CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adjusting loft

Birdie flagolfnut is on a distinguished road

Adjusting loft

Is it possible to adjust the loft on fairway woods? I would like to change the lofts on my fairway woods but I'm not sure if it can be done or if it's a bad idea to do so. Anyone know?
    Thanks

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    You'd have to talk to a very experienced clubmaker(very few imo) who has experience in grinding metal woods or bending the hosel. Back in the old days I believe this task was a bit easier since woods were made out of wood. Why would you want to do that may I ask? There are other clubmaking ways to go about this such as lead tape,softer shaft etc..Steel shafts can slightly be bent with a shaft bending block but you can only grind and bend so much.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    You'd have to talk to a very experienced clubmaker(very few imo) who has experience in grinding metal woods or bending the hosel. Back in the old days I believe this task was a bit easier since woods were made out of wood. Why would you want to do that may I ask? There are other clubmaking ways to go about this such as lead tape,softer shaft etc..Steel shafts can slightly be bent with a shaft bending block but you can only grind and bend so much.
    The reason I want to do this is to have like a 14 degree 3 wood (instead of 15.5) an 18 degree 5 wood which I already have and a 21.5 degree 7 wood (instead of 20). This way the lofts are more equally balanced.

Driver Happy Gilmore is on a distinguished road Happy Gilmore's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flagolfnut
    The reason I want to do this is to have like a 14 degree 3 wood (instead of 15.5) an 18 degree 5 wood which I already have and a 21.5 degree 7 wood (instead of 20). This way the lofts are more equally balanced.
    This may be just a silly question and I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I am curious. Why are you this concerned with the loft spread between your fairway woods? How many times are you over 220yds away from the green and are that concerned with distance control over directional control?

I just would have thought that the more important clubs to have a standard loft spread would be your mid to low irons where knowing the spread will allow you to make a proper club selection for attacking the green or choosing shot placement.

"Play every shot so that the next one will be the easiest that you can give yourself. - Billy Casper."
    Happy

"Play every shot so that the next one will be the easiest that you can give yourself." - Billy Casper

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore
    This may be just a silly question and I'm not trying to offend anyone, but I am curious. Why are you this concerned with the loft spread between your fairway woods? How many times are you over 220yds away from the green and are that concerned with distance control over directional control?

I just would have thought that the more important clubs to have a standard loft spread would be your mid to low irons where knowing the spread will allow you to make a proper club selection for attacking the green or choosing shot placement.

"Play every shot so that the next one will be the easiest that you can give yourself. - Billy Casper."
    You know what you're absolutely right. It's not a silly question and it makes perfect sense, but I guess what I'm trying to do is equal out the loft angles of each club so I know what distance they are good for. Anyway by the sounds of it, I probably won't be messing with the loft angles of my woods and just keep them as they are.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flagolfnut
    Is it possible to adjust the loft on fairway woods? I would like to change the lofts on my fairway woods but I'm not sure if it can be done or if it's a bad idea to do so. Anyone know?
    Thanks
    dbleber:
    Just a suggestion. Would it not be easier to practice 3/4 swings and griping up or down on the club to help with any in between ranges and to help give a good spread between your clubs?
    Just a thought.
    Denny

Thread Information