100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar

Out of bounds paint line.

Tuesday, while playing alone, my ball came to a stop on the painted out of bounds line. To play the ball I had to stand out of bound and ship the ball back to the fairway.

1-Is the ball considered out of bound when sitting on the line
    2-am I allowed to stand out of bounds to hit my ball?
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    Tuesday, while playing alone, my ball came to a stop on the painted out of bounds line. To play the ball I had to stand out of bound and ship the ball back to the fairway.

1-Is the ball considered out of bound when sitting on the line
    2-am I allowed to stand out of bounds to hit my ball?
    gonna take a stab at this and say no it is not out of bounds and yes you can stand out of bounds to hit it
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    The line is out of bounds and the ball is out of bounds when all of it is out of bounds.

You can stand out of bounds to hit a shot.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    1 - If part of the ball is hanging over the line, on the course side , your sweet
    2 - yes , you may ....furthermore , if the OOB was marked by a fence,you can hit the fence into the ball.

Seeing as your asking these basic questions , I have a feeling you wont know the following rule - When a fence is marking the OOB , its the INSIDE edge of the posts
    Which means , if the fence is on the far side of the posts , you can be OOB even when your ball is on the course side of the fence ..

Note to self , dont go take a dump in the middle of a post .....were No relies when I started typing lmao

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    The line is out of bounds and the ball is out of bounds when all of it is out of bounds.
    If stakes or posts are used to define OB, then the OB line is the nearest inside points at ground level.

Now, hypothetically speaking, the OB PAINTED line that connects the OB posts, is 2" wide and a player's ball lies on the geometric centre of the line. Is the player OB?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Since a golf ball is 1.68 inches in diameter, (which is less than 2") the ball on the center of a 2" line is outside the line defined by the inner side of said line and therefore it's OB.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Since a golf ball is 1.68 inches in diameter, (which is less than 2") the ball on the center of a 2" line is outside the line defined by the inner side of said line and therefore it's OB.
    Exactly.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    If stakes or posts are used to define OB, then the OB line is the nearest inside points at ground level.

Now, hypothetically speaking, the OB PAINTED line that connects the OB posts, is 2" wide and a player's ball lies on the geometric centre of the line. Is the player OB?
    When both stakes and lines are used to indicate out of bounds, the stakes identify out of bounds and the lines define out of bounds. When out of bounds is defined by a line on the ground, the line itself is out of bounds.

Hybrid Gary Madore is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Holy Moley, we've come a long way since golf was just the act of smacking rocks with your shepherd's crook!

I can see that the Rules of Golf were written by lawyers... heh heh

Cheers!

Gary

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Just another (overly complicated) way of saying "If any part of the ball is inside the line it's in bounds".
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy

What???? I did not catch that...
    Last edited by mberube; 06-13-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AAA View Post
    When both stakes and lines are used to indicate out of bounds, the stakes identify out of bounds and the lines define out of bounds. When out of bounds is defined by a line on the ground, the line itself is out of bounds.
    and for a ball to be out of bounds ALL of it must be out of bounds. Therefore, if any part of the ball is hanging over the inside plane of the OB line, regardless of the lines width, it is in bounds.

This is different from a hazard line, red or yellow, in that any part of the ball touching the line makes the ball IN the hazard, but a ball can be touching a white OB line and NOT be OB. Correct?

You sure about the over hanging bit ? I was of the thought a ball touching the course is in bounds

I know we are splitting hairs talking about fractions of mm ....

A ball is out of bounds when all of it lies out of bounds

I'm not sure where there is a contention in the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi battler View Post
    You sure about the over hanging bit ? I was of the thought a ball touching the course is in bounds
    Since the plane of out of bounds extends vertically upwards, it is theoretically possible for the ball to NOT be touching the course, (actually be touching the painted OB line) but still be IN bounds. ALL of the ball must be OB. Yes, we are splitting hairs.

The more I read your last post the more my brain hurts lol

Keeping it simple ...the margin of the course extends vertically ? so a ball not touching the course must therefore be OOB ....my point was , the ball can sit on the painted line , not over hanging it at all , but if its touching the vertical edge on the course side of that line , then its in bounds

If that makes sense lol

The more I read your last post the more my brain hurts lol

Keeping it simple ...the margin of the course extends vertically ? so a ball not touching the course must therefore be OOB ....my point was , the ball can sit on the painted line , not over hanging it at all , but if its touching the vertical edge on the course side of that line , then its in bounds

If that makes sense lol
    To further clarify:

A ball is OB when ALL of it is OB. Therefore, there must be a reference, in this case a line, that will determine whether a ball is OB. The line is one that connects the inner most or course side of OB posts, or is an actual line drawn on the ground. While that line on the ground has width, only the plane of the course side of the painted line is used to determine the balls status. The plane of this line extends vertically upward (and downwards). IF the plane of this line extends through the ball, the ball is IN bounds because NOT ALL of it is out of bounds.

When we officiate we carry a large roll of cord/string to connect adjacent OB stakes or posts on their golf course side. Then, we can see on what side of the cord the ball lies. It matters not what the ball is actually touching for a ball could be up in a tree and be OB or not depending on where it is relative to the vertical OB plane.

My attached diagram should help.
    Attached Images

Ahhhh! Now that is clear. I thought it was the same rule as a goal at hockey thus the ball must be completely over the OOB line to be OOB. It’s clearly not the case in golf.

Thanks.

Mike

You should draw a 3rd pic , showing the ball fully on the painted line , but flush with the vertical OB margin
    Good job on the pics tho , I wanted to do something similar but aint got time to learn how lol

You should draw a 3rd pic , showing the ball fully on the painted line , but flush with the vertical OB margin
    Why? The ball is NOT OB until All of it is outside the vertical plane line.

Why ?

Just to highlight the point I was trying to make , a point that may never arise so bares bugger all relevance , but was missed in your original answer ...

Or at least could be misinterpretted by a newbie to the rules ..

Often you know what you mean while others wont , I know Im often a shocker in that way lol

Just to highlight the point I was trying to make , a point that may never arise so bares bugger all relevance , but was missed in your original answer ...
    A ball is OB when ALL of it is OB. What point did I miss in my original answer?

Post #14 ....wasnt 100% clear , if you read it thru the eyes of a newbie .

Clear in what it said , but missed the fact a ball not overhanging the line , but touching a vertical extension of the line , is still in bounds ..

It doesnt really matter , it wont happen very often lol ....

Post #14 ....wasnt 100% clear , if you read it thru the eyes of a newbie .

Clear in what it said , but missed the fact a ball not overhanging the line , but touching a vertical extension of the line , is still in bounds ..

It doesnt really matter , it wont happen very often lol ....
    Don't you think that we should move on to something challenging like determining if a ball is or is not in a hazard when the red and yellow lines are painted on the ground?

Nah , sounds way too hard , aint got any water hazards on my course , so its my worstest rule , and Id have to think ...the brain would hurt too much lol .......

Thread Information