100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter hodgepodge75 is on a distinguished road

Wedges - what difference is 2-degrees?

Hi all. Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a question about wedges, and a specific situation that has been happening more frequently as my game comes together this spring.

Basically, I'm hitting my gap wedge (part of TM R7 iron set) too far; flying over greens from 100-105 yards out pretty consistently. The next wedge in my set is a 56-degree Vokey that I can't hit over 90 yards, so I have a bit of a gap there.

In the same situation, what would you do?

a) run out and buy a 54-degree wedge (only 2-degrees stronger than my current)
    b) run out and buy a 52-degree wedge (only 2 degrees loftier than my gap wedge)
    c) just grip down on my gap wedge when hitting from the 100-105 range.

I'm leaning towards (c). Partially because of money, but also because I'm not convinced that a 2-degree loft change in either direction will make a huge difference. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    A TM R7 Approach Wedge has 50* of loft, the TM R7 PW has 45* of loft and the 9I has 40* of loft

If I were you I'd take your 56* to GT and have them bend it to 55*, that would leave you with 50*, 55* and a 60* if you carry a lob wedge.

This should help close your gap and it will provide a nice 5* difference between all of your scoring irons.

My 2 cents

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I had my 52 deg TM Z-cutter bent to 50 to close the gap. I would hit the 52 about 95 yards and I wanted to be able to hit it further. I hit the 50 about 110. PW for me is 130. So for me, 2 deg = about 15 yds for this set-up.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    A couple of points to consider:

1. All clubs have tolerances for loft so your current lofts may not be to spec.
    2. If you bend clubs, especially wedges, the bounce angle changes and depending on what club you are bending the resulting bounce may/may not be helpful.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Putter hodgepodge75 is on a distinguished road
    Thanks guys. I still have some thinking to do, but jeffc's situation seems to mirror mine pretty closely. We both seem to be hitting a 50-deg in the 110 range. Judging by Jeff was hitting his 52 before the modification, it looks like I can at least take the option of a 54-deg off the table for me. I'm still a bit nervous about having clubs bent.

A couple trips to the range and a couple more rounds with my current setup should shed some more light on the situation as well.

Thanks again - have fun out there this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by hodgepodge75 View Post
    Thanks guys. I still have some thinking to do, but jeffc's situation seems to mirror mine pretty closely. We both seem to be hitting a 50-deg in the 110 range. Judging by Jeff was hitting his 52 before the modification, it looks like I can at least take the option of a 54-deg off the table for me. I'm still a bit nervous about having clubs bent.

A couple trips to the range and a couple more rounds with my current setup should shed some more light on the situation as well.

Don't worry about having your wedges bent. So long as they are forged this is NOT a big deal at all. Even if they are cast, a 1* bend is no cause for concern. As for the effect on the effective bounce of your club, reducing the loft of your sand wedge by 1 degree will reduce the bounce angle by 1 degree - not really a huge change

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Check this first before having anything bent:
    http://golfworks.com/images/art/Iron...0Not%20Rec.pdf

I recently snapped a Cleveland wedge that was not on the list. Bummer
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hodgepodge75 View Post

clubs get adjusted all the time for lie and loft. I'd be willing to bet the specs of your existing clubs are not what they say, most OEM's aren't. Don't sweat it, just find a good club builder that can do it for you.

Andre, thanks for the list...good to see.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Check this first before having anything bent:
    http://golfworks.com/images/art/Iron...0Not%20Rec.pdf

I recently snapped a Cleveland wedge that was not on the list. Bummer
    Hmmm I didn't even realize that other club manufacturers made wedges........I thought that everyone used Titleist Vokeys

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Hmmm I didn't even realize that other club manufacturers made wedges........I thought that everyone used Titleist Vokeys
    Someone here on this forum uses a shredder. Not I

DISTANCE MASTER SHREDDER WEDGE CLUBHEAD

Read the Editorial
    Warning - Too much spin and damage to golf ball cover may occur. The GolfWorks is not responsible for excessive spin and damage to golf ball covers.
    The Distance Master Shredder wedge clubhead is certain to be the main topic of conversation in your weekend foursome. For the golfer that has always wanted to spin a golf ball like the guys on TV every Sunday, the DM Shredder Wedge is the answer. During our initial testing, it didnt take too many shots with the Shredder to come up with a name for this wedge by obvious destruction to the cover of our practice balls. The USGA non-conforming double CNC face milling and increased number of non-conforming square grooves imparts an incredible amount of spin on the golf ball from all distances and will definitely shred a golf balls cover. The Shredder wedge has an optimum loft angle of 58 degrees that testing proved was the correct loft for a truly universal wedge capable of all types of short game shots including the very difficult one hop and stop shot on a cart path.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information