CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Birdie JWWRMA is on a distinguished road

Graphite vs steel shafts for irons

I am looking at 2 sets of Ping i5's, one with regular graphite shafts and the other with regular steel shafts.

What are the pros and cons of going with graphite vs steel (or visa a versa)?

thanks

Hybrid Gary Madore is on a distinguished road
    I prefer steel because they (the shafts) don't suffer from bag rash (ahem!) like graphite ones do. Anytime I see a nick in a graphite shaft it makes me nervous: I think it's just a matter of time before it comes apart halfway through a backswing.

Maybe I should just learn to take better care of my clubs, though....

Cheers!

Gary

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    HUMMM" Tough choice. I would suggest you try them both and see what gives. With graphite shafts there is a small potential for longer distance(lighter and longer shafts)Also easier on the hands and joints. However some graphite shafts have too much torque and that'll cause the face to twist if you are a big loader Steel shafts are better for control and to slow down a jerky swing. Ask leftylucas
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Hybrid Gary Madore is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee View Post
    Steel shafts are better for control and to slow down a jerky swing
    They never slowed me down any... Oh, you said "jerky swing" ... Never mind

Cheers!

Gary

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Jim,I still have the Hogan FTX you traded me 2 years ago with graphite shfts.and also have a set of steel sfts.I switch from one to the other on a weekly basis and am comfprtable with both.Like ChiefLongtee said,graphite absorbs shock better and less stress on your joints.I really cant tell you any diff. in length or control.What i do notice is when i borrow a set from my son(stiff) thats where i see a big difference.Hard call to make.For resale value on this forum,graphite is a harder sale,at least what i have noticed.Are they both the same price?If so,try and take them out for a few hits and you will know right away whats right for you.Good luck with your purchase.

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Go for the graphite if; you absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, not a question in your mind, NEED graphite !!! Torque values and club lenghts should not be a consideration if one is beeing properly fitted.

The 2 main reasons for going with graphite are ; The feel and shock absorbtion characteristics of the graphite and, the one I believe is the kicker, to increase one's swingspeed or return to a swingspeed that was there at one time long ago if choosing the lower weighted graphite shafts.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Food for thought if interested.

If I can twist the head with my hand while holding the grip with the other then it is no good for me.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Fairway Junkie calleygolf is on a distinguished road
    Graphite=more distance, less control
    Steel=less distance, more control

Slow swing speed (7 iron goes 130-140 MAX) get graphite
    Fast swing speed (7 iron goes 155+) get steel

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    I used to play ping i5 with x-stiff steel shafts which were really nice and heavy. I now play ping s58 with regular graphite shafts which are day/night (I guess due to the weight). It’s like using a knife to cut through butter.

I no longer feel pressure to whack the ball as hard as I can to get the ball where I want. They are so light that you are basically forced to swing easy which have helped my game to be more consistent.

So try both and see what feels better for you. If it feels right, it’s probably better for you on the long run.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by calleygolf View Post
    Graphite=more distance, less control
    Steel=less distance, more control

Slow swing speed (7 iron goes 130-140 MAX) get graphite
    Fast swing speed (7 iron goes 155+) get steel

I was fitted by Callaway and they did not use this at all in determining my shafts. My 7iron goes 140-145 and they told me to stick with my steel shafts, they looked at SS and ball launch and spin to recommend steel shafts for me.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

2 Iron Gulfer is on a distinguished road Gulfer's Avatar
    You have to be comfortable with your shafts, but one thing I learned over the years through trial and error is that steel shafts in irons - stiff for me - lessen your shot dispersion (i.e. left and right of your target) and improve scores. TaylorMade has excellent (or used to have) TayLite shafts, and I'm sure there are many others on the market. But if you're happy with graphite then you've found what works for you and you should stick with it of course.
    Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful woman - and you can keep the golf clubs and fresh air. - Jack Benny

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree fully with the post above, I loved the steel shafts I had but had to sell the iron set so I purchased some X20s w/ graphite. That experiment did last long, I was awful. I had them reshafted with Steel that are close to the characteristics of my older shafts and now I am starting to get accurate again.
    Getting shafts that compliment your swing is important, after getting my driver fitted I purchased identical shafts for my woods/hybrids.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Thread Information