CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: putter grip

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar

putter grip

I'd like to thicken the grip on my putter - can i legally add tape to the grip? And what kind of tape should i buy?

thanks

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar

Putter grips

Quote Originally Posted by upanddown
    I'd like to thicken the grip on my putter - can i legally add tape to the grip? And what kind of tape should i buy?

thanks
    I recalled that Scott Verplank used to build up his grip with gauze tape. Here is an extract of an article ( http://www.swingweight.com/putter_fitting2.htm ) that talks about the practice:

"What about grips? Putter grip size must be considered as a key fitting parameter as well. The grip is the only contact a player has with the putter; a properly sized grip will not only feel good, but will most likely promote a smooth stroke as well. Generally a player with large hands will prefer a larger putter grip. Larger grips tend to eliminate wrist action as well. If a player’s hands seem to be too active, or if the wrists seem to break down during the stroke, a larger grip might be a good choice. To see if a large grip is indeed the proper choice, wrap the putter grip with several layers of gauze tape. (Gauze tape is available in drug stores.) The tape may be applied or removed as needed and will allow a player to try grips of various sizes without the cost of actually purchasing the grip. If a larger size feels good, the tape can be left in place or a grip equivalent to the “gauze tape size” may be installed. Several players on the PGA Tour, US Open Champion Steve Jones and Scott Verplank, regularly putt with putters to which gauze tape has been added to the grip. A note here: putter grip style and material composition is strictly a matter of personal taste."

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road

thanks
    When I once asked about putter grips someone once told me "I can't tell you what putter grip you should get, do I choose your girlfriend for you?" I found that quite amusing.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

thanks
    dbleber:

I am not sure about the rules for size but a great way to build up your grip is to use tennis gripping tape. It looks like a gauze and comes in different colours. Hockey players use this as well. Also if you are replacing your current grip, you can add layers of gripping tape underneath. 1 wrap is 1/64, 2 wraps 1/32, 3 wraps 1/16 oversized. The only rule I have heard for putter grips is no markings on the tape for hand placement, but I could be wrong and maybe there is a rule on the grip size. If there is it is not in the CPGA rule book because I just read it!

Denny

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    The putter grip can be as thick as you like. It doesn't matter how much tape you use to suit your needs. However, there can be no waist or buldge in the grip. It has to be taped evenly.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by The Shtick
    The putter grip can be as thick as you like. It doesn't matter how much tape you use to suit your needs. However, there can be no waist or buldge in the grip. It has to be taped evenly.
    Sorry, but this is not true.

"It's cross-sectional dimensions measured in any direction must not exceed 1.75."
    Appendix II, 3 (iv) Page129 of new Rule Book.

For those with round ended grips the diameter must not exceed the above, and those with square ended grips the hypotenuse or the diagonal of the end must not exceed 1.75".

dbleder - FYI: The rules of golf in Canade are governed by the RCGA and not the CPGA.

Shagging Balls upanddown is on a distinguished road upanddown's Avatar
    thx everyone

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST

"It's cross-sectional dimensions measured in any direction must not exceed 1.75."

For those with round ended grips the diameter must not exceed the above, and those with square ended grips the hypotenuse or the diagonal of the end must not exceed 1.75".

dbleder - FYI: The rules of golf in Canade are governed by the RCGA and not the CPGA.
    dbleber:
    True, the hand book I have is very old and is the CPGA rule book as governed by RCGA and it does not have the rule about putter grip size.
    Denny

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar

oops!!

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST

OOPS!! My bad. My online version of The Rules Of Golf is an old one. You are absolutely right.

Thread Information