fairly soft and very long. It is a very good all around ball in my opinion. I do find that they only last about one round and then the cover is done, again in my opinion. But I find this with any ball except the rock hard ones like a Dunlop Titanium or others like that. The selection of a ball to me is like picking out a putter, everyone has a different feel they are looking for and we all have a bunch of them in a closet some where that we go back to when our game is a little off.

Denny

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

soft balls

I play either Pro V1's or Strata Aces. Problem is that they are both very expensive. I have always played with a soft ball and always will. If you are a single handicap and looking for a soft/cheaper ball, I'd recommend:

1. Strata Tour Balatas (liquidation from 2 years back)
    2. Precept Lady
    3. Wilson Jill

All can be found at pretty cheap prices now.....

Andru
    Before ProV’s I played with the Callaway Red .35 rule. Great ball at the time but it scuffed very easily and that is the reason why I changed.

PS: Did you mean to say "Softish not quite ProV soft but not as hard as the NXT" To me the ProV is softer then the NXT!
    I agree about the callaways they do scuff easily, But they're cheap now so I'm not too concerned.

I know what you mean by the prov feeling soft. I think we're getting our communication lines crossed. The cover is softer and has a nice feel to it, but the NXT has a really soft core. It feels like a masrhmellow under my driver. Maybe it feels different to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    I agree about the callaways they do scuff easily, But they're cheap now so I'm not too concerned.

I know what you mean by the prov feeling soft. I think we're getting our communication lines crossed. The cover is softer and has a nice feel to it, but the NXT has a really soft core. It feels like a masrhmellow under my driver. Maybe it feels different to you.
    I find the cover of the ProV is soft and it reals back a lot. I haven’t tried the NXT but the cover is harder. I always thought that the soft cover is what makes the ball grab more on the grooves.

I found an NXT distance in the woods Saturday. I hit it pure with a 4 iron off the fairway. The ball is too hard for my liking. I think the NXT Tour is softer but does it stick?

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

NXT Tour

It is a very hard ball. It plays like a Top Flite XL2000 Super Titanium..... basically no spin...

Andru
    I find the cover of the ProV is soft and it reals back a lot. I haven’t tried the NXT but the cover is harder. I always thought that the soft cover is what makes the ball grab more on the grooves.

I found an NXT distance in the woods Saturday. I hit it pure with a 4 iron off the fairway. The ball is too hard for my liking. I think the NXT Tour is softer but does it stick?
    No the NXT doesn't grab that well. I wasn't recommending it by any means. I was just using it for reference. I'm not talking about the cover. The actual core of the ball is soft. That's all

Cheers

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    ProV1 on shorter courses with firm geeens, because this ball stops on a dime.

With softer greens, longer holes and with a good wind blowing, I play the ProV1X. It's a little more "boring," a little bit longer, but needs an extra bounce to stop.

Both balls have a soft feel off the putter face. I dislike the hard click of a "distance" ball when putting.

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road

balls

I like the Nike Tour Accuracy good distance and good on the greens. I like the Provx's over the Prov's I don't know why I just never had any success with Prov's. Strata Tour Ultimate is always a good choice too.

Quote Originally Posted by flagolfnut
    I like the Nike Tour Accuracy good distance and good on the greens. I like the Provx's over the Prov's I don't know why I just never had any success with Prov's. Strata Tour Ultimate is always a good choice too.
    I played the Tour accuracy but the first version a few years back. Has it changed much?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I play the Strata Tour Ultimate. Great ball, a bit expensive but not as bad as some.

Soft feel, good stopping, goes like stink when you catch it. Overall the best all around ball for my game.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I think the NXT Tour is softer but does it stick?
    NXT Tour is softer than the distance (obviously) but not the stickiest ball out there by any means.

If you don't care about price, then the Stratas are a good choice as others have mentioned. Each ball is slightly different so I'd recommend a sleeve of each to see which one you prefer.

If you do care about price, then you should really check out the Top Flite Tour, or the XL-3000 Super Spin and Super Feel. The Tour is a 3 piece and has very good stopping power and all around good feel. The cover is on the soft side and I manage to put lots of bite marks in it with my irons so they won't last as long.

The XL-3000s are also pretty decent. The Super Spin really spins a lot. Too much for me. The Super Feel is a good compromise in that that cover is harder so it doesn't spin like crazy but soft enough, and it has a low compression core, that I can still stop it pretty easily on hard greens with a 5 or 6 iron.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    NXT Tour is softer than the distance (obviously) but not the stickiest ball out there by any means.

If you don't care about price, then the Stratas are a good choice as others have mentioned. Each ball is slightly different so I'd recommend a sleeve of each to see which one you prefer.

If you do care about price, then you should really check out the Top Flite Tour, or the XL-3000 Super Spin and Super Feel. The Tour is a 3 piece and has very good stopping power and all around good feel. The cover is on the soft side and I manage to put lots of bite marks in it with my irons so they won't last as long.

The XL-3000s are also pretty decent. The Super Spin really spins a lot. Too much for me. The Super Feel is a good compromise in that that cover is harder so it doesn't spin like crazy but soft enough, and it has a low compression core, that I can still stop it pretty easily on hard greens with a 5 or 6 iron.
    The Top Flite Tour has a very soft cover and they sell cheap. I wonder how they do distance wise! They sell for 19.99$ at Tommy.

The Top Flite Tour has a very soft cover and they sell cheap. I wonder how they do distance wise! They sell for 19.99$ at Tommy.
    They're pretty decent distance wise based on my early season golf swing.

I think you can get them even cheaper at Golf Town right now as well. I want to say $14 but I'm not 100% sure.

I found the following site when looking for something else. They have some pretty good technical ball analyses that you can check out (carry, spin rates, etc).

http://www.equip2golf.com/

Andru
    They're pretty decent distance wise based on my early season golf swing.

I think you can get them even cheaper at Golf Town right now as well. I want to say $14 but I'm not 100% sure.
    I think it's 16. I know it's less than 19.99.

I found the following site when looking for something else. They have some pretty good technical ball analyses that you can check out (carry, spin rates, etc).

http://www.equip2golf.com/
    COOL!!

Just what I was looking for.

Shotmaker acadian is on a distinguished road acadian's Avatar

Gota go with Maxfli

The maxfli revolution to me is the best ball ,, you get the best of both worlds ,, feels really soft off irons yet distance is similar to the prov1 ,, those are what i use
    I ususally get 3 boxes of maxfli's and 1 of prov1's and only use the titleist when i'm feeling most confident because of the price,,
    But honestly give the maxfli revolution a try ,, even the new hogan balls are soft feeling

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by acadian
    The maxfli revolution to me is the best ball ,, you get the best of both worlds ,, feels really soft off irons yet distance is similar to the prov1 ,, those are what i use
    I ususally get 3 boxes of maxfli's and 1 of prov1's and only use the titleist when i'm feeling most confident because of the price,,
    But honestly give the maxfli revolution a try ,, even the new hogan balls are soft feeling
    The hogan apex tours are the longest balls I've ever hit. They fly!!! The other ball was the Nike TA David Duval. Man that ball sailed when you caught it. it just didn't have the stopping pwr.

Gap Wedge tommyr is on a distinguished road

Talking calloway hx tour

my buddy gave me a calloway HX tour to try.my usual ball is the wilson true tour elite.wow do those HX tours perform.i had to start hitting 1 less club to the green as i was flying the green on the first 3 holes! i have not inquired as to the price of these balls(i'm sure probably 50.00> and up,but they do everything i want a golf ball to do.

Thread Information