100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Greensmere...

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar

Greensmere...

How is it looking? Gold/White?

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I was there this morning, played Black/Gold. Black was in pretty good shape, fairways and greens were all in great shape. The Gold 9 was a little bit poorer, which I guess is to be expected. A lot more dead spots in the fairways, a bit wetter, especially the first and second holes, and some greens that weren't great (the fifth wasn't looking too healthy). That said, the greens were still rolling nice on the Gold, even through the patchy spots.

7 Wood Cowan is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up

White is going to be a little wetter than gold due to it being built on some clay. White is in good shape besides a little bit of winter kill on the fairways here and there. The 5th green has some burnt areas on it, but besides that all of the greens are in great condition. Gold is in good shape for it being so new. 1,2 and 3 are set lower so they will be slightly wetter than the others and the greens a firm due to it being so new. That being said though they are rolling true and fast and gold is deffiently an excellent lay out (Especially from the gold tees). Gold has some burnt areas once again here and there but besides that its pretty green as well. One of the courses in better condition due to this harsh winter that we had this year.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    played there last Tuesday, May 25th.

It was in good shape, especially the greens. There was some considerable winter kill on some of the fairways, however it helped on some of the drives. On Black # 2 you can easily put it to the bottom of the hill if you make it to the top as the hill is mostly dead. The tall grass on the White course is still dead and flat which makes it easier to find any errant drives.

4 Iron Gangrel is on a distinguished road

Drainage?

I'm playing Gmere tomorrow morning at 7:50. Given that I look outside right now and see a monsoon, I was just wondering if anyone knows how well the course drains?

I'm hoping the rain stops at SOME point today, so we aren't water logged tomorrow.

Ideally I'd plan to play off nothing but fairway, but that plan usually goes out the window after, say, the 1st shot......

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    The upper course (original 18) does not drain well. The lower course (black I think) part of the original 18 drains quite well. The greens were great a week ago, exceptional i might add.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

9 Iron randall leaf is on a distinguished road

greens

The greens on the original 18(white,black)are in very good shape and are rolling true and fast.The gold course does not drain very well and you will run into a lot of water throughout that 9.All in all,not a bad track.If you want a good challenge,black,gold will do it for just about any player.The white course offers that room to spray the ball a lot more than the other 2 nines.The 12th hole on black is one of the nicest par 3s anywhere.

4 Iron Gangrel is on a distinguished road
    We played white-black. The white had water everywhere. Lots of standing water in the fairways, and lots of spray on every shot! Thankfully my shoes held up and my feet stayed dry.

the back Black drained real well and I think only one green had water on it.

All in all, a fun morning. If I ignore the last 4 holes of the day, I played reasonably well for myself.

7 Wood Fade is on a distinguished road Fade's Avatar
    played it twice this year, course is in pretty good shape. nice course. WAAAAAAAAAAAY too many bugs!!! need some bug control there. not sure what the course can do, but it just wasn't fun. even with bug spray, just wasn't able to enjoy the otherwise nice course due to the immense amount of bugs!!!

Pitching Wedge Brewskie19 is on a distinguished road Brewskie19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    played it twice this year, course is in pretty good shape. nice course. WAAAAAAAAAAAY too many bugs!!! need some bug control there. not sure what the course can do, but it just wasn't fun. even with bug spray, just wasn't able to enjoy the otherwise nice course due to the immense amount of bugs!!!
    Odd, I have played Greensmere 4 times this year, and bugs have never been a concern, I don't even think I saw any.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Anyone know how the final 9 is coming along?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Final 9 has all been seeded and the greens are being cut in rotation with the others, the bent fairways every other day and the rough once a week right now. It's coming in really good and if all goes as they plan it may open late, late fall. Going to be a good challenging 18. The plans with the OVGA are to also get it rated in the fall before it opens which is good.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Final 9 has all been seeded and the greens are being cut in rotation with the others, the bent fairways every other day and the rough once a week right now. It's coming in really good and if all goes as they plan it may open late, late fall. Going to be a good challenging 18. The plans with the OVGA are to also get it rated in the fall before it opens which is good.
    As some may know the existing "gold" nine is a hybrid 9 of 4 holes on the nine that starts to the west and 5 holes of the nine that will start to the south, currently #5 gold. The total length from the back tee blocks will be 7000 yards, plenty long to challenge the big boppers, but with other tee blocks for we mortals. The eighteen will be very challenging as Gerry says, and the three par threes that are not yet opened will all be a full carry over water. The entire course will NOT be 4 nines as originally planned, but 2 eighteens, instead. An excellent move in our opinions.

If we could possibly get more sun and less rain, the grass would be filling in much faster, however, we should be playing on it next spring. We are all tired of playing on the existing gold nine because, without a rating, the score does not count, except for putting a few dollars in some players pockets.

7 Wood Fade is on a distinguished road Fade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewskie19 View Post
    Odd, I have played Greensmere 4 times this year, and bugs have never been a concern, I don't even think I saw any.
    perhaps could be the time of day or the 9 you play??

the original front 9 is more open and perhaps has less bugs, but everytime I've gone this year, they have put me on the other 2 9s. the old back 9 had bugs, but not un-bearable. i played the new 9 at twilight time and the bugs were BRUTAL!!! went up my nose, in my ears, etc. i don't think it's normal to kill bugs with my eye lids, is it? then you go home with blood all over you face and it's not even yours it's from all the bugs you killed during your round.

but thinking back, before they had the new 9, bugs were never a big problem at greensmere, so maybe it's just the new 9?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    but thinking back, before they had the new 9, bugs were never a big problem at greensmere, so maybe it's just the new 9?
    It's also the excessive amount of moisture this year which obviously increases the area of breeding grounds. Have been at Greensmere since it opened and there are times when the bugs are a nuisance, but never as bad as I know they have been at, say Eagle Creek.

Having said this, the walk along the path from #7 gold to #8 tee, there are more mosquito's than elsewhere because of its close proximity to the swamp. Bug spray keeps them off.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Lots of standing water this week. The bugs (black flies - babits - noseums - or whatever you want to call them) were out in force at Manderley today, where we only usually see a few mosquitos in the "forest holes". Generally it's pretty bug free and that IMHO is one of the nice things about playing there.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Joined Greensmere yesterday with my better half and our golfing friends. I wasn't too happy about the conditions of some of the greens, but, when it was explained that the new nine (opening in spring 2010) took up all of their resources and next year it will be back up to snuff - couldn't say no. (IMHO - The course was in great shape last year.)

Best part - I live less than 4 minutes away.
    Too bad my wood is being delivered tomorrow and Thursday.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Welcome Steve, I've been there since day 1 and very much enjoy being a member there. When the new 18 opens up next spring I'm sure it is going to be one of the more challenging courses in the area with some very nice hole cut through the woods. If you get a chance come out and play one of the last few Men's nights. Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.

Thread Information