100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road

Why use Pro V1 balls???

I can't believe how many guys I see using ProV1 balls. And these golfers range from low to high handicaps...

I am curious, why do so many people use a ball that is designed for "pro" swingspeeds? Unless you are swinging a driver over 115 mph, you are not benefiting from the ProV1 technology.

I am sure there are a number of people here who have the clubspeed, but the majority do not, so I am wondering, why waste the money on a ball that does not suit your game and swingspeed at all...

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    I am one of the people that does not have the swing speed for Pro-v's and have used them on occasion to have fun hitting into greens.Last year i found out that its not for me so i switched to a lower comp.ball to get the xtra distance that i need off the tee.I miss having my ball check up for sure but i dont miss the lost yardage.They are expensive when you buy new but if you have the game for them,there is no better ball to play.But you are right,a lot of people do not have the speed to take advantage of the benefits of this ball.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I use the ProV a lot and find they are great around the green and I sure don't lose distance from most other balls. If you're losing a few balls a round it's probably not the ball for you but I find that they will last a few rounds before getting too scuffed up. If I play some of the cheaper balls after 4 or 5 holes they're usually not worth hitting again. I like the Bridgestone ball also but have found the B330's scuff up way quicker than the E6+. I also find a lot of ProV's that I'll end up throwing into the bag so don't mind losing the odd one or two. Just can't beat the way they work around the green. Now all I need to do is get better at putting them where I want.

Hybrid Gary Madore is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by golfisforfun View Post
    I am curious, why do so many people use a ball that is designed for "pro" swingspeeds?
    Marketing.

Cheers!

Gary

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    I've never seen it stated anywhere that the Pro V1 is designed for 115mph swing speeds. What's your source?

For me, using the Pro V1 has next to nothing to do with how far it goes. It's all about the feel around the greens. I don't need a 'pro' swing speed to get the benefit.

Hybrid keble is on a distinguished road
    the distance goes similar for me with Pro V1 and NXT, or DT solo... for me, Pro V1 does roll that much compared to NXT on the green with my pitching or iron shots, so more chance to score better for me.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    I can't believe how many guys I see using ProV1 balls. And these golfers range from low to high handicaps...

I am curious, why do so many people use a ball that is designed for "pro" swingspeeds? Unless you are swinging a driver over 115 mph, you are not benefiting from the ProV1 technology.

I am sure there are a number of people here who have the clubspeed, but the majority do not, so I am wondering, why waste the money on a ball that does not suit your game and swingspeed at all...
    I have come to know how my PROV1 will react on the green. Anything harder and I can't control the spin.... and guess what, I don't have a 115mph swing speed.
    I am curiuos though as to how a PROV1 only benefits someone with a 115mph swing speed. I have never seen any pro generating 115mph swing speed when wedging a shot into the green.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

3 Wood maximus is on a distinguished road maximus's Avatar

http://thesandtrap.com/bag_drop/titleist_launches_new_pro_v1_and_pro_v1x_golf_ball s

Doesn't sound like swing speed is much of a factor.

Personally, I don't have the consistent game or the budget to justify buying shiny new ones, but I enjoy playing "mint"/"AAA" ProV1s purchased used, especially on par 3s. More of a psychological boost than anything for me. I feel like such a champ if I throw a dart with one.

Hybrid Bravesox is on a distinguished road Bravesox's Avatar
    pretty sure the ProV1 is for under 100 mph and the ProV1X is for over 100mph. You dont need to be that great to use one, just makes more sense for your wallet if you are losing 3+ balls a round.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    The problem with old farts like me is i cant compress it with a speed of 85 mph.Actually i have compared with Dt Solo and lost about 10 yards or so off the drive.You dont need a swing speed of 115 mph but over 100 is good.I find that when your swing is off,they tend to exagarate your mistakes a bit more.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I spent a lot of time at the end of last year trying to find a ball that works for me. The ProV1's are fantastic for sure around the green but I couldn't get it going as far of the tee. However, the real clincher for me was simply cost. I'm a beginner, and I'm not wealthy. I would rather play a decent cheaper ball and spend my money on lessons and playing more than $4 a ball when I could easily lose 3 a round

As I get better I'm sure I will get more out of a better ball but for now I don't believe playing a ProV1 would benefit my game and it would cost my wallet.

Sand Wedge golfdude is on a distinguished road
    The Pro V is pretty much a standard in my bag. Every year I try different balls but I keeep on coming back to it, it just seems to fly straigher and bites more around the green. Having said this, I don't like it under 16 degrees as the shell gets too hard to work properly.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    You can get a dozen pro v1's for 15$ at Walmart.

Out of Bounds orangeTANG is on a distinguished road
    I assume its the cheaper price of last year ProVs but I've noticed over the past month that I find a lot more of them in the bush. It feels like every time I go in there I'm pulling one out. I think I have 8-10 of them in my bag now.

So I guess its the price that is getting some of the higher handicapers to play them now. I do enjoy playing them when I find them, I just have to remember that I'm hitting them when I'm hitting my approach shots.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    You can get a dozen pro v1's for 15$ at Walmart.
    NEW?????? Really????
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    The problem with old farts like me is i cant compress it with a speed of 85 mph.Actually i have compared with Dt Solo and lost about 10 yards or so off the drive.You dont need a swing speed of 115 mph but over 100 is good.I find that when your swing is off,they tend to exagarate your mistakes a bit more.
    Marcos, you have my curious, what ball do you use? I swing like an 'old fart' cause of my physical limitations and miss the distance I used to have.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Not new but the are absolutely fine and play just like a new one does.

Sand Wedge golfdude is on a distinguished road
    Last years ProV is available for $39.95 at Golf Town. The balls are new. I have heard the reason for the price drop is Callaway has taken legal action against Titlest over patent infringement with Top Flite forcing Titlest into selling these puppies really cheap.

Pitching Wedge wattsy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by golfdude View Post
    Last years ProV is available for $39.95 at Golf Town. The balls are new. I have heard the reason for the price drop is Callaway has taken legal action against Titlest over patent infringement with Top Flite forcing Titlest into selling these puppies really cheap.

I think Callaway had been fighting Acushnet over some kind of patent against the ProV1 for a few years now. I had heard about 2 years ago that they had won the case, but Titleist was allowed to sell the remainder of it's inventory. Maybe that's the reason for this 'new' ProV1, but I'm just speculating.

Eagle dhacker1956 is on a distinguished road

not so

Almost all proline balls are the same compression. 90-100. As for the difference betwen ProV1 and the ProV1X it is in the spin off the club head. The X's spin less. Better for driver distance and not so good for approaches. Doesn't Not matter to me as the Nike One Tour is a better all around ball anyway and MUCH cheaper. IMHO
    Nike has the same lineup. The One Tour spins more than the One Tour D's and the Vapors spin even less. Kinda like the ProV's then the X's then the Titleist Rocks!

Of course the hardest one of all it the Top Rock(Flite)!

Par Sparkplug is on a distinguished road Sparkplug's Avatar

why use Pro V 1's

I think the Saint said it.

You know what to expect with the ball. Its great on approach shots and around the greens. That is where you score right.

To me the Pro V1 is worth 1 less stroke per round.

Agree to some comments that if you lose alot of balls then its not worth it.

I Don't lose many and I'm at the stage if life that if I want to play a premium ball then i'm good with it.

As for the best ball, lets all face it the Pro V1 is better than all the rest. If a Pro was not payed to play a certian brand of ball what would they choose... Pro V1 of course.

Its just a matter of predictability, just like Dynamic Golds in irons, not sexy, not expensive but hey they work and just as good as some of the new sexier companies.

opinion or Fact?

Sparkplug.... Please state your opinions as such. I have another one. At 53 years old Am playing the best golf of my 42 years in golf. I played ProV's when they were a heck of a lot better than they are now. I have given Prov's the chance every spring since the Nike One series started and they can't hold a Birthday candle to the Nike ball. IMO!!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    hard to argue with the fact that the best player in the world plays a Nike.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    hard to argue with the fact that the best player in the world plays a Nike.
    Because the best player in the world gets paid a lot of money to play it. Titleist is the number one ball in all of golf at all levels by far.

Sand Wedge doublepar is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Because the best player in the world gets paid a lot of money to play it. Titleist is the number one ball in all of golf at all levels by far.
    Perhaps when the Pro V1 first came out it was, but there are several other companies that make comparable if not better balls. Do you really think a tour player would sacrifice his chances of winning tournaments for less money than one tour win if Titleists were clearly that much better? Tiger Woods is way too competitive to play balls that would hurt his chances of reaching his goal of 18 majors, but perhaps you know more about golf balls than he does.
    Right now Srixon, Nike, Callaway, Bridgestone and TaylorMade all make balls that compete well with Titleist - if you don't believe me you should try them out. I'm currently playing and loving the Srixon Z-Star - as their slogan says: "Play a Better Ball"

Like he needs the money?!

Yes he plays it but his contract states that he is NOT required to play any equipment of any brand. He can play what he wants to play!!! Hence, he does not use Nike putters!!! All Tiger is after is major victories. He will play what he feels will give him the best chance to win them.
    This would tell anyone who uses his head that he believes it is the best ball for him.
    Ultimately that all any of us can do. Does me NO good to use a ball that I do not feel comfortable with just because more touring pros use it. It is all a matter of feel. My only point is NO ONE can tell me what the BEST ball is for me only for them self.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    If there was a noticeable difference, he would play a ProV1 too. He wants to win. If you're a cynic and think he's in it for the money, then he would STILL play a ProV1 because a better ball means more victories means more money and more endorsements. If ProVs were as good as they are supposed to be, he would be using one. Truth is, Nike and TM have caught up in terms of ball technology, just not reputation.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    there are lots of good balls out there that aren't ProV1's and in my experience they all are more or less the same for the average player. ProV1, TM TP, Nike One, Callway Tour I, etc. I'll take any of those any day. I'd even add TopFlite D2 Feel to that list.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Besides, if Tiger was only in it for the money he'd have retired a long time ago. The man is obviously not motivated by money.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    I was going through my Golf Canada magazine yesterday and they had a Titleist add with the following interesting ProV1 stats. I don't have the numbers exactly memorized, but these are close enough. They are worldwide numbers.

Number of professionals playing Titleist: 10,000 +
    Number of professionals playing other balls: ~1700

Number of wins by Titleist: ~73
    Number of wins by others: ~17

Doing some math, the win percentage for the other balls as a percentage of people playing them is actually HIGHER than the Titleist balls. Almost 37% higher in fact!

So, if you want to win, you should really be playing something other than Titleist. Your odds are 37% better.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Thread Information