100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar

Small, newly planted tree in a LWH

Black #3 @ Greensmere. I pull my tee shot long and left, rolling into the dry section of the lateral water hazard. The ball comes to rest beside a freshly planted decorative shrub inside the boundry of the hazard. I was fortunate enough to be able to safely straddle the plant and play my ball back to the green without causing damage to the flora.

While I don't believe Greensmere has a local rule stating that you may/must take 1 club length relief from newly planted trees under a certain height, I have played on many courses that do.

My question is would that local rule apply, even in a hazard?
    Wannabe Golf

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    If there was a LR giving protection to the tree, it is under Rule 24-2b (immovable obstruction).

Normally there is no relief from an immovable obstruction in a water hazard.

However, in this case the recommend LR permits relief. But the npr must be in the WH and the ball must be dropped in the hazard

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Foddz View Post
    Black #3 @ Greensmere. I pull my tee shot long and left, rolling into the dry section of the lateral water hazard. The ball comes to rest beside a freshly planted decorative shrub inside the boundry of the hazard. I was fortunate enough to be able to safely straddle the plant and play my ball back to the green without causing damage to the flora.

While I don't believe Greensmere has a local rule stating that you may/must take 1 club length relief from newly planted trees under a certain height, I have played on many courses that do.

My question is would that local rule apply, even in a hazard?
    We do have a local rule giving relief from staked or tagged trees and the LR's are posted on the tournament board. Was not aware that a tree had been planted there and will tag it when playing MN on Tuesday. Perhaps when I next repaint the red LWH lines there I will make a detour around it. But, it is an unusual place to plant a small tree.

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    We do have a local rule giving relief from staked or tagged trees and the LR's are posted on the tournament board. Was not aware that a tree had been planted there and will tag it when playing MN on Tuesday. Perhaps when I next repaint the red LWH lines there I will make a detour around it. But, it is an unusual place to plant a small tree.
    Strange, I don't recall seeing it the few times I've looked at the boards. I will have to take a closer look when I'm there tomorrow evening

Agreed at the curious placement for the plants, inside of the hazard boundaries. But they'll certainly add some nice character to the hole when they get a bit more mature.
    Wannabe Golf

Thread Information