100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Stonebridge

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Possible, but in this case highly unlikely.

Monarch has always promoted themselves as owners of the course. If they tried to pull a legal maneuver to be able to bulldoze the course, which I doubt they could do for zoning reasons anyway, it would be a lawyers wet dream.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Bogie tmacgolf is on a distinguished road tmacgolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Rumour I heard is that the 'corporation' that owns the course is planning on declaring bankruptcy and then up go more homes. The 'corporation' is a separate business entity then the home building company.
    I just realised what you meant by "and then up go more homes". There is no way they are removing the course. It is legally impossible. Zoning laws, and protected environmental areas are one reason, not to mention the fact that people paid a hefty premium to buy a house from Monarch (yes, they own Stonebridge), that backed onto the course. The land in most areas is between existing houses and roads, which would make it impossible to add new roads, sewer/water services, etc...
    I think that is a pretty over the top rumour. Sorry.

Playing Winter Rules Swerve is on a distinguished road
    Another thing to consider is how would houses work where the golf course s? I'm sure you would find that it would be almost impossible to incorporate houses and the infrastructure needed (roads, sewers, gas and power lines, etc...) down a fairway between 2 other already completed streets.

Putter huntmember is on a distinguished road
    Stonebridge has announced (my co-worker is a member) that the Monarch Corporation has hired a golf consulting firm to look at many aspects of the course including playability, drainage, esthetics, house safety, member/guest enjoyment, etc.. and that recomendations will be implemented ASAP.

I would be curious to know what the consulting firm is charging.

Whatever it is, I'd offer my services for 1/2 the price.

As I stated earlier, I hope they don't change too much. Although something tells me that "playability" translates into so long fescue.

That would be my guess as well. But when you get right down to it on all but a couple of holes, you have to hit it pretty far offline to get it into the fescue.

My guesses for changes are as follows:

#1. They will move the tee box to the left of the path. The new houses where the range used to be are in big danger right now and the stupid trees they put up offer no protection.

#5. I wouldn't be surprised to see the tee box moved to the right or even the back ones closed. Again, this is because of the houses on the right side.

#8. The fescue on the right side of the fairway will be cut. It's a slicer's graveyard right now.

#10. Lower the fescue on both sides to speed up play.

#12. Lower the fescue on the left. Personally I would love this because when I make a mistake on this hole, that's usually where it is.

#13. They've already messed this hole up enough so they might as well go all the way and make it a par 3. If it were me I'd cut down the trees that screw up the angle for the back tee box and plant a row of trees on the hill down the right hand side.

Those are the obvious ones other than a general lowering of the fescue. Anyone taking odds on this?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    It's probably just another rumour, but if not I'd expect a recommendation to redo many of the greens to be less undulating. That of course would likely not go over well with Monarch, as it would require closing the course for a season to do the work. It would certainly make the course more playable for the average golfer.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    If the greens are at a reasonable speed and the don't get stupid with the placement of pins, the greens are more of a mental thing than anything else.

The only thing stopping people from tearing that course apart is the fescue. They can thin it out a bit, but if they get rid of too much, the lack of length on the course will soon make it a pitch and putt. #5 would be the only par 5 that wouldn't be littered with eagles.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

The funny thing about SB is that the greens have been slow (relatively speaking) for about 4 seasons now. People are just scaredy cats.

Even without the other par 5s are still not pushovers unless you are playing from the forward tees. They are protected by water and/or the greens are elevated so they can still be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    It's probably just another rumour, but if not I'd expect a recommendation to redo many of the greens to be less undulating. That of course would likely not go over well with Monarch, as it would require closing the course for a season to do the work. It would certainly make the course more playable for the average golfer.

Not a rumour anymore. An email went out to all members.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmacgolf View Post
    Not a rumour anymore. An email went out to all members.
    Can you share that content?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Can you share that content?
    The content of the email is pretty much exactly what what HuntMember posted above, however, the bulk of the "work" will be to improve drainage which has been the main cause of the poor conditions of some holes. The greens will not be changed, the fescue will not be removed/cut short (except for the left on 10 as it is right now to pull shots away from homes on the right).
    Also, as of tomorrow, they will be aerating greens and tee boxes, however, they are informing all who call before booking, and are offering 1/2 price greens fees this week as a result.
    I'm not trying to stir up repition of this forum (as I believe it is 2-3 years old), but I would like to put in my 2 cents that this is a good, challenging course that requires a tight game. It has been in a bit of rough shape, but that is hopefully being addressed by the improved drainage (the snow has been melting, not draining and then mixing with frost to wreek havok on the grass). The greens although not as fast as they used to be are still challenging and quite "fun". Also, you are usually assured a fairly good pace of play as the marshalls do a good job of keeping things moving. Anyway, just my oppinion but I think it is still a great track that we have access to. It is nice to be a bit spoiled as golfers in Ottawa, as we have lots to chose from in lots of price ranges.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tmacgolf View Post
    The content of the email is pretty much exactly what what HuntMember posted above, however, the bulk of the "work" will be to improve drainage which has been the main cause of the poor conditions of some holes. The greens will not be changed, the fescue will not be removed/cut short (except for the left on 10 as it is right now to pull shots away from homes on the right).
    Also, as of tomorrow, they will be aerating greens and tee boxes, however, they are informing all who call before booking, and are offering 1/2 price greens fees this week as a result.
    I'm not trying to stir up repition of this forum (as I believe it is 2-3 years old), but I would like to put in my 2 cents that this is a good, challenging course that requires a tight game. It has been in a bit of rough shape, but that is hopefully being addressed by the improved drainage (the snow has been melting, not draining and then mixing with frost to wreek havok on the grass). The greens although not as fast as they used to be are still challenging and quite "fun". Also, you are usually assured a fairly good pace of play as the marshalls do a good job of keeping things moving. Anyway, just my oppinion but I think it is still a great track that we have access to. It is nice to be a bit spoiled as golfers in Ottawa, as we have lots to chose from in lots of price ranges.
    Thanks for this... so does that mean they are closing it for the season next year?
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    Thanks for this... so does that mean they are closing it for the season next year?
    Not at all. All work would be completed before this winter.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I for one would not touch the greens, make them more receptive is good. I think of Montebello and I find their greens very tough but since they are soft then a good golf shot is rewarded.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

5 Wood Grabster is on a distinguished road
    Sorry to change topics but it's still about Stonebridge...

Last time I played Stonebridge, I noticed a sign on #1 saying that I am responsible for any damages my golf ball does to homes/property along the course.
    Is that new?
    Does that mean the policy changed? Did they cover stuff like that before?

I always thought that the course and the home owners both had insurance for 'golf accidents'.
    Do I need golf insurance?

And yes, I have hit a house there in the past. Luckily no damage.

Lob Wedge slice is on a distinguished road
    I would drop Stonebridge over Pineview mostly because of the rate charged to CG members. Upper Canada, Canadian and Loch Marsh would be great additions but I think it's not that management of CG have not tried rather I think it's that these golf courses have requested a significant fee or they are just not interested in becoming a part of CG course list.

Albatross Smoothie is on a distinguished road Smoothie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabster View Post
    Sorry to change topics but it's still about Stonebridge...

Last time I played Stonebridge, I noticed a sign on #1 saying that I am responsible for any damages my golf ball does to homes/property along the course.
    Is that new?
    Does that mean the policy changed? Did they cover stuff like that before?

I always thought that the course and the home owners both had insurance for 'golf accidents'.
    Do I need golf insurance?

And yes, I have hit a house there in the past. Luckily no damage.
    I'm almost certain the course covers the replacement of broken windows, but not any damage to brick etc on a home.

Thread Information