CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road

Smile Club fitting for a dummy

I am a high handicap golfer (19) and think that it may be time to look at my equipment to ensure that they're the right length, type, loft etc.

I've gone for lessons several times and am definitely noticing decent improvement in my game, but I have never gotten my clubs fitted to me. I know that many places can do it, but where do you get your best bang for your buck? Kevin Haime? Golf Town?

Also, do they also lengthen/shorten your clubs for you during these sessions, or do they merely measure you out and send you on your way with a piece of paper filled with adjustments that need to be made? I really have no idea what happens during these sessions...

Thanks in advance!

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Sorry Husband, from the title of this thread I thought Indio was going to get fitted...........

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    What end of the city are you in?
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Downtown, but I work in Kanata and the clubs are always in the trunk.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    The best bang for your buck question is hard to answer since it will depend on how far away from optimal your current clubs are and what is required to fix them.

What is important is that the person doing the assessment needs to know what they are doing. Not to pick on the guys at Golftown, but hitting a bunch of balls into the simulator is NOT going to give you an accurate assessment.

Your best bets are probably Golfworks (east end) or Artisan Golf (west end).
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

What he jvincent said
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

If I have a set of clubs that I am fairly happy with, that I seem to hit well with... is it worth getting this done? I'm a total noob on this subject.

I've just read and heard that it is a good idea to have your clubs fitted. Is there something that I would notice in my game that would mean that I need them fitted?

I know this is kind of a broad, non-specific question but I guess I am looking for opinions on why this will help.

Basically the club fitter will measure your wrist to floor, grip.. etc to get the right length for you. As well a lie check will be done to ensure that you are not hitting the sole of the club out towards the toe or in towards the heel., If you are the club fitter will bend them appropriately (within manufacturer tolerences). The proper shaft flex will be determined as well. These are variables that can be changed to the club in order for you to play your best. The other is up to you..i.e lessons, practise and experience.

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Go to Don Irving at Artisan golf and have him check them and your swing out. Probally cost $75.

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Artisan is in the south of Bells Corners but if you work in Kanada and your clubs are in the trunk go to Downhillslider in Stittsville.

www.maxxfitgolf.com

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Artisan golf is in Kanata, south of the the Hazeldean mall off of Eagleson.

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar

Fitting

I went to Don at Artisan Golf on Thursday morning for fitting\assessment of my current clubs. I was fitted before, but the fitting\club assessment Don did was outstanding. The man knows what he is doing.
    I found out my Callaway X-16 irons are 1/2 inch too short and the swing weight is way too heavy. Swing weight is 3 to 4 swing weights to heavy when compared to the specifications on the Callaway website. 3-9 iron is supposed to be D2, PW supposed to be D4.
    My 3-9 irons range from D5.7 to D6.4. My PW is D7.3.
    Yes, they felt heavy right out of the box when I first bought them new 3 years ago, but I never thought they were this heavy. Yes, my arms, hands and back are sore after a round of golf with these irons. My irons have been sent back to Callaway for complete specification check and swing weight analysis. My BB 3 wood and 3 hybrid have been sent to Callaway for the same treatment. My BB 3 wood is also getting shafted with a Regular flex graphite shaft.
    I also found out that my driver is almost perfect for me right off the shelf, got lucky on that one.
    When I can afford it I will get irons shafts lengthened or new shafts put in.
    Don at Artisan Golf is amazing. I highly recommend him for fitting and assessment of your current set of sticks. Artisan Golf has a special on now for assessment of current clubs at $49, down from usual price of $79. Well worth the time and money. This fitting was priceless for me.
    I shoot in the mid to high 90's, I broke 90 for first time ever with an 89 this year. I am interested to see what my scores will be next year with properly weighted and setup clubs. I pray for a short warm winter!
    Last edited by Break68; 11-21-2009 at 08:52 AM. Reason: punctuation error
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Break68 View Post
    I went to Don at Artisan Golf on Thursday morning for fitting\assessment of my current clubs. I was fitted before, but the fitting\club assessment Don did was outstanding. The man knows what he is doing.
    I found out my Callaway X-16 irons are 1/2 inch too short and the swing weight is way too heavy. Swing weight is 3 to 4 swing weights to heavy when compared to the specifications on the Callaway website. 3-9 iron is supposed to be D2, PW supposed to be D4.
    My 3-9 irons range from D5.7 to D6.4. My PW is D7.3.
    Yes, they felt heavy right out of the box when I first bought them new 3 years ago, but I never thought they were this heavy. Yes, my arms, hands and back are sore after a round of golf with these irons. My irons have been sent back to Callaway for complete specification check and swing weight analysis. My BB 3 wood and 3 hybrid have been sent to Callaway for the same treatment. My BB 3 wood is also getting shafted with a Regular flex graphite shaft.
    I also found out that my driver is almost perfect for me right off the shelf, got lucky on that one.
    When I can afford it I will get irons shafts lengthened or new shafts put in.
    Don at Artisan Golf is amazing. I highly recommend him for fitting and assessment of your current set of sticks. Artisan Golf has a special on now for assessment of current clubs at $49, down from usual price of $79. Well worth the time and money. This fitting was priceless for me.
    I shoot in the mid to high 90's, I broke 90 for first time ever with an 89 this year. I am interested to see what my scores will be next year with properly weighted and setup clubs. I pray for a short warm winter!

I second that. I really don't know why every golfer even vaguely serious about their game dosen't go to a real clubfitter like Don and get their clubs/swing looked at. You really cannot compare what he and other professional fitters do compared to happens at golf town on a simulator or at a demo day.

Plus, $50 is a real bargain...it's a couple of hours that I really enjoyed and actually learned quite a lot. Highly highly recommended

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    When I can afford it I will get irons shafts lengthened .
    That will increase the swingweight. Only way to decrease swingweight is to go to lighter shaft especially if you are going to make them longer.
    Otherwise weight would have to be ground off.
    Counterweighing or putting a bigger grip only fools the swingweight scale. It will change the balance point and increase total weight.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

3 Wood Dawg64 is on a distinguished road Dawg64's Avatar
    In total agreement with all those who have been to Artisan Golf. I also went through the club assessment about a year ago now and it was really informative. Don is very knowledgeable and does not try to up sell but gives you a fair view of your current set up and what needs to be done to make things better.
    Highly recommended. Super friendly service.

Dawg64
    Last edited by Dawg64; 11-23-2009 at 03:42 PM.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Having read all this, I am thinking of uograding my Mizuno MX-15's this winter and wonder should I get custom fitted first and then buy the clubs and get the manufacturer tomatch ( if I can do that???) orvise versa but the clubs and then get fitted?

Thoughts?
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Weazl View Post
    Having read all this, I am thinking of uograding my Mizuno MX-15's this winter and wonder should I get custom fitted first and then buy the clubs and get the manufacturer tomatch ( if I can do that???) orvise versa but the clubs and then get fitted?

Thoughts?
    If you love the heads get them first then get fitted.

Does Mizuno do dynamic lie fitting? Frequency matching? Fit for length? Grip sizing?
    Swingweight matching? And so on.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Gotta Post Break68 is on a distinguished road Break68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    That will increase the swingweight. Only way to decrease swingweight is to go to lighter shaft especially if you are going to make them longer.
    Otherwise weight would have to be ground off.
    Counterweighing or putting a bigger grip only fools the swingweight scale. It will change the balance point and increase total weight.
    Cheif, I was wondering and figured as much, well I will be happy just to have them the proper swing-weight and properly specked out by Callaway.
    JB
    Obviously you're not a golfer.

Golf Padawan nokids is on a distinguished road nokids's Avatar
    artisan is closed until feb 2nd, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    You only get out of something what you put into it

Sand Wedge Johnny613 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nokids View Post
    artisan is closed until feb 2nd, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Srsly, headed to Cuba in a week and a half and I just got new Taylor Made TP irons... Was hoping to have them analyzed before going...

Any other suggestions?

Hybrid danscustom is on a distinguished road
    Take a look at www.truelengthtechnology.com for a better understanding of length and lie.

Like chief said, if you lengthen them - they will get heavier, and if they are already too heavy, I would have to stop consider all options. Do you find you long irons OK for length and your short irons too short? If so TLT will help, and also may help control the added weight in some clubs.
    Thanks, Dan
    True Length Technology @ [URL="http://www.danscustomgolfshop.com"]www.danscustomgolfshop.com[/URL]

Thread Information