100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road

Relief from Path of ball?

I have two scenarios that are similar, but not the same.

1) At my course, they are almost finished building this large (20' x 20') pump house for delivering water to the irrigation system. This pump house is not far from #3's left fairway, which also borders the large pond of water. If you hit your tee shot close to the pump house, what are your options? If it interferes with your swing or stance, I presume you get relief? If it doesn't interfere with your swing or stance, I'm sure you have to play it as it lies, despite the fact you may not get to play the shot you want?

Where this could really penalize a player is if they are on the left (bad) side of the pump house, you're options become extremely limited as to where to play the ball. Before if you were in this spot, you'd be chipping it back into position most the time, but now if you're behind the pump house, you're basically chipping back towards the tee deck, only to be forced with another layup. Very penal.

2) On a similar note, this actually happened on this past weekend, and I'm not sure it was ruled correctly. Golfer A hit's his ball close to a ditch. The perimeter of the ditch was marked with large 6" x 6" posts, basically indicating to not drive a cart through this area. It was NOT marked a hazard. The player's line of shot would have possibly delivered his ball directly into one of these posts. Can he move the post simply for a clear ball flight? The post did not interfere at all with his swing.

Can any moveable stakes (i.e. yardage markers, cart signs, etc) be moved if it may interfere with the flight of the ball, but not the stance or swing of the golfer?

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    1) Correct, you get relief from an immovable obstruction when it interferes with your stance or swing, not for line of site.

2) If you can move the post out of the way you may do so. It would be a movable obstruction. If you can't move it... see #1.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    In general "line of sight" relief only happens on the tour where camera towers and stands that are not part of the course are erected. I believe it is a local rule adopted by the tour.

I once got to stand next to Anika Sorenstam as she argued for "line of flight" relief because she needed to hit a cut and there was a scoreboard in the way. The official correctly ruled no relief because the line of sight was clear, even though trees prevented playing directly towards the pin.

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    Check out http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/bo...ppendix_I.html under Temporary Immovable Obstructions.

As I thought, it is a recommended local rule. If the Committee defines such obstructions as temporary immovable obstructions, the following Local Rule is recommended:

I know of no other time you can get line of sight relief, through the green.
    Last edited by oldmaninblack; 05-25-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Formatting

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by oldmaninblack View Post
    Check out http://www.usga.org/playing/rules/bo...ppendix_I.html under Temporary Immovable Obstructions.

As I thought, it is a recommended local rule. If the Committee defines such obstructions as temporary immovable obstructions, the following Local Rule is recommended:

I know of no other time you can get line of sight relief, through the green.
    If you have not already, the USGA sells and excellent book entitled "How to Conduct a Competition" which has a chapter on TIO's 'Clarification of Temporary Obstruction Rule.' It has 13 scenarios each with golf balls in various positions and outlines what to do. It also has a bit on Time Par, as well, which Gerry and I are now using in all OVGA, mens' events. $6.00.

https://usgapubs.usga.org/store2/pro...duct_id=PG1705

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    Be careful in the 2nd senerio tho , sometimes movable obstruction can be declared immovable by local rule ...probably not likely in this senerio , but you just never know

3 Wood hackzaw is on a distinguished road
    Man - this came up again in my round last night. Playing Chedoke Bedoe course in Hamilton, it used to be a ski hill, but they never removed some of the ski lifts. The worst case is #18, where the lift is right in the middle of the fairway. What I don't know, and I didn't have a card to tell, was if it was a local rule that you get relief from line of sight.

When I mentioned to my buddies that you don't get line of sight relief from an immovable obstruction, they all say, "But on the PGA....". I don't carry a rule book, and maybe I should, because I'm sure they all thought I was incorrect (and I may have been if it was a local rule).

Apparently, there is a local rule at Chedoke, that if you hit your ball, and it hits the ski lift cables, you get to hit again without penalty.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by hackzaw View Post
    Apparently, there is a local rule at Chedoke, that if you hit your ball, and it hits the ski lift cables, you get to hit again without penalty.
    This is similar then to the power line decision where a ball that hits it, MUST be replayed. (Dec 33-8/13)

Thread Information