100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    7 Iron ForeontheFloor is on a distinguished road

What would you change

If you could change one thing about how golf course are run what would it be???

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    If the course lends itself well to walking, no electric / gas carts. Exceptions only would be made for those of an advanced age and or physical impediment.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

9 Iron r2g2 is on a distinguished road

Cool Crowd control on the 1st tee

Some of the higher-end and resort courses that I've played on only allow 1 group at the 1st tee box at a time. The next group is not even called up until the tee-ing group has left.

I know it's not possible to do this on most courses, but it is definitely something that I enjoy as it keeps things quieter and less stressful for that 1st shot of the round.
    [COLOR=Blue]Rob [/COLOR]

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Free golf for juniors up till 10 years old and a better junior program. Golf is too expensive for kids and the lack of junior programs is just killing our potentially good junior amateur circuits.

Junior summer camps.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Drinking water on the course.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Add a warm up hole.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Free small range balls with green fee or longer gap between tee times

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    A real short game practice area, chipping green, pitching green, putting green, bunkers all of which closely approximate the conditions that you'll find on the actual course

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Caddy programs.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

7 Iron HTN2 is on a distinguished road HTN2's Avatar
    REAL marshals who actually DO SOMETHING to the group who has lost 3 holes in the first nine and now has the entire course backed up for the entire rest of the day...

7 Iron ForeontheFloor is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    If the course lends itself well to walking, no electric / gas carts. Exceptions only would be made for those of an advanced age and or physical impediment.
    Why no carts???

Putter ElementUser is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeontheFloor View Post
    Why no carts???
    I'm guessing to reduce the emissions of polluants lol

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Price discount and notifications when there is a temp green, or they just punched holes in them.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by ForeontheFloor View Post
    Why no carts???
    This is a long standing pet peeve of mine... I am of the belief that golf is meant to be experienced on foot and not with the aid of a motorized conveyance. Nothing steams me more than to see able bodied men and women tooling around in a buggy.

Carts exist for one primary reason - to increase revenue for the course owner.

Carts do not speed up play on most courses, aside from those goofy mountain goat courses that modern day so called architects are wont to create in cahoots with course owners in search of greater revenue.

Carts contribute to those in the 'golf is not a sport' camp, as it provides the cart-bound with cup holders in which they are able to house what used to be savoured post-round, the alcoholic beverage.

If you ride a cart, you are not putting yourself through the complete physical experience... and besides all that, they're an eyesore.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    More time between tee times (10mins). If the courses were less crowded there would be less pressure on pace of play. It would be much more relaxing for all.

I also agree with the no carts. Unless you really can't walk the course I think taking a cart is pretty lame. It does lend to the notion that golf is the only athletic activity where in the middle of a game you put down your cigar to eat a hotdog.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Don't be too quick to judge. I'm 34 and look like I'm in shape, but my rheumatoid arthritis makes it impossible to walk a course. I actually have a handicap parking pass, you should see the looks I get because I'm young and look like I'm in one piece.

This is a long standing pet peeve of mine... I am of the belief that golf is meant to be experienced on foot and not with the aid of a motorized conveyance. Nothing steams me more than to see able bodied men and women tooling around in a buggy.

Carts do not speed up play on most courses, aside from those goofy mountain goat courses that modern day so called architects are wont to create in cahoots with course owners in search of greater revenue.

Carts contribute to those in the 'golf is not a sport' camp, as it provides the cart-bound with cup holders in which they are able to house what used to be savoured post-round, the alcoholic beverage.

If you ride a cart, you are not putting yourself through the complete physical experience... and besides all that, they're an eyesore.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

I second that! Totally agree on every point made. Cheers Mike.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    Don't be too quick to judge. I'm 34 and look like I'm in shape, but my rheumatoid arthritis makes it impossible to walk a course. I actually have a handicap parking pass, you should see the looks I get because I'm young and look like I'm in one piece.
    Then you are in the “exception” rule especially if you have a handicap pass. This point does not apply to you.

You have to agree that most riders have no physical handicap thus are perfectly fit to walk the course. I play 95% of my games at HP (Dome) and if you have played there you would agree that’s a good walk. Most of the members walk the course for every round. Unfortunately I see some young players mid 20’s to late 30’s ride. That baffles me every time especially when playing with my father in law at 66 years old and walks the course over 75 rounds a season and who is a contractor walking miles everyday on construction sites.

Sorry guys, if you choose to walk that's fine but I don't think that you have any right to stand on a soap box and ridicule those who choose to ride in a cart

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Sorry guys, if you choose to walk that's fine but I don't think that you have any right to stand on a soap box and ridicule those who choose to ride in a cart
    I have never radicalized someone for riding but I just don’t understand why they ride other then lazyness. I then wonder why we are, North Americans, getting fatter and fatter…..

I’ll ask you this, do you ride and why do you do so?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    I have never radicalized someone for riding but I just don’t understand why they ride other then lazyness. I then wonder why we are, North Americans, getting fatter and fatter…..

I’ll ask you this, do you ride and why do you do so?

Mike
    I probably ride 50% of the time and walk thee other 50%. Of the rounds that I ride, I'd say 80% of those are on course where you either must ride (I play a number of rounds at the Marshes every year) or where they are billygoat courses. The remainder of the riding rounds are played with a good friend who has a very hard time walking 18 due to medical reasons.

Saying that you can't understand why some people ride other than lazyness IS ridiculing people whether you want to see it that way or not. People play golf for different reasons. My rather for example, goes to the gym 7 days a week, runs 10K every second day and takes a cart for everyone of his 100+ rounds a year - why because he plays golf for the pure enjoyment of the company, for the competition and to unwind - lazy is NOT a word that anyone would use to describe him.

If you prefer to walk that is cool and I applaude your health decision, but I don't think that it's cool to brand everyone who take a cart as being lazy.

As for equating riding a golf cart to the increasing average weight of North Americans I'll again have to disagree. When I started to get more serious about losing weight I had a joint consultation with my physican and personal trainer and they both told me that while walking the course is obviously better than riding a cart there is little to no cardiac benefit from walking as you are not walking long enough between stops to elevate your heart rate. Walking is a great activity but it needs to be done in sustained periods to be of benefit.

I probably ride 50% of the time and walk thee other 50%. Of the rounds that I ride, I'd say 80% of those are on course where you either must ride (I play a number of rounds at the Marshes every year) or where they are billygoat courses. The remainder of the riding rounds are played with a good friend who has a very hard time walking 18 due to medical reasons.

Saying that you can't understand why some people ride other than lazyness IS ridiculing people whether you want to see it that way or not. People play golf for different reasons. My rather for example, goes to the gym 7 days a week, runs 10K every second day and takes a cart for everyone of his 100+ rounds a year - why because he plays golf for the pure enjoyment of the company, for the competition and to unwind - lazy is NOT a word that anyone would use to describe him.

If you prefer to walk that is cool and I applaude your health decision, but I don't think that it's cool to brand everyone who take a cart as being lazy.

As for equating riding a golf cart to the increasing average weight of North Americans I'll again have to disagree. When I started to get more serious about losing weight I had a joint consultation with my physican and personal trainer and they both told me that while walking the course is obviously better than riding a cart there is little to no cardiac benefit from walking as you are not walking long enough between stops to elevate your heart rate. Walking is a great activity but it needs to be done in sustained periods to be of benefit.
    Most of your points are exception. Obviously, tike I stated above, there are physical handicaps or pain or whatever you want to call it that justifies riding but most don’t’ have that excuse.

That is sooo not true. You might want to consult another personal trainer and physician cause walking 5-6 miles on a golf course will raise a heart rate and give a better health benefit then playing a recreational hockey game. I have hereditary cholesterol. The charts they gave me have walking in the top 5 exercise for heart benefits.

Tell you what I challenge you to a round at my home course HP. We will walk the full round and I guaranty you that your hart rate will jump high enough that you will be out of breath on more then a few holes.

Mike

Mike,I agree that walking is great exercise but you have to sustain it. Stopping every couple of hundred yards to hit a shot isn't sustainable....I think we are in the same Church here we just aren't sitting in the same pew.

As for HP, I've walked many a round there when it was the Dome....great course and ibagree that it will elevate the old heart rate, especially for you good golfers who walk "up" to the back tees. HP is a borderline Billygoat course

Most of your points are exception. Obviously, tike I stated above, there are physical handicaps or pain or whatever you want to call it that justifies riding but most don’t’ have that excuse.

That is sooo not true. You might want to consult another personal trainer and physician cause walking 5-6 miles on a golf course will raise a heart rate and give a better health benefit then playing a recreational hockey game. I have hereditary cholesterol. The charts they gave me have walking in the top 5 exercise for heart benefits.

Tell you what I challenge you to a round at my home course HP. We will walk the full round and I guaranty you that your hart rate will jump high enough that you will be out of breath on more then a few holes.

Mike

5 Wood Grabster is on a distinguished road
    I just assumed people ride carts so they have somewhere to put their beer between shots.

I only take carts if the course makes me take it.
    Does that make me NOT lazy?
    Hell no.... I just happen to be more CHEAP than I am LAZY.

Mike,I agree that walking is great exercise but you have to sustain it. Stopping every couple of hundred yards to hit a shot isn't sustainable....I think we are in the same Church here we just aren't sitting in the same pew.

As for HP, I've walked many a round there when it was the Dome....great course and ibagree that it will elevate the old heart rate, especially for you good golfers who walk "up" to the back tees. HP is a borderline Billygoat course
    Let’s agree to disagree but I’ll tell you this, I’m an exercise freak. I won’t say I’m an expert cause there are too many of those around. If you do a bit of research the best way to strengthen your heart is by doing intervals. I can give you a 5 minutes interval cardio workout that will strengthen your heart and give equivalent heart benefits then a 35 minute jog. Jogging for instance is all about endurance and mental discipline after you hit a certain cardio plateau.

Now walking on a course and stopping for every shot is an interval workout. Not an extreme interval but still an interval heart rate jump nonetheless and depending on your physical shape it can feel quite extreme for some. What makes your heart stronger is the recuperating phase for the interval. The heart learns to come back to normal at a faster rate every time. Walking and stopping on the course will give you that benefit. Now even on a flat course like we have in Ottawa the heart rate intervals are very beneficial even if you don’t realize it.

I’m a fast walker by nature but try this. Next time you are walking a course try walking at a faster pace. Try keeping a faster pace throughout the round and notice the deference with your heart rate. I’m not talking about fast walking just a few steps faster then normal. Get out of your comfort zone.

By the way, my offer still stands. A good walk at HP does wonders to your heart but I’m not promising mental health. This course can damage anyone psychologically.

PS: I converted my father in law from cart golfing to walking. We bought him an electric push cart a few years back and he has been walking every time. He has a medical heart history and you would not notice that now. He works hard everyday and that was his excuse for riding every time. No more excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Grabster View Post
    I just assumed people ride carts so they have somewhere to put their beer between shots.

I only take carts if the course makes me take it.
    Does that make me NOT lazy?
    Hell no.... I just happen to be more CHEAP than I am LAZY.
    I want to clarify something. I never said everyone that rides are lazy. I said I don’t understand why someone would ride other then laziness. Meaning that the only thing I can think of as an excuse to not walking is laziness. The exception rule applies. Obviously if you can’t walk, you can’t walk.

Personally all health benefits aside, I hate riding. I feel that it’s like rushing to the next shot. I like the walk to process the last shot and talk myself in to positive thinking and staying in the moment. Other then that walking is a lot better to chat with your fellow players. Riding divides the foursome in two.

Lob Wedge Waynester is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up to this quote. If I pay my green fee and I respect fellow golfers, respect the course, and don't slow anybody down, who's business is it if I walk or ride. Play your game and leave the other to play theirs as they choose.

If I were to change something about a course, it would be to loose the "Country Club" attitude. Golf is a game that's grounded in respect, and I certainly don't feel respected when "elitists" thumb their nose at me for choosing to ride.

I’m a fast walker by nature but try this. Next time you are walking a course try walking at a faster pace. Try keeping a faster pace throughout the round and notice the deference with your heart rate. I’m not talking about fast walking just a few steps faster then normal. Get out of your comfort zone.

By the way, my offer still stands. A good walk at HP does wonders to your heart but I’m not promising mental health. This course can damage anyone psychologically.
    We are in 100% agreement on this point!!

.........and because of that I'm not sure I could walk it, I need to carry 3-4 dozen balls

The thread title is 'what would you change', and I'd ban carts. If you have something you'd like to change, feel free to stand on your soapbox. I don't feel anything I have written can be classified as ridicule. However, if you were offended, then my apologies.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

HP is borderline billygoat, but the tees and greens are relatively close to each other, aside from the 9th green and the 10th tee. Still walkable though, and if you have a poor round you'll at least have done your heart some good.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Thread Information