+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frequency

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar

Frequency

Hey all, i'm thinking of reshafting my irons with the Royal Precision Tour Flighted iron shafts. Now on the Golfworks site they talk about the iron shafts coming in different frequency's. I love and am an avid golfer but can't say I have any idea what kind of frequency I should be playing in my shaft. I'm going to have the clubs at plus one inch as well so if i'm playing a rifle 5.5 now should I go to a 6 if i'm having them tipped an inch long. Let me know what to think guys.
    Thanks
    John

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Hey all, i'm thinking of reshafting my irons with the Royal Precision Tour Flighted iron shafts. Now on the Golfworks site they talk about the iron shafts coming in different frequency's. I love and am an avid golfer but can't say I have any idea what kind of frequency I should be playing in my shaft. I'm going to have the clubs at plus one inch as well so if i'm playing a rifle 5.5 now should I go to a 6 if i'm having them tipped an inch long. Let me know what to think guys.
    Thanks
    John
    I just took a 5.5 Rifle shaft, a 255 g tip weight, which would simulate a 5 iron and measured the frequency at 38." (324 cpm) I them made this "club" 1" longer and the frequency was (314 cpm).

Now the standard difference between a 5.5 and a 6.5 rifle is 10 cpm, therefore it seems that you should go to a 6.5 and not a 6.0. The confusing part of your statement above is that you are having the shafts "tipped" an inch long. Do you mean that literally 1" is coming off the tip, which would make them stiffer, and then having them butt trimmed 1" longer? An inch off the tip does not equal an extra inch left on the butt.

Perhaps you just mean that they are being trimmed to length, 1" longer, which means that less is being taken off the butt than normal.

Amazing how something simple can become increasingly complicated.

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    I just took a 5.5 Rifle shaft, a 255 g tip weight, which would simulate a 5 iron and measured the frequency at 38." (324 cpm) I them made this "club" 1" longer and the frequency was (314 cpm).

Now the standard difference between a 5.5 and a 6.5 rifle is 10 cpm, therefore it seems that you should go to a 6.5 and not a 6.0. The confusing part of your statement above is that you are having the shafts "tipped" an inch long. Do you mean that literally 1" is coming off the tip, which would make them stiffer, and then having them butt trimmed 1" longer? An inch off the tip does not equal an extra inch left on the butt.

Perhaps you just mean that they are being trimmed to length, 1" longer, which means that less is being taken off the butt than normal.

Sorry I just meant to say that they are being left at an inch longer in the butt end. I shouldn't have mentioned anything about them being tipped...

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    My God.....confusing is an understatement.....are there any sites out there that cover basic frequency matching on different shaft types. I have considered going to a rifle shaft on my Hogans and do not want to make a move until I completely understand what I am about to do to myself......

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST

Thread Information