CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rm vs. Eg

Bogie irish_OG is on a distinguished road irish_OG's Avatar

Rm vs. Eg

So i'm just throwing this out there......I have a RM pass (1st season with it) and i'm kinda regreting purcshaing this one over EG - EG has more courses to pick from and i'm getting frustrated trying to book a tee time under the members link and see limited spots (i'm talking about weekday golf - not weekend) then I look under "Public" and the course seems wide open with all spot available.........

I've just sent RM rep an email to see if this how its always going to be - or maybe, hopefuly its just a system glitch ?!?

Anyone having the same dilemma.........

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    There are only a limited number of spots per day per course for either RM or EG. I was a member of RM last year and the key for me was to plan ahead. As an example, the Meadows has a 3 or 4 day advance booking, so when the day I wanted to play became open for booking, I tried to book it either that night after midnight, or early in the morning the next day. The spots there filled up very quickly. Manderley, Chateau Cartier, Metcalfe, Casselview, LVM....you pretty much need to book well in advance to book any of them.

6 Iron Ehmcee is on a distinguished road
    Planning ahead is key to getting a spot with any of the discount golf programs (Corporate Golf, Executive or RM). You should always be able to find a spot but you won't always get the course you want.

CG and EG have more spots than RM but they also have more members. I had an EG membership last year, this year I went with CG. Maybe next year I'll try RM.

Hybrid Gary Madore is on a distinguished road
    Please allow me to tag along on this thread and say "thanks for the info, guys."

I am currently trying to decide between spending around $1500 on a course membership or on a RM/EG type of arrangement.

Info like this will help me figure it out.

Cheers!

Gary

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by irish_one View Post
    So i'm just throwing this out there......I have a RM pass (1st season with it) and i'm kinda regreting purcshaing this one over EG - EG has more courses to pick from and i'm getting frustrated trying to book a tee time under the members link and see limited spots (i'm talking about weekday golf - not weekend) then I look under "Public" and the course seems wide open with all spot available.........

I've just sent RM rep an email to see if this how its always going to be - or maybe, hopefuly its just a system glitch ?!?

Anyone having the same dilemma.........
    If you're trying to book a couple of days in advance on a course with limited spots close to town, then yes. You'll find that EG and CG are exactly the same. To make these discount plans work, you either have to plan ahead and/or be willing to travel a little.

I'm a long-time RM member, and this year so far I'm playing mostly weekdays. The only courses I definitely have to plan ahead for are Meadows, Metcalfe, Manderley, Pineview and Chateau Cartier. If the weather forecast is great, Casselview and Nation will often fill up too - but generally speaking everywhere else usually has spots available.

Bottom line is that if you want a certain course, plan ahead. If you want a last minute round, you might get lucky but be prepared for at least a 1/2 drive out of town or settle for an "subpar" course.

meadows is my prefered course as its 10 mins from my house.....and I havnt been able to get on using the card

My frustration is when trying to book yesterday for another in town course (pineview) for this friday the RM spots were so limited for tee times (starting in the afternoon some time) whereas when I went through the Public side it seems all tee times were available......again

i'm playing this friday at Champlain for the 1st time - its only 21 mins away and from what i've heard its decent.

I much prefer the morning spot and it just doesnt seem this "card" can accomodate that very easily.

Maybe i start saving up - for a Club Link Membership - or ever a spot a Camelot.....

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    My frustration is when trying to book yesterday for another in town course (pineview) for this friday the RM spots were so limited for tee times (starting in the afternoon some time) whereas when I went through the Public side it seems all tee times were available......again
    This is not supposed to be the case - there is a problem somewhere. I'll have it looked into. Sorry I did not realize this was what you meant sooner.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

thanks Kilroy - i appreciate you looking into this!!

Unfortunately I believe Nigel is out tof town until next week, but we will get it fixed.

Really sorry for the inconvenience.

Hybrid Gary Madore is on a distinguished road
    Another "me too" question if y'all don't mind:

I read something here earlier about east/west bias between RM & EG.

I live in Gloucester (I could throw a rock & hit Pineview) and so would gravitate toward an eastern-course bias if indeed there is such an animal.

I'm wondering if there really is a geographical difference, and if so, where CG fits in with the other two along these lines.

Thanks,

Cheers!

Gary (still trying to decide between a full membership at Hylands or joining one of the available clubs)

1 Iron dmr is on a distinguished road dmr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Madore View Post
    Another "me too" question if y'all don't mind:

I read something here earlier about east/west bias between RM & EG.

I live in Gloucester (I could throw a rock & hit Pineview) and so would gravitate toward an eastern-course bias if indeed there is such an animal.
    I work accross the street from Pineview and like to golf in the east end - I think they are pretty much the same for east end courses BUT RM has Meadows and EG has Outaouais. I really like to play Outaouais so I picked EG over RM.
    "I killed a guy with a trident." Brick Tamland

Quote Originally Posted by dmr View Post
    I work accross the street from Pineview and like to golf in the east end - I think they are pretty much the same for east end courses BUT RM has Meadows and EG has Outaouais. I really like to play Outaouais so I picked EG over RM.
    EG also has Stonebridge, marshes, pineview 9, metcalfe 9, falcon ridge and little sister........so for 70$ more EG is my hinsight pick of the 2.

where do you work? I also work across the street from Pineview...

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Here is the side-by-side spreadsheet that I created:

Golf Course Executive Golf ($270) Corporate Golf ($270) Reservation Masters ($199)
    Arnprior Golf Club at Sand Point Yes Yes Yes
    Bearbrook Golf Club Yes Yes No
    Briar Fox No No Yes
    Buckingham Golf Club Yes Yes No
    Calabogie Highlands Resort No Yes No
    Camden Braes No No Yes
    Canadian Yes No No
    Casselview Golf and Country Club Yes Yes Yes
    Cedar Glen Golf Club Yes Yes Yes
    Cedarhill Golf Course Yes Yes No
    Champlain Golf Club Yes Yes Yes
    Chateau Cartier Resort Yes Yes Yes
    Dragonfly Golf Links Yes Yes No
    Edelweiss Yes Yes No
    Falcon Ridge Yes Yes No
    Glen Mar Golf Course No Yes No
    Hammond Golf Club Yes Yes Yes
    Heritage No No Yes
    Irish Hills Yes Yes No
    Kingsway Park Yes No No
    La Cite Golf Club No Yes No
    Les Ruisseaux No No Yes
    Le Sorcier Golf Club Yes Yes No
    Les Vieux Moulins Golf Club Yes Yes Yes
    Lombard Glen Golf and Country Club Yes Yes Yes
    Loyalist Country Club Yes No No
    Madawaska Golf Course No Yes No
    Manderley No No Yes
    Marshes Golf Club Yes Yes No
    Meadows No No Yes
    Metcalfe Yes No Yes
    Mississippi Golf Club No Yes Yes
    Mont Cascade No Yes Yes
    Mont-Ste-Marie Yes No Yes
    Montebello Yes Yes No
    Mountain Creek Golf Course Yes Yes Yes
    Nation Yes Yes Yes
    Nationview Golf Course Yes Yes No
    Oaks of Cobden Golf Club No Yes Yes
    Oasis No No Yes
    Outaouais Yes Yes No
    Pakenham Highlands No Yes No
    Perth Links O'Tay Yes Yes Yes
    Pineview Yes Yes Yes
    Poplar Grove No Yes Yes
    Poplars (Tweed) No No Yes
    Prescott Golf and Country Club Yes Yes No
    Renfrew Golf and Country Club No Yes No
    Richmond Centennial Yes No Yes
    Riverbend Golf and Country Club Yes Yes Yes
    Royal Papineau No Yes Yes
    Smiths Falls Golf Club No Yes No
    Smuggler's Glen Yes No No
    Stonebridge Golf Club Yes Yes No
    Tecumseh No Yes No
    Thurso No No Yes
    Timber Run Golf and Country Club Yes Yes Yes
    Whitetail Golf Club No Yes No
    Number of available courses 35 Courses 42 Courses 32 Courses

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    corp golf books up pretty fast and if you wait till the day before or the day of you don't have much selection. I have to plan ahead big time for sure. I haven't tried the other ones but really wanted to join RM this year but I got vetoed by the guys and if 8 of the guys i play with are all on CG and wont play with me if I play a non CG and I don't play with them if they play a non RM... kinda sucks for my golf season.

Other than that, I would hands down go with RM. Its $80 cheaper (thats 5 free rounds in comparison to the others). I have no use for events, leagues, ect.

Also manderley is my fav course in ottawa and its not on CG.

Also, the online reervation master booking system really compliments the RM discount golf really well. Finally, I don't like this phone booking system at corp golf. having 1 hour for phone bookings and then online booking almost does nothing for me as I still have to wake up at 6:55 to book tee times to make sure I get them. I'm seriously thinking of jumping ship to RM regardless of if my friends come with
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

1 Iron dmr is on a distinguished road dmr's Avatar
    EG also has Stonebridge, marshes, pineview 9, metcalfe 9, falcon ridge and little sister........so for 70$ more EG is my hinsight pick of the 2.

where do you work? I also work across the street from Pineview...
    I'm at Telesat. When I started here 10+ years ago I was so stoked about having a golf course accross the street - man was I dissapointed. Back then we called Pineview Clayview - I probably played there 3 times the first year and never went back until last year. What a pleasant surprise, I played both courses last year and really enjoyed myself - too bad I don't have time to play much golf anymore although I hear Pineview is not doing so well this year.

OB on topic - I still think RM is great value plus the booking is easier. For me it would be all about Outaouais.
    "I killed a guy with a trident." Brick Tamland

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    EG is 80.00 more than RM and CG; but with the EG membership you also get 5 free games......so it works out to about the same price---give or take a few bucks. If you sit down and figure out your average cost for 36 games with all three ---your going to find that it works out to pennies difference. The big difference is the choice of courses---each one fits a different golfer. Now that CG has online booking--I dont think theres rreally any difference---you just have to plan ahead. Hell what have we got to complain about---I'm sure most of us wouldn't be golfing as much without these guys---I think they are the greatest game in town
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

6 Iron Ehmcee is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    I don't like this phone booking system at corp golf. having 1 hour for phone bookings and then online booking almost does nothing for me as I still have to wake up at 6:55 to book tee times to make sure I get them. I'm seriously thinking of jumping ship to RM regardless of if my friends come with
    It does not sound like the issue is the phone system at CG but more the start time. If CG was 100% online booking you would still need to be up before 7am if that is when they allow access to spots.

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    Great post... It would be interesting to know how many spots they have on each course. I am EG so I can send you that info...

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Here is the side-by-side spreadsheet that I created:

Golf Course Executive Golf ($270) Corporate Golf ($270) Reservation Masters ($199)
    Arnprior Golf Club at Sand Point Yes Yes Yes
    Bearbrook Golf Club Yes Yes No
    Briar Fox No No Yes
    Buckingham Golf Club Yes Yes No
    Calabogie Highlands Resort No Yes No
    Camden Braes No No Yes
    Canadian Yes No No
    Casselview Golf and Country Club Yes Yes Yes
    Cedar Glen Golf Club Yes Yes Yes
    Cedarhill Golf Course Yes Yes No
    Champlain Golf Club Yes Yes Yes
    Chateau Cartier Resort Yes Yes Yes
    Dragonfly Golf Links Yes Yes No
    Edelweiss Yes Yes No
    Falcon Ridge Yes Yes No
    Glen Mar Golf Course No Yes No
    Hammond Golf Club Yes Yes Yes
    Heritage No No Yes
    Irish Hills Yes Yes No
    Kingsway Park Yes No No
    La Cite Golf Club No Yes No
    Les Ruisseaux No No Yes
    Le Sorcier Golf Club Yes Yes No
    Les Vieux Moulins Golf Club Yes Yes Yes
    Lombard Glen Golf and Country Club Yes Yes Yes
    Loyalist Country Club Yes No No
    Madawaska Golf Course No Yes No
    Manderley No No Yes
    Marshes Golf Club Yes Yes No
    Meadows No No Yes
    Metcalfe Yes No Yes
    Mississippi Golf Club No Yes Yes
    Mont Cascade No Yes Yes
    Mont-Ste-Marie Yes No Yes
    Montebello Yes Yes No
    Mountain Creek Golf Course Yes Yes Yes
    Nation Yes Yes Yes
    Nationview Golf Course Yes Yes No
    Oaks of Cobden Golf Club No Yes Yes
    Oasis No No Yes
    Outaouais Yes Yes No
    Pakenham Highlands No Yes No
    Perth Links O'Tay Yes Yes Yes
    Pineview Yes Yes Yes
    Poplar Grove No Yes Yes
    Poplars (Tweed) No No Yes
    Prescott Golf and Country Club Yes Yes No
    Renfrew Golf and Country Club No Yes No
    Richmond Centennial Yes No Yes
    Riverbend Golf and Country Club Yes Yes Yes
    Royal Papineau No Yes Yes
    Smiths Falls Golf Club No Yes No
    Smuggler's Glen Yes No No
    Stonebridge Golf Club Yes Yes No
    Tecumseh No Yes No
    Thurso No No Yes
    Timber Run Golf and Country Club Yes Yes Yes
    Whitetail Golf Club No Yes No
    Number of available courses 35 Courses 42 Courses 32 Courses

Quote Originally Posted by 314314 View Post
    Great post... It would be interesting to know how many spots they have on each course. I am EG so I can send you that info...
    for RM -most courses have 4 spots available (Champlain has 8)

Don't get me wrong - i'm loving the fact that i know i'll get in 40+ games this summer and the savings using this card is great - i'm just confused with the booking "member" vs public - especially on weekdays.

I just got a reply from the RM rep - and he's gonna look into the issue......

off the Champain today - weather looks like its gonna hold.....yay ya!!

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Enjoy the round but it's in pretty crappy condition afterr the Winter. Can't believe the difference to Cartier right across the street.

Quote Originally Posted by faldo View Post
    Enjoy the round but it's in pretty crappy condition afterr the Winter. Can't believe the difference to Cartier right across the street.
    a few of the greens were in great shape - however yes many were mine fields where your ball would hop around like a game of plinko.....

went from champlain to melcalfe 9 in the aft - and the greens at champlain were 10 times better that the 'calf' - i can't believe they are charging full price for how rough the conditions are at metcalfe......

for RM people - just found out we have access to Metcalfe 9 - just have to book the 18 - then call over to the pro-shop and let them know you'd rather play 9.

i'm looking to play anderson next friday - heard the greens were in great condition - anyone there recently??

a few of the greens were in great shape - however yes many were mine fields where your ball would hop around like a game of plinko.....

went from champlain to melcalfe 9 in the aft - and the greens at champlain were 10 times better that the 'calf' - i can't believe they are charging full price for how rough the conditions are at metcalfe......

for RM people - just found out we have access to Metcalfe 9 - just have to book the 18 - then call over to the pro-shop and let them know you'd rather play 9.

i'm looking to play anderson next friday - heard the greens were in great condition - anyone there recently??
    I think you'll find the 18-hole course in much better condition than the 9-hole course.

The 9-hole course at Metcalfe has always been available for booking directly through RM - there is no need to take up a spot on the 18-hole course to do so. Also remember that when you book the 9-hole course at Metcalfe through RM you're paying for 18 holes - not just 9.

Hmmm, I've noticed that the RM spots at both Metcalfe courses always seemed to be booked solid for the entire week. I wonder if people are booking the 9-hole course and then calling the proshop to switch them over....

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    I agree with justsomeguy.

9 Iron Sparks is on a distinguished road Sparks's Avatar
    I'm with CG for the 5th year in a row now - couldn't be happier with them. Someone made a great point about being willing to drive a bit out of town though, we tend to play a lot of courses in the Renfrew area (Renfrew, Dragonfly, Oaks of Cobden, Whitetail). Anyone who plays those courses will definitely agree that it's a steal to play them for $14 - again, if you're willing to make the trip. I know a couple people who just joined this year and they are miserable because they only want to play courses that are in the Ottawa area, and often only book the day before or same day.

It's all personal preference - if you don't mind planning your weekend golf on Wednesday or Thursday, and are willing to drive an hour, you'll be playing a lot of golf, and saving a ton of money.
    "I used to relax on the weekends... then I started playing golf."

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I think you'll find the 18-hole course in much better condition than the 9-hole course.

The 9-hole course at Metcalfe has always been available for booking directly through RM - there is no need to take up a spot on the 18-hole course to do so. Also remember that when you book the 9-hole course at Metcalfe through RM you're paying for 18 holes - not just 9.

Hmmm, I've noticed that the RM spots at both Metcalfe courses always seemed to be booked solid for the entire week. I wonder if people are booking the 9-hole course and then calling the proshop to switch them over....
    thats not a great deal - pay for the 18 & play the 9 // I thought it was like CG were the greens fee's billed were gonna much less expensive! I won't be doing that - it that case i'll be using the valpak coupon to play it then (available online if you search "ottawa" "coupons") there is one for metacalfe and cassleview.

thats not a great deal - pay for the 18 & play the 9
    First of all, I was suggesting people might be doing it the other way around - booking and paying for the 9 and then playing the 18.

Secondly, they are both the same price on RM - $22 during the week and $25 on weekends. That's less than the Valpak coupons for either course (which are both 2-for-1 BTW), and without any restrictions. The coupons only make sense if you just want to play 9 holes, or you're playing with someone else who would have to pay full price and you want to save him/her a few $$$.

Pitching Wedge joey0162 is on a distinguished road joey0162's Avatar

course booking

For the most part cg and eg are the same when it comes to course availability. You will however pay a little more for a couple of the premium (montebello) courses with eg.
    Heres the kicker though, eg costs $100 less to join and if you join early enough you get 5 $20 credits , making cg almost $200 more . You pay about $5 more per course on eg, so you do the math about how many rounds you need to break even.

With cg you're allowed to book 1 hour earlier by phone than you are on line, which can lead to inconveniences.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    First of all, I was suggesting people might be doing it the other way around - booking and paying for the 9 and then playing the 18.

Secondly, they are both the same price on RM - $22 during the week and $25 on weekends. That's less than the Valpak coupons for either course (which are both 2-for-1 BTW), and without any restrictions. The coupons only make sense if you just want to play 9 holes, or you're playing with someone else who would have to pay full price and you want to save him/her a few $$$.

ahhh - that makes sense...about the 'calfe' --- there's rarely an opening

I guess the saying is true about the grass is greener on the other side .....thanks guys for all the info on the other memberships available....

Gap Wedge shawn is on a distinguished road
    how does payment work? do you get charged the green fee seperate from the course?

You don't pay at the course. You book through the discount club and they bill your charge card.

Thread Information