+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    2 Iron Golfy Kid is on a distinguished road Golfy Kid's Avatar

Should clients know when arriving ...

Here's my story & I'm not going to name the golf course

On hole# 12, the green was under renovation so they moved the hole onto the fairway. Yes, meaning your putting on the fairway grass

Should the manager or the person on the counter advise to the clients that one of their holes were under renovation & they would be putting on fairway grass ?

Did anyone else got disappointed about something simular or maybe did not matter because it was only one hole ?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Temporary greens are a fact of life in the golf course business.

But yes, the course should have a sign or something informing golfers of the situation.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    The course should advise people of the conditions for shure.This year has been the worst i have seen in a long time as far as temps are concerned.Not too many clubs told us this in advance.Like Jvincent stated its a fact of life in Canada..

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    if i wasn't a club owner I wouldn't give anyone notice either..
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    No, they should be told when booking. Being told when arriving is too late and does not allow me to make an informed decision as to whether or not I want to play that course.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I have always felt that the customer should be told if the course is not playing at its normal standards. To do otherwise is, quite simply, deceitful and ultimately not in the course's long term financial interests. To guard against those who are less than honourable, I usually ask if the greens are in good shape, whether they've recently been aerated and sanded, whether there are any temporary greens in use, and whether there is any construction happening on on the course. Answers to those questions then allow me to make an informed decision as to whether I want to plunk down my money for sometimes hefty green fees.

Qu'elle surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post

Playing Winter Rules Swerve is on a distinguished road
    If I understand correctly, I believe that a maximum of 2 temporary greens or tees is acceptable for handicap scores so I think that would be acceptable? Of course, a sign at the counter of this situation would be appreciated.

Where I think the real problem arises, is when a course has recently punched greens (or worse, fairways) and/or put sand down. I think this situation should defintiely be communicated over the phone when booking and well advertised within the proshop for all to see.

Weekend Hacker Steelhead is on a distinguished road Steelhead's Avatar
    I think any condition that is not considered "normal" should be reported to the client at time of booking or before paying the green fees. I have played a course this year where 6 temp greens were used and we did not get informed before noticing it on the 2nd hole. We paid full price but played half a course.

Not to say that I would've turned away but I could have made an informed before paying.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

4 Iron Hardcore is on a distinguished road
    I'll name the course, as I played it yesterday. Falcon Ridge.

Birdie Husband is on a distinguished road
    With a laser range finder (best tool I have in my bag, by far!) it's not nearly as bad anymore. What really got me was not really knowing the yardage to the pin, front, back etc.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    I'm sure all of us realize that a golf course is not a cheap thing to maintain, especially in Canada, but it seems like a good business practice to either inform customers that the course is not playing as it normally would due to maintenance, or provide some form of compensation.

A golf course isn't like day trading, it's like an RRSP. You can't look for a few quick bucks and get out, you have to make sure your investment makes money in the long term, and alienating your clients doesn't seem like the best way to develop a solid & loyal customer base.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

9 Iron Chanter is on a distinguished road
    I am new to Ottawa, as I was just transferred here last summer, so have never endured springtime conditions here. I have to ask - are these conditions normal, or was there an above average amount of winter kill this year? I have played a number of courses so far that have been down right disgusting, and was charged full price for them. As a result of this I will not be returning, which I know will not impact them whatsoever, but keep pissing off people with a similar mindset and it will.

This has been a very bad spring for winter kill. So far the only courses I have played that have had good conditions are Loch March and Outaouais.

Played the Marhes on the weekend and all but two greens had very bad winter kill and it is normally in very good condition. Both Kanata Lakes and Eagle Creek, Clublink courses that are known for having very good conditions, have also been reported as being in rough shape and Stonebridge has been pretty bad too.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Qu'elle surprise.
    Its a business mike, if they tell you there are temp greens you may to elsewhere. You are cutting your own throat. its very difficult to do the right thing while owning your own business in a thin margin business
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

A better option would be to tell them the situation and give them a discount.

Customer relations are all about expectations. If I tell you that you are going to get X and deliver Y and Y < X, you will be annoyed. If I set the expectation in advance though, you will probably be more inclined to either play anyway and at a minimum come back later.

2 Iron Golfy Kid is on a distinguished road Golfy Kid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    A better option would be to tell them the situation and give them a discount. ... at a minimum come back later.
    ( I would go back just for knowing & the discount )

I agree with you, John. Deceptive business practices are simply bad business. They may jack up your take on any given day, but in the long run, the ones you've fooled will not be back. There are a few courses that are off my list for that very reason.

One self-evident principle that I followed in private practice was to treat all my clients with respect and honesty. They deserved it and appreciated it. That appreciation manifested itself in their returning to our offices and referring other business to us. The golf business should be no different in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    A better option would be to tell them the situation and give them a discount.

Customer relations are all about expectations. If I tell you that you are going to get X and deliver Y and Y < X, you will be annoyed. If I set the expectation in advance though, you will probably be more inclined to either play anyway and at a minimum come back later.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Its a business mike, if they tell you there are temp greens you may to elsewhere. You are cutting your own throat. its very difficult to do the right thing while owning your own business in a thin margin business

Yup, and if you want to stay in business you better be up front and honest with your clients. Taking in that full $40 green fee for one day instead of being up front and telling people the greens are less than perfect and giving them a $15 discount will usually bring people back, not telling them and charging full price you lose them forever.

There are 2 courses I said I would never to return to in the Ottawa area and I never have and believe me I won't.... when I am asked to join someone for a round at one of those courses I just say 'no thanks, they screwed me once, they won't screw me again'...
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I just made a mental note not to do business with you in the future if that is your attitude towards your customers.

IMO courses should notify customers when it comes to temporary greens etc. If possible when they call to book a tee time. If not before they pay. When they pay there should be a discount.

The course I work at offered half price green fees the following two days after punching the greens and fairways. On top of that deal they added in a meal. So guests came on those two deals they were told the greens had been done but they also saved 50%.

A course is better off telling people in advance and cutting the green fees in half. If they charge full price and do not advise customers they run the risk of never getting them back in the future.

JMO
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    First of all, I think ONE temp green out of 18 holes is nothing. It is immaterial and irrelevant in terms of my enjoyment of the total round. Of course I'm disappointed, but every round has it ups and downs and the ONE temp green is pretty meaningless really. If it was a significant portion of the golf course (as in 3 or more), then my opinion would be different. But ONE green - get over it!

Secondly, lets not forget that the reason for temp greens is because the golf course is replacing/rebuilding damaged greens. Frankly I would be more concerned if the course made no effort to improve their conditions, and simply let people continue to play on a green that is basically beyond rehabilitation. At least with a temp green I know that at some point in the future conditions will be better. So while temp greens are a bummer, I appreciate the effort being made.

Finally (and perhaps I'm getting cranky in my old age), but I think that MY happiness is MY responsibility. If I'm really concerned about temp greens, aerated greens and course conditions in general - if these are things that are important to my enjoyment of the game - then I think it is MY job to ask about them in advance. I do not expect everyone else to anticipate all my needs and desires and cater to them (not that I don't appreciate it when it happens). So while it is nice to be forewarned about these things, if I don't ask then I have to take some of the blame for being surprised.

OTOH, I can certainly sympathize if you ask and are given a bunch of BS, or if you pay full price for conditions that are significantly worse than normal. But one surprise temp green in spring-time, so what!

Birdie Hunte
    Very well put. I have been reading these comments about discounts and temp. greens and wonder how some people survive in this world. Do you get a discount at the ski hill when the snow is bad? Do you get a discount or get notified when a movie is terrible? Do you get a discount at the grocery store when the apples are a little old.Do you get a discount at the dentist office when you have to wait an hour? Let's be realistic here. The fact a temp. green is in play shows that the course cares about conditions. Did you notice if the rest of the course was in great shape and post that fact here as well.It seems very easy to slam a course and perhaps not consider what effect it may have on that business to be branded as crap because they are striving for good conditions for the remainder of the season.I think this type of thread does more disservice to the golf courses than should be allowed.
    There, that's my 2cents. Let me have it! lOl

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdie Hunte View Post
    Do you get a discount at the ski hill when the snow is bad?
    Maybe you do not get a discount but they advertise what the conditions are so you can choose to not go sking if you don't like the conditions.

Do you get a discount or get notified when a movie is terrible?
    No, but you get a full movie not 5 or 10 minutes left out of it. Also, the critics will tell you if its bad or not so you have a choice to go watch it.

Do you get a discount at the grocery store when the apples are a little old.
    You see the condition before you pay your money and yes, most grocery stores discount their older produce.

Do you get a discount at the dentist office when you have to wait an hour?
    If my dentist is running an hour behind, she will have the receptionist call to warn you.... it surprised me the time they did it but hey, that is called caring about your clients.

Just my 2¢
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Maybe you do not get a discount but they advertise what the conditions are so you can choose to not go sking if you don't like the conditions.

No, but you get a full movie not 5 or 10 minutes left out of it. Also, the critics will tell you if its bad or not so you have a choice to go watch it.

You see the condition before you pay your money and yes, most grocery stores discount their older produce.

If my dentist is running an hour behind, she will have the receptionist call to warn you.... it surprised me the time they did it but hey, that is called caring about your clients.

Just my 2¢
    I agree Indio. I can find out general conditions on here but in terms of temp greens, aeration, etc. I would like to know beforehand and make my decisions. I don't blame them for not telling me, but those that treat me right are sure to get my business again. Those that don't will not. And yes, I don't like temp greens and aeration, while necessary, means a tough day of putting. I would gladly go to a place that is in good shape than one with some work going on. It's about service, plain and simple.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Double negative of which I cannot make sense... I'm assuming you meant that if you were a club owner...
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

9 Iron Chanter is on a distinguished road
    I've played golf at 2:00 in the morning in Thule Greenland. You carry a strip of astro turf around with you to hit from. I had fun because of the novelty of it all.

That said, if I go to a course that is charging peak season rates, I don't think it is unreasonable to expect it to be in a condition representative of the price.

By the way Thule was free...but I would have paid just for the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    I agree Indio. I can find out general conditions on here but in terms of temp greens, aeration, etc. I would like to know beforehand and make my decisions. I don't blame them for not telling me, but those that treat me right are sure to get my business again. Those that don't will not. And yes, I don't like temp greens and aeration, while necessary, means a tough day of putting. I would gladly go to a place that is in good shape than one with some work going on. It's about service, plain and simple.
    Jeff, if I really want to know these things, I do my own research and/or ask the pro shop when I book. If I ask and they tell me the truth, then they are treating me right. So far nobody at a pro shop has ever blatantly lied to me about temp greens, aeration, etc.

To me it is very simple: if I want something then it is up to me to go and get it. Sure there is a basic expectation of service, but if I say or do nothing then it is a little unfair for me to complain about not getting something I wasn't promised and didn't ask for.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Jeff, if I really want to know these things, I do my own research and/or ask the pro shop when I book. If I ask and they tell me the truth, then they are treating me right. So far nobody at a pro shop has ever blatantly lied to me about temp greens, aeration, etc.

To me it is very simple: if I want something then it is up to me to go and get it. Sure there is a basic expectation of service, but if I say or do nothing then it is a little unfair for me to complain about not getting something I wasn't promised and didn't ask for.
    It's called service, going above and beyond the call of duty. It's not necessary, but it is the difference between good and great service. Great service gets me back every time. You may disagree, that is fine. To me when I book, I expect if something is out of the ordinary be it temp greens, construction or aeration, that I am told. I expect to play 18 holes, not 17.5. I expect a good putting surface that I can make putts on. Again, you may disagree.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

It's called service, going above and beyond the call of duty. It's not necessary, but it is the difference between good and great service. Great service gets me back every time. You may disagree, that is fine. To me when I book, I expect if something is out of the ordinary be it temp greens, construction or aeration, that I am told.
    I think you've been around long enough to know that temp greens and aeration are not out of the ordinary on a golf course in springtime.

And I don't disagree with you about service. If a course tells you they have a temp green, thats great service. And if conditions are significantly less than normal, then a discount on the price is warranted.

But my expectation is that the job of looking out for my interests falls to me. Sure its great when someone tells me what I want to know without asking - but my expectation is that I'll have to put forth some effort on my own. So if I really want to know about course conditions, I'll ask.

I expect to play 18 holes, not 17.5. I expect a good putting surface that I can make putts on. Again, you may disagree.
    The game is played outdoors and course conditions are largely determined by the weather. It is frankly unrealistic to just show up at every golf course in the region at any time of year and expect good conditions on every hole every time you play.

But hey, if conditions are THAT important to you then so be it. But then why can't you ask???

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    It's called service, going above and beyond the call of duty. It's not necessary, but it is the difference between good and great service. Great service gets me back every time. You may disagree, that is fine. To me when I book, I expect if something is out of the ordinary be it temp greens, construction or aeration, that I am told. I expect to play 18 holes, not 17.5. I expect a good putting surface that I can make putts on. Again, you may disagree.
    With the way the economy is going the public golf courses better start offering better service. If they don't then green fee players will go elsewhere.

My neighbour just came back from playing two quality courses in Port Huron, Four Lakes and Black River. $25 each with a cart. He said to me "When are the local courses around this part of Ontario going to get it?"

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thread Information