100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

Sister is going to CUBA, where should she go to get me cigars?

how do you get them for cheap from the factory? I hear they sell boxes for $150, i want the $25, $35 ect boxes on the street. where should she go to get those thanks
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Be careful of the cigars that you buy on the street. You may end up with second-rate stogies. The last time I was there I brought back cigars for friends. They were purchased at a reputable store, and were perfect - so I'm told.

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    how do you get them for cheap from the factory? I hear they sell boxes for $150, i want the $25, $35 ect boxes on the street. where should she go to get those thanks

3 Wood wboudrea is on a distinguished road wboudrea's Avatar
    When my aunt went down I got some good info off this website. Even if you pay full price there you will still get them for 1/3 the price of here. I have heard many buyer beware stories w.r.t. cigars on the beech/street etc.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"-#99

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    tell her to talk up employees at the cigar factory. Friends bought cigars from an employee who pulls the old "1 for you, 1 for me" while he makes the cigars, im pretty sure they got a box for $50, only difference was they didnt have any of the rings or wrapping.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

they are for me and a few friends so i don't care if they have the ring. Also, someone told me if you take childrens clothing with you and "give" then to the workers they they will hook you up large!!
    willy

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    true, or any sort of drug store items that we take for granted they have a hard time getting in cuba such as advil.
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Baseballs and/or gloves make great bargaining chips.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    school supplies are great for the kids, pencils, pencil crayons, erasers, etc.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hybrid Gary Madore is on a distinguished road
    If you're interested in avoiding fakes, there is lots of Google-able (is that even a word?) info available.

Trust me: Fake high-end cigars are big business down that way. One rule of thumb is that if you can buy a whole box of Cohibas Esplenditos for $40, they ain't Cohibas

Anyways, there are a few easy things to look out for - using the Cohibas example, if they come in a box with a glass (plastic) top, they're fake.

Something I usually did was to buy brands that aren't well-known and this less likely to be fakes. Everybody knows Monte Cristo and Cohibas but there are lots of other premium brands that crooks don't bother to knock off.

Of course, even crappy fake stuff from down there beats the crappe out of White Owl, et. al., right?

And here is my biggest piece of advice: Get a bunch of your favourites for yourself and get a couple of boxes of the $40 Esplenditos... Hide the premiums in a safe in the wall behind a picture, and keep the knock-offs in a humidor in plain sight: This will keep the moochers out of your good stogies, while still impressing them

Cheers!

Gary (ironically, my favourite stogies are Dominican...)
    Last edited by Gary Madore; 05-28-2009 at 11:19 PM.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    they are for me and a few friends so i don't care if they have the ring. Also, someone told me if you take childrens clothing with you and "give" then to the workers they they will hook you up large!!
    Mine had better have rings on them and the better not be fakes either!!!

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfer_Gofer View Post
    true, or any sort of drug store items that we take for granted they have a hard time getting in cuba such as advil.
    This is the exact thing that will get you far in Cuba...become a drug peddler!

If you want to buy Cuban cigars, go to Mexico!
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Baxter
    If they don't have the Holofoil on the Box they will be taken away at the Airport from Customs. My buddy was down there and saw it 1st hand. He also said the Airport was cheaper than the Hotel.

I can use some Cohiba Clubs....My bestest Friend....

Cheers
    Last edited by Baxter; 06-08-2009 at 12:19 PM.

9 Iron Hoss29 is on a distinguished road Hoss29's Avatar
    yes the airport is the cheapest place to purchase "Authentic" Cigars !!!

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    You might want to check with the resort too. The place we stayed at had cigar maker on site. I remembered you could ask him to make the type you want..Based on the types, he'll rolled using different combination of tobacco leaves. It was more of novolties for guests and you could see the process. Just like custom clubs, they were made similar to certain brands though. At least you know they were made from real tabacco leaves..

Hybrid Gary Madore is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldred View Post
    Just like custom clubs, they were made similar to certain brands though. At least you know they were made from real tabacco leaves..
    That's what my Dad does when he heads down there for some sunshine - he likes to watch 'em being rolled and invariably comes home with bundles of "no-name" stogies tied up with twine

Cheers!

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Madore; 06-03-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldred View Post
    You might want to check with the resort too. The place we stayed at had cigar maker on site. I remembered you could ask him to make the type you want..Based on the types, he'll rolled using different combination of tobacco leaves. It was more of novolties for guests and you could see the process. Just like custom clubs, they were made similar to certain brands though. At least you know they were made from real tabacco leaves..
    custom clubs (I think you mean component) aren't make similar to certain brands, most of the time they come up with something first and then the big names steal it

as you can see I'm all about the components
    willy

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    [QUOTE= as you can see I'm all about the components [/QUOTE]

Here you go bro.. bring back some "components" and ask the Saint or Chief to roll them for you.
    Attached Images

reminds me of the sienfeld episode with the cubans
    willy

Hybrid Bravesox is on a distinguished road Bravesox's Avatar
    goto the shop in Varadero near 62 street Street Bar. only authentic place that i found sells them cheaper then the hotels and even the airport if your buying a sealed box. IF your buying singles in the metal holder...airport is the best bet. DONT buy them off the "guy on the beach". Pretty sure IF you goto where they are made in Havana you can buy them a bit cheaper but they wont be packaged...good if you plan to have them while your down there.

Thread Information