CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stonebridge

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM View Post
    I actually hope that CL never buys SB. Better to pick up Rivermead or Camelot ....
    Dreamer.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    As someone who just purchased a house within a 5 minute walk of the course, I'm hoping that CL picks this one up and has a very agressive membership drive (price wise, of course). SB isn't even close to being one of my favourite courses, but I think playing a course with that much danger, would make me a much better player. Having all the other CL courses to choose from would also be a huge bonus.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Dreamer.
    Hmmmm time for another thread???

Birdie marcf is on a distinguished road marcf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfdude View Post
    Stonebridge has gone downhill over the last 3 years. Now they have hit a new low by scrapping their driving range in order to build 93 homes. Hopefully this isn't the beginning of a trend in the Ottawa valley. Quality practice facilities at public courses are hard to find. Clublink will never buy this course, it doesn't meet their criteria.

Scrapping their range? Let's think about this for a sec, hmmm, keeping a few golfers happy with giving them a place to practice or make several millions of dollars selling the exact same land, as was the initial plan 10 years ago...I have played golf for 25 years now, and even I see what the answer is.

What criteria are you referring to for Clublink? Seems to me that they have all sorts of different set ups in their course offerings. Do you have a chart or something that the rest of us aren't privy to? Relax, no I don't think Clublink will buy Stonebridge, but I just find it funny how people quote things like they are sitting in a Clublink board meeting and have the inside scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    SB isn't even close to being one of my favourite courses, but I think playing a course with that much danger, would make me a much better player.
    Or you would be poorer for all the balls lost in the fescue.

That's why I buy used golf balls. They've already been through all the trauma of being lost, they never want to go through it again. Plus they're cheap.

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar

Better Condition

Played SB on Saturday morning and was pleased with the overall condition of the course. Some areas of certain fairways have been resoded and the greens were rolling nice and receptive due to the amount of rain we've been getting. Many of the bunkers were unplayable due to the rain but that's understandable. Used their nets to warm up which doesn't replace the driving range, but at least they have them.

3 Wood thematt is on a distinguished road thematt's Avatar
    Played it last Thursday, the course is in good shape, I don't think it's worth the full $60 that they're charging (w/o a cart), but it's nice (this despite the group behind us not being able to wait 2 minutes to hit their drives and almost hitting me on the 10th hole).

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    If SB suffers this year from dropped revenue perhaps they will see it as an indication they need to invest more into satisfying the public golfer. If so then maybe it will motivate them to improve the public golfers view of the course but if they dismiss it as a weather culprit then things will continue to be a challenge.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    If SB suffers this year from dropped revenue perhaps they will see it as an indication they need to invest more into satisfying the public golfer. If so then maybe it will motivate them to improve the public golfers view of the course but if they dismiss it as a weather culprit then things will continue to be a challenge.
    either that or they will plow it under and build more houses...
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

I don't see how they can even fit more houses around there...it's completely packed.

I would not expect them to get rid of the golf course. From a marketing point of view it is a very attractive tool. The lot premium is in the $75K -$100k range for houses that back onto the course, which is a lot of money.

Once every last house is sold don't be surprised to see the course go up for sale though.

As far as replacing the actual course with houses, I wouldn't be surprised if the zoning approval requires the course to be there.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    The golfcourse only existed to sell houses. So they had to keep it looking good when there were lots of houses to sell. I would think the lot premiums more than paid for the course. Soon all the houses will be sold, and Monarch won't want to own the course anymore so it too will be sold.

And at the rate Stonebridge is going, the course will soon be ready for a clublink purchase, as they like to buy courses for bottom dollar that are losing money from owners that want out. I don't want them to buy Stonebridge as I am not a fan of it. There are others I would love for them to buy though.

And at the rate Stonebridge is going, the course will soon be ready for a clublink purchase, as they like to buy courses for bottom dollar that are losing money from owners that want out.
    On the losing money front there's no reason for SB to be losing money (notwithstanding the weather issue this year) other than bad management. Given where they are located they should be able to keep the course busy. It was always pretty busy under the old course manager.

Having said that, it will be a prime Clublink target once Monarch sells all the houses. Whenever this topic comes up I have always said that no sale would happen until then. Maybe if I win the lottery I can outbid Clublink for it.

Pitching Wedge Learning is on a distinguished road Learning's Avatar
    Has anyone play there in the last couple of weeks? Any improvement in terms of condition?

I played on Friday.

The greens are still in good shape as they have been all year.

There has been a fair amount of re-sodding done so there are fewer dead areas on the fairways than before plus the grass is still growing in. It's not perfect, but a lot better than 3-4 weeks ago.

One thing to note is that the fescue REALLY likes all this rain. It is very, very deep and dense.

played a week ago sunday. it's about the same, a few rough fairways, greens are great, bunkers are a mess. The torrential rains have made them small lakes and washed a lot of the sand out. They are by and large unplayable right now.

I find it amazing that they have no twilight rates or anything like that. Even the Marshes is only $65 after 3 with a cart. You can't play Stonebridge at that time for that price with a cart, and at the moment I don't think that the courses can be compared.

Quote Originally Posted by thematt View Post
    I find it amazing that they have no twilight rates or anything like that. Even the Marshes is only $65 after 3 with a cart. You can't play Stonebridge at that time for that price with a cart, and at the moment I don't think that the courses can be compared.

huh? Stonebridge has twilight rates

http://www.ottawagolf.com/stonebridge/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    huh? Stonebridge has twilight rates

http://www.ottawagolf.com/stonebridge/index.htm
    You're right, I completely missed that. I played at 3 last time so it was full pop. That's a big reason that I'll go to The Marshes instead, for an extra $10 I can start an hour earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by thematt View Post
    You're right, I completely missed that. I played at 3 last time so it was full pop. That's a big reason that I'll go to The Marshes instead, for an extra $10 I can start an hour earlier.
    huh (again)?

Stonebridge is $40 after 4PM

Marshes is $65 after 3PM and $55 after 5PM

so to start an hour earlier costs you $25, not $10.

3 Wood Shreen is on a distinguished road
    I don't think the $40 includes cart. Could be wrong.

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    Perhaps the all knowing Monarch Corp. has not given up on Stonebridge just yet. I heard chatter that the course is about to undergo some construction to combat the notion that it is too difficult for the average golfer (apperently tournaments complain and thus avoid booking there). Word has it that greens will be flattened and bunkers removed. I even heard that this could begin as early as October. I by no means have any first hand knowledge of this (was told by a Stonebridge member), but perhaps if anyone else has heard about this too.

IMHO if they do that it will be big mistake.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Rumour I heard is that the 'corporation' that owns the course is planning on declaring bankruptcy and then up go more homes. The 'corporation' is a separate business entity then the home building company.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Rumour I heard is that the 'corporation' that owns the course is planning on declaring bankruptcy and then up go more homes. The 'corporation' is a separate business entity then the home building company.
    Interesting. I guess these would be conflicting rumours! One requires dumping money in, and the other is a full jumping ship.

I think the reno's would be a mistake as well. Perhaps take that money and dump it into a load of sand for the bunkers, some good seed/sod for the fairways and tee-boxes and that would attract more golfers. I think it is a great course, but had a very rough winter and not enough was done to fix this (I won't re-ignite the driving range debate as that is a whole other story). I like the course, so I hope it remains unchanged, just given a little TLC.

I got mine from someone in the ottawa home construction business, not associated with the course or monarch.

I could easily be mistaken here, but I don't think that just because you declare bankruptcy, you can then just bulldoze a golf course and put up homes where it was. I would imagine that there is some sort of recreational zoning issue here. If they wanted to get rid of the course, I would imagine that they would have to apply to have it rezoned with the city, and I couldn't see them actually agreeing to do that.

Imagine all of those people who border the course, who likely paid big lot premiums to back onto the golf course. I'm sure you would see a rush of letters concerning that as soon as any notice was posted.

Maybe I'm wrong, and they're free to do whatever they feel like...

If you go to the Stonebridge web page at the bottom is says very clearly:

"Proudly owned and operated by Monarch Corp." with a link to the Monarch website.

Ya, but look behind the scenes and you could see two different legal entitities, I don't know this for fact, but it's highly possible and actually pretty smart. Separate liability, separate financials.

Thread Information