CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar

NEED equipment help!!

Let me explain, I have just moved over to Hunt Club and noticed two things: tight mowed fairways and deep, thick rough around greens.

Question #1: If I am looking for a Lobwedge for most shots around the green, should it be high bounce or low? I used a 60* with 6* bounce and it seemed nice.

#2: If I am looking for a hybrid off these tight fairways/thick rough, should I be buying a low profile, small compact head, or something different.

THANKS, know I can count on some quality help!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    When are we playing?

#1. I actually prefer a 12* bounce 56* in thick rough around the greens. The extra bounce let's you just drop the club behind the ball and pop it out softly.

#2. I'd go for a smaller headed iron like hybrid instead of a more FWY wood like one.

If you've seen the Wishon hybrids I'd recommend one like those. I have two different types (785 and 585) and both work well. I can let you try them when we play.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    Dave you lucky son-of-a-...gun! Congrats on gettin in there. They have nice junior clinics on Saturday afternoons it seems j/k

I'd have to mimic everything said by JV. I don't have a hybrid myself, but I'd be prone to getting the smaller head hybrids (they suit my eye better too).

Fally
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I agree with JV on #1, but not on #2.

IMHO low-profile heads (whether in a hybrid or FW) are great off fairways but not so great in thick rough. If the ball is sitting up in thick rough, it is very easy for a low-profile head to go under it and the end result is a pop-up. OTOH if the ball is buried deep in thick rough, there is no hybrid or FW in the world that will muscle it out - you'll have to hack away with a higher-lofted iron (or even a wedge).

So my advice if you want to use a hybrid or FW in thick rough - get something with a compact head but a tall face and at least 21* loft - and only use it when the lie is not too bad. And I would recommend a steel shaft instead of graphite - the extra weight and lower torque seems to help when going through the thick stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    I agree with JV on #1, but not on #2.
    Hey, no disagreeing with me allowed, you're not my wife.

I should actually clarify. I was specifically referring to the compact heat part, not the low profile.

My hybrids are full iron height, which is typically higher profile than the FWY type hybrids. Because they are smaller front to back they tend to have the weight more concentrated in the bottom of the clubhead which helps get through the rough and get the ball up.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    Let me explain, I have just moved over to Hunt Club and noticed two things: tight mowed fairways and deep, thick rough around greens.

Question #1: If I am looking for a Lobwedge for most shots around the green, should it be high bounce or low? I used a 60* with 6* bounce and it seemed nice.

#2: If I am looking for a hybrid off these tight fairways/thick rough, should I be buying a low profile, small compact head, or something different.

THANKS, know I can count on some quality help!
    The 60 with low bounce will come in handy off the fairways. The less bounce the better here. The 56 is great around the greens in thick rough. 12 deg of bounce is about right give or take. The 60 often slides right under the ball if it is sitting up a bit. The lie dictates everything.

Re Hybrids, I don't hit them out of thick rough much. If it is really thick I take the lowest iron I think I can get solidly on the ball. The tight fairways can be tough to get used to, especially for a sweeper like me who doesn't take much if any divot. If you do take divots, you will love the tight fairways.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    My hybrids are full iron height, which is typically higher profile than the FWY type hybrids. Because they are smaller front to back they tend to have the weight more concentrated in the bottom of the clubhead which helps get through the rough and get the ball up.
    OK, that makes sense. I might have to try one of those Wishon hybrids - I'll have to see if they have one in a 5-iron loft.

They definitely have them in 5i.

The one's I'm playing right now (585) come in 2->5 and the other model I have (785HF) is available in 2-PW.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    OK, that makes sense. I might have to try one of those Wishon hybrids - I'll have to see if they have one in a 5-iron loft.
    They do, and I have one for sale (785HF - 5).

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Hey, no disagreeing with me allowed, you're not my wife.

I should actually clarify. I was specifically referring to the compact heat part, not the low profile.

This has my early vote for Quote of the Year!!!!

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    ya i actually found the low bounce to be nice, even from the rough as the ball tends to settle down around the greens. As far as the hybrids, I have a J33 airmuscle and am looking at something with a compact head, ala J33 hybrid or the new Burner's.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    The 60 with low bounce will come in handy off the fairways. The less bounce the better here. The 56 is great around the greens in thick rough. 12 deg of bounce is about right give or take. The 60 often slides right under the ball if it is sitting up a bit. The lie dictates everything.

Re Hybrids, I don't hit them out of thick rough much. If it is really thick I take the lowest iron I think I can get solidly on the ball. The tight fairways can be tough to get used to, especially for a sweeper like me who doesn't take much if any divot. If you do take divots, you will love the tight fairways.

They definitely have them in 5i.

The one's I'm playing right now (585) come in 2->5 and the other model I have (785HF) is available in 2-PW.
    Great - now look what you've done! Just what I need - more golf clubs.

Just remember, no matter how many you have, you'll always have less than The Saint.

Thread Information