CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    arcaign

Your Best Putting Techniques

As putting is in my opinion the most crucial part of the game (and the most frustrating... Isn't that right 3 putt for a boggie!) I was curious as to what sort of tips or tricks or practice techniques you all can share.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaign View Post
    As putting is in my opinion the most crucial part of the game (and the most frustrating... Isn't that right 3 putt for a boggie!) I was curious as to what sort of tips or tricks or practice techniques you all can share.
    No tricks allowed on this forum

but as for tips .......... practice a five foot putt and keep your head down until you HEAR it go in
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    100% of short putts don't go in.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    One thing i read in golf digest, makes sense, and i put it to use the last couple times.... Think of the best putts you have made as your going up. It will put you in the right frame of mind

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaign View Post
    1. Without delaying play, look at short putts from both sides of the hole.
    2. Short putts should be hit firmly, eliminating much of any break.
    3. STAY STILL!!!

If you have access to impact labels, hit several putts to see how close you make contact at the centre of the putter face. If you are not with 1/4"or less on either side, adjust your stroke until you are. Impact point errors cause many more misses that club face angle or club head path errors. Using a high MOI, face balanced putter is also beneficial.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    I don't practice short putts into a hole, I'll take another ball and starting from about 2 feet I'll just putt into that ball, hitting it everytime. I'll start backing up to 3,4,5,6 feet and much farther always hitting the ball. The reason that I do this is because of the mental side of putting, if you miss a few short putts to a hole you will start to second guessing yourself and get negative thoughts where as if you miss a ball your mind is more willing to accept that miss cause the ball is smaller than the hole to your minds eye. In reality a hole is not much larger than the area that can be used to hit a ball on the left and right side, it's just a matter of perception. If you back up to 30 feet and you hit that ball a couple of times your confidence will sky rocket and you'll have new confidence in your abilities to aim correctly and judge the weight of the putt accurately.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    As I play a different course almost every game the thing I find the hardest to judge is speed. Putting at least a couple of 5-10' strokes on a practice green before starting is helpful.

I find visualizing each putt and aiming for a point perhaps 6-12" in front of the putt is a must.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    3. STAY STILL!!!

If you have access to impact labels, hit several putts to see how close you make contact at the centre of the putter face. If you are not with 1/4"or less on either side, adjust your stroke until you are. Impact point errors cause many more misses that club face angle or club head path errors. Using a high MOI, face balanced putter is also beneficial.
    If you don’t have impact tape use 2 tee’s to setup a gate. Set the 2 tee’s so that your putter heads clears the gate with ¼ inch gape. Set this up to a 5 foot putt and make as many in a row that you can then try to beat your record.

Start with a straight putt and when it gets easy try it on breaking putts. The hard part here is to swing towards the target and not to the hole. Matching the speed to the line is also a challenge.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

3 Wood mike k is on a distinguished road

Distance training for putting

Take 6 balls and 3 tees or large coins to the putting green.
    From your putting position,
    Coin #1: 10 feet
    Coin #2: 20 feet
    Coin #3: 30 feet
    Putt Ball 1 to Coin 1, Ball 2 to coin 2, etc. (never 2 in a row to same target)
    Putt all balls back to starting position. Repeat 6 times
    Concentrate on distance only.

(Not that I actually DO this often, but when I do, my putt count for my game is lower).

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I use different backswing lengths to get my distance down. I have a larger mallet style putter head. When I get to the course I go on the putting practice green and putt to the edge of the green and measure out with my steps how far the putts travelled for each of the four backswings.

The first BS is where I see the back of my putter come to the inside of my back foot, the second is where the face comes to the front of my back foot, the back of the putter to the back of the foot, then the face even with the back foot. With these BS it gives me a good idea of the speed of the greens and gives me condidence that the ball will get to the hole. Once I decide which BS to use I simply set up to my line and concentrate solely on the stroke knowing that my distance will be pretty good.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    100% of short putts don't go in.
    How true this is. 100% of the putts I take within 4 feet don't go in.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    3. STAY STILL!!!
    What qualifies as a short putt? Personally, i hate standing over short putts trying to compensate for break, and prefer the idea of just hitting it more firmly (especially as my putts are more often end up going long rather than not making it to the hole). But, at what distance does it become unwise to just hit it through the break? I guess it depends on how much break there is.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    I putt better when I keep my head still and will usually count to 2 or 3 before I look up to see where the ball is. If the putt is 5ft or less, I'll just listen for it to go in the bottom.

When I don't keep my head down, I pull a lot of putts.
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    What qualifies as a short putt?
    For me, up to 5'. My mindset says that I can make all 2' putts, so my weight is based on hitting it that far past, if I were to miss.

Having said that, if I have a downhill/sidehilll putt, I will gamble somewhat and tend to hit the ball quite firmly, and if missed, I'm likely to be 10'+ past.

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    I teach my short practice putting on the flattest part of the green as possible. I don't use the "cup", I suggest using a dime (I guarantee if you can hit the dime, it will fall in a cup!). Place a dime on the green and, using 6 balls arranged in a circle, start 2 feet away and roll all 6 across the dime. If you miss one, start over. After making all 6, move to 3 feet and do it again, eventually moving back to 6 or 7 feet (depending on your concentration level). You could finish this drill in 20 minutes, or it may take an hour, so patience is needed.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Keep your head still / don't look up until well after the ball has been struck.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    When you miss, don't take your eyes off the ball until it stops rolling, no matter how upset you are at the miss. You need to know the read for the next putt to save your par/bogey.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    keep'em coming!!!!! I need all the help I can or i'm going to have to change my name to 3putt

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XTOUR View Post
    keep'em coming!!!!! I need all the help I can or i'm going to have to change my name to 3putt

Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    For putts inside 5 or 6 feet, try putting with your eyes closed. I'm serious. If your mechanics are solid, then you should trust your stroke to do the job. More putts are missed because the golfer tries to manipulate the putterhead during the stroke. It's relatively impossible to do that with your eyes closed.

Lest you think this is a crazy theory, let me assure you that I used to putt that way. In fact, I did so in the NB and NS Amateurs to great success. The rest of my game was abysmal, but that's another matter. Last week I started to stroke the short putts that way again and there were no more pulls and pushes.

Give it a try. You might be pleasantly surprised.

One other thing I would suggest. Don’t put so much pressure on making the putt. So many good puts don’t go in and lots of bad putts go in. It’s part of the game. Concentrate on making a good stroke to two feet past your target without pressure. Disappointment and frustration is a big part of unsuccessful putting.

Putting seems so easy but it’s hard. There are so many factors like line, speed, imperfections, wind…all these things can make you miss a perfectly stroked putt. Choosing a line and making a perfect stroke is the only thing that is under your control. My signature bellow says it all.

4 Iron jens is on a distinguished road jens's Avatar

secret to putting

If you have carpet at home, hit putts for 10-15 mins at home to a small target (dime). All putts can be broken down into straight lines, you need to get the first one right!

Shagging Balls Gapwedge is on a distinguished road Gapwedge's Avatar
    Practice putting with this. The face is a mere 1/4" wide. Immediate feedback if you miss the putt.
    ________
    Mazda B-Series (North America)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Gapwedge; 02-22-2011 at 03:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapwedge View Post
    Practice putting with this. The face is a mere 1/4" wide. Immediate feedback if you miss the putt.
    I have tried that. Momentus sold one of those in the past. I tried it and it’s awesome. Great putting aid.

7 Iron HTN2 is on a distinguished road HTN2's Avatar
    Hold your putter with the absolute lightest grip you can possibly imagine.

Take the putter from the ball as slowly and as low to the green as possible, and start it back to the ball the same way.

LOOK AT THE HOLE. Hold your gaze steadily on the hole for at least a full second, before you start your putt, hold your gaze on a specific part of the ball, for a full second at least. Continue to look at the ball as you putt.

The last two points may seem fairly simplistic, but take note of where your gaze is when you're practicing, you'll likely notice that actually looking ONLY at the hole and the ball is quite difficult. You need to fix your gaze for a period of time to give your brain time to process the info...

I have been a TERRIBLE putter in the past, but these simple things greatly improve my putting without fail.

Do these things while also taking 4 balls, dropping them about 4 feet apart starting from about 4 feet out from the hole and continuing on a line out, try to actually make each putt...

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Came across this putting tip in the latest Golf Digest...been using it the few rounds and I think it has helped.

http://www.golfdigest.com/instructio...dbetterputting

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Best putting tip that worked for me was changing my grip to the Tiger Shark. It allows me to have a lighter grip pressure and keep my palms facing each other. I also try to never look at the hole once I'm over the ball. I line up my line on the ball, take a few feel practice strokes while looking at the hole, address the ball and go. Putting has improved big time with this method.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Three best tips I can give for putting:

1) Always play for a little more break than you see. If you never start it high enough, the ball will never go in.

2) Use the alignment aid/name on the ball to mark you line. Then use the sightline on your putter to line up with the aid/name.

3) Use a shorter backswing and accelerate through the ball. Too often I see players with big, long backswings and as they approach the ball they slow down because they think they are going to hit the ball too hard. Best drill for this is to try the push drill. Try to sink a 3-4 footer without using a back swing. This will help you to accelerate through the ball.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Stop thinking!
    Just do it!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    I swear by this tip for short putts (<6 ft) and it really works for me . I think what it does is to help calming the nerves and removing the many thoughts associated with puttings..aka..just dunk them in.

It builds the confidence and I sank more of these short ones than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Came across this putting tip in the latest Golf Digest...been using it the few rounds and I think it has helped.

http://www.golfdigest.com/instructio...dbetterputting

Thread Information