100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Stonebridge

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    Maybe... Unfortunately, there's no way it'll make any difference in time.
    I think it makes a difference if you no longer have to play from it...

... I can think a few courses that could use a lot more "roped off sections".

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I think it makes a difference if you no longer have to play from it...

... I can think a few courses that could use a lot more "roped off sections".
    We played 'preferred lies' in round 1 at Kanata Lakes. Basically, we could roll the ball with our clubhead within 1 foot no nearer the hole. I'm sure we'll be given at least that much for round 2 but I'm thinking we may need 1 yard on a few holes.

Ridiculous - New trees on #1 tee

Just got back from my final pre-Citizen practice round at Stonebridge. As jvincent stated in another thread, the fairways are still in pretty bad shape and they have started a limited re-sodding effort.

However, the real news is the new trees that have been planted at the first tee just to the right of the blue (2nd from back) tee box. Presumably these have been planted to protect the new houses going in where the range used to be. During last week's round, we noticed these new trees... and I was thinking about how they might be cause for concern for anyone who hits a draw because they would almost be in their line. Last week, the tee blocks were on the far left side of the back tee box. It hadn't even occurred to me that, if the tees were on the far right of the tee box like they were tonight, that these trees would be DIRECTLY IN THE LINE OF PLAY!!!

I've attached a picture I took with my cell phone that shows the view from the middle of the tee blocks on the back tee (sorry for the poor quality... and for allowing jvincent in the pic!). In the middle of the picture is where the 150 yard marker is... er... should be, if it weren't blocked by the trees. Remember now... this is a 404 yard hole and a decent drive should put you at the 150 yard marker. A good drive should put you around the 100.

Now... Given that there was a strong right to left wind blowing when we teed off we had little choice but to aim over them. The other option would be to aim at the 200 yard marker and hit a massive cut. The trees are about 12-15 feet tall and, with a good drive, it's still possible to get the ball over them... but in a year or two?? They're only going to get taller and wider.

Somebody dropped the ball here...
    Attached Images

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    You have to wonder about their focus at this point. The course is secondary to the development and this decision will certainly make it difficult especially in the future. As a lefty it does not pose a problem but I can tell you I have played many courses that have similar obstacles if your a lefty that I am sure the architect/superintendent did not really consider since there were so few lefties.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    You need a better camera phone, you can't even see my double thumbs down salute.

The picture does not do the stupidity of the setup justice because of the wide angle. Actually standing in the middle of the tee box you could just barely see the 200 yard marker. All three of our group hit balls that only just barely cleared the trees.

The funny part is that those trees aren't going to do anything to protect the houses from being hit from the blue/white tees which is the most likely scenario.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Played thereon Sunday from the black tees and the markers where over on the right. Those trees were right in front of us. Really stupid. On the plus side the greens are in awesome shape and I thought the course overall was in pretty good shape, nothing that affected play.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    That is brutal. Those trees will grow quickly. Soon you will have trouble aiming at the 200 marker! Furthermore, they really won't protect the houses from a bad block to the right
    I don't have an ulcer - I am just a carrier.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    You need a better camera phone, you can't even see my double thumbs down salute.
    Was that at the placement of the trees, or the fact that your drive ended up where you were standing?
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    they should have planted them right behind the bird house.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    Was that at the placement of the trees, or the fact that your drive ended up where you were standing?
    Tree placement of course.

Give the "power draw" that I hit I could have conceivably started my tee shot right of the trees and still hit the fairway thanks to the wind.

I e-mailed my concerns to Stonebridge and got a response that said "The Black Tees
    will always be set on the left side of the tee deck to allow a direct line of sight to the 100 yard marker."

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    I e-mailed my concerns to Stonebridge and got a response that said "The Black Tees
    will always be set on the left side of the tee deck to allow a direct line of sight to the 100 yard marker."
    So one can look forward to the left side of that deck being in a constant state of wear...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

The tee deck is big enough that wear shouldn't be an issue especially since so few people play from back there.

I will make it a point to move the tee markers on the first tee if I am ever blocked out from seeing the 100 yard marker.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    So one can look forward to the left side of that deck being in a constant state of wear...
    Well, that tee box has always been in pretty much pristine condition because relatively few people play the back tees and those who do normally hit driver. Provided that they move the tee blocks forward and backward regularly, it should be fine.

I still think the positioning of the trees is ridiculous though. It seems pretty clear to me that the golf course is becoming a lower and lower priority in the eyes of Monarch's management.

bbad
    I'd like to know if Bouche can go on the right side of the trees and still make it back onto the green?

6 Iron cobra is on a distinguished road cobra's Avatar

Equinelle

I've been a loyal Stonebridge player/resident for a few years. The condition of the course, lack of of driving range etc., pisses me off.

The fact that Equinelle is open just 20 mins away hopefully will wake the folks up at SB. Equinelle is a fantastic course, can't wait for the back nine to open.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Well I played yesterday and the Black tees were on the RIGHT!!! Those trees are really in the way. Been a long time since I played SB and the conditions are not 100% but a bit better than I expected really. Still don't like the course that much. Greens too severe. I hit some really good approaches that just won't hold the green. Pin placements for today looked very fair though.

BTW the trees on 18 are no better than those on #1 IMHO.

What dummies. Like I said earlier, I will be moving the markers if they are ever on the right when I am playing. If the starter gives me a hard time I will just ignore him.

The trees on 18, although annoying, are much less of a problem.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    What, and break the rules!!
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

If I move the markers I am doing that in my role as the head of the newly appointed committee. Nothing wrong with a bloodless coup in the face of stupidity.

Excellent idea.
    Lefty Lucas

7 Wood macspesh is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    You have to wonder about their focus at this point. The course is secondary to the development and this decision will certainly make it difficult especially in the future. As a lefty it does not pose a problem but I can tell you I have played many courses that have similar obstacles if your a lefty that I am sure the architect/superintendent did not really consider since there were so few lefties.
    Definitely true about development taking centre stage over the course. Notice how many homes are jammed in so close to play?
    I haven't played a round yet without noticing some poor bugger's picture window held together with duct tape as a result of a stray ball. Yikes!
    Sure, every business needs to be profitable, but these developers really need to relax with "maxing out" profits at seemingly any cost. Sign of the times I suppose

Sand Wedge golfdude is on a distinguished road
    Stonebridge has gone downhill over the last 3 years. Now they have hit a new low by scrapping their driving range in order to build 93 homes. Hopefully this isn't the beginning of a trend in the Ottawa valley. Quality practice facilities at public courses are hard to find. Clublink will never buy this course, it doesn't meet their criteria.

Monarch bulldozing the driving range is simple economics.

93 x $500,000 is a LOT more than they would have been able to sell the course for even if it had a driving range.

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    I'm thinking there's not a half mil of profit in each lot but you're right... bottom line is, long term Monarch is in the land development biz not the golf biz

I wasn't thinking profit, just revenue, but any way you slice it they would never sell enough balls at the driving range in a hundred years to even come close.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    $8M is what I heard they were making off the range. That's more than what club link paid for Eagle Creek isn't it? Bad for golfers, good for business.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfdude View Post
    Stonebridge has gone downhill over the last 3 years. Now they have hit a new low by scrapping their driving range in order to build 93 homes. Hopefully this isn't the beginning of a trend in the Ottawa valley. Quality practice facilities at public courses are hard to find. Clublink will never buy this course, it doesn't meet their criteria.
    Actually it is almost the same as Hautes Plaines... Short course, lots of houses, no driving range. Stonebridge has a better clubhouse...
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    Actually it is almost the same as Hautes Plaines... Short course, lots of houses, no driving range. Stonebridge has a better clubhouse...
    CL bought HP when they needed a cheap entry into the Outaouais area so the facilities were most likely secondary to the overall price. Plus I'm pretty sure that when they bought the Dome it had a range, before they were forced to change number 10 to a par 3 and they converted 8 to a par 5.

I am surprised that Stonebridge did not save at least a part of the range. It was probably 3 times the size it needed to be and it was never full except before a tournament I imagine.

I actually hope that CL never buys SB. Better to pick up Rivermead or Camelot ....

The driving range nearby was likely a factor as well, they should get some sort of deal for members to use that range. I know I will go there prior to any game at Stonebridge.
    Lefty Lucas

Thread Information