100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    2 Iron Golfy Kid is on a distinguished road Golfy Kid's Avatar

Hit tree, hit my hand then on the green ...

Par 3

I hit my ball from the tee and landed 3 feet from a small tree.
    I tried to chip it on the green but hit the tree, then it hit me and landed on the green.
    When I hit the tree, my reaction is to cover my face and while doing that, I "knock" the ball and landed on the green.

Do I get a penalty or just going to putt for par ?

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfy Kid View Post
    Par 3

I hit my ball from the tee and landed 3 feet from a small tree.
    I tried to chip it on the green but hit the tree, then it hit me and landed on the green.
    When I hit the tree, my reaction is to cover my face and while doing that, I "knock" the ball and landed on the green.

Do I get a penalty or just going to putt for par ?
    You get a penalty and putt for bogey.

Rule 19 - Ball in Motion Deflected or Stopped

19-2 - By Player, Partner, Caddie or Equipment

If a player's ball is accidentally deflected or stopped by himself, his partner or either of their caddies or equipment, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke. The ball must be played as it lies...

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    so if you are playing a match just get in the way of your FCs ball and he gets a penalty the rules of golf are so dumb
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Silly, what are you doing in front of your competitor when he is hitting his ball? It is normal practice to stand behind the player. If the ball hits an object then you, it seems there is not much one can do but then again there are many such odd rules in golf.

What if the players ball hits you but you stopped it from going into heavy rough or to an unplayable lie. I think a player would gladly take the 1 stroke penalty and play from where you are. Remember that rules can be fair or unfair depending on the circumstnce at hand.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Rule 19 - Ball in Motion Deflected or Stopped

19-2 - By Player, Partner, Caddie or Equipment

You get a 1 stroke penalty if it hit YOU or your PARTNER... not if you hit your opponent. Silly, if you are my opponent and I hit you that is too bad... you shouldn't be in front of me...lol. There would be no penalty (I think - not under 19-2 anyway)
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Chambokl, is it still a penalty if you intended to hit Silly?
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I am not that big and from I hear he is about the same size as Geoff... so know I wouldn't intentionally hit him. What happen if I miss and he comes after me... Start the car....
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    so if you are playing a match just get in the way of your FCs ball and he gets a penalty the rules of golf are so dumb
    Yeah, nobody has ever thought of that before....

19-3 - By Opponent, Caddie or Equipment in Match Play
    If a player's ball is accidentally deflected or stopped by an opponent, his caddie or his equipment, there is no penalty.

The player may, before another stroke is made by either side, cancel the stroke and play a ball, without penalty, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5) or he may play the ball as it lies.

Remember, in match play you are playing against an opponent - not a fellow-competitor. And you may want to peruse this one too:

Rule 1-2 Exerting Influence on the Ball
    A player or caddie must not take any action to influence the position or the movement of a ball except in accordance with the Rules.

*Penalty for Breach of Rule 1-2: Match play — Loss of hole; Stroke play — Two strokes.
    *In the case of a serious breach of Rule 1-2, the Committee may impose a penalty of disqualification.

You're DQ'd buddy. Thanks for coming.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    And if your oponent is 50yards OOB taking a pee in a bush , and you shank the ball OOB and hit him ....you get to play again , for free ...

Thread Information