CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bbq/smoking

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

bbq/smoking

So, i made some epic pulled pork sandwiches a few weeks ago and discovered the awesomeness that is smoking. But, I haven't been able to find anything other than hickory or mequite chips, and want to find something a little milder for doing fish (something like apple or alder). Anyone have advice on where to buy wood chips for the bbq?

7 Iron ForeontheFloor is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    So, i made some epic pulled pork sandwiches a few weeks ago and discovered the awesomeness that is smoking. But, I haven't been able to find anything other than hickory or mequite chips, and want to find something a little milder for doing fish (something like apple or alder). Anyone have advice on where to buy wood chips for the bbq?
    Don't know about your part of town put I can get both Alder and Apple as well as cherry from Canadian Tire. They have the chips but not the chunks. Lowes also has a descent supply of woods. Just bought a offset smoker this year, man that thing is amazing. Did beef ribs last week for 8 hours in hickory, best I have ever had. I was "smoking" with my gas grill before and it does not compare to this offset unit.
    Attached Images

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    I have a Bradley Smoker and it is the Cat's Ass - I use wood pucks that are automatically fed into the unit.

http://bradleysmoker.eseecommerce.co...d=2&parent_id=

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I have a Bradley Smoker and it is the Cat's Ass - I use wood pucks that are automatically fed into the unit.

aaaaaaa that takes all the fun out of it. I like the whole tending to the fire bit. Plus standard bbq rules state that the bbqer is allowed 1 drink for every 20 minutes in front of the grill, so I really like doing a 10-12 hour brisket. If the smoker has a auto loader no need to be in front of the smoker = no drinks

Gap Wedge Grimm is on a distinguished road
    Check LeBaron...while I haven't frequented the store recently, I do remember they always had smokers and chips for sale, with a few varieties as well.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post

That thing is awesome. If you can remove the racks and put a whole turkey in there you have de-throned jvincent as the turkey master.
    Andrew

My wife is bringing her girlfriend from work home for dinner today. I have been doing ribs for them since noon today. I have been sending them these pictures all day.
    Attached Images

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeontheFloor View Post
    My wife is bringing her girlfriend from work home for dinner today. I have been doing ribs for them since noon today. I have been sending them these pictures all day.
    That's a cool chimney on the bbq. Look like your ribs could content at the Spark st ribfest... Was there at lunch, worth the walk across the bridge to get some

Quote Originally Posted by Eldred View Post
    That's a cool chimney on the bbq. Look like your ribs could content at the Spark st ribfest... Was there at lunch, worth the walk across the bridge to get some
    Well thanks, not at that level yet but trying. If your here by 6:30 you can have some. I am in Hamilton.

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeontheFloor View Post
    Well thanks, not at that level yet but trying. If your here by 6:30 you can have some. I am in Hamilton.
    My brother lives in Burlington, maybe I'll transfer to him of the invite some free ribs Now we know Hamilton has at least two things Ottawa doesn't... Funcky looking grills, and a CFL team.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldred View Post
    My brother lives in Burlington, maybe I'll transfer to him of the invite some free ribs Now we know Hamilton has at least two things Ottawa doesn't... Funcky looking grills, and a CFL team.
    By all means send him over I have an open door policy. Don't be to sure Ottawa does not have one of these bbq I was talking to another member how was heading out to buy one.

Also don't forget to tell him about the bbq brie starter and the Smirnoff slushies
    Last edited by ForeontheFloor; 06-26-2009 at 04:51 PM.

Thread Information