100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Sand Wedge SnakeEye is on a distinguished road

Lefty - but right handed ?

Just wondering if anyone else here plays golf lefthand but is really right handed ?
    I'm probably missing some distance playing this way; but can't shift my weight properly from the other side.

Hybrid latch is on a distinguished road
    Don't worry, you're not the only one

I play golf and hockey as a lefty but play baseball, tennis and pretty much everything else right-handed.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEye View Post
    Just wondering if anyone else here plays golf lefthand but is really right handed ?
    I'm probably missing some distance playing this way; but can't shift my weight properly from the other side.
    They're not here, but both Phil Mickelson and Mike Weir play left-handed but are really right-handed. They seem to be doing OK with it!

Pitching Wedge Mick-Mulli is on a distinguished road
    I play left handed and I'm right handed. I swing hockey, baseball, and golf lefty but am right handed.
    I like what walhberg said on that playing lesson show on the golf channel.....he said "someone once told me
    there were no left handed golfers, and then I went to canada. And they were everywhere because there
    all hockey players ". That's funny because I see so many lefties everytime I play.

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    I'm a lefty for writing, tennis, squash, but shoot right in hockey and golf. Doesn't seem so odd to me
    Wannabe Golf

Hybrid Bravesox is on a distinguished road Bravesox's Avatar
    this is the same as me...but i dont feel i am losing power or anything...and power is no good if you dont have the control anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Foddz View Post
    I'm a lefty for writing, tennis, squash, but shoot right in hockey and golf. Doesn't seem so odd to me

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    They're not here, but both Phil Mickelson and Mike Weir play left-handed but are really right-handed. They seem to be doing OK with it!
    Oh well there goes that excuse - back to the range.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    the "left", "right" designation is arbitrary and has nothing to do with what your dominant wirting hand is. it is a description of where the club is positioned, or which way the stick curves, or in baseball, which side of the plate the batter stands on from the pitchers point of view. ever wonder why a "right handed batter" and "left fielder" play on the same side of the field???

many hockey players shoot "the wrong way", meaning they are right handed and shoot left, but this makes sense form a developmental point of view. a child whose dominant hand is right will pick up an item and swing it with their dominant (right) hand. the natural progression is to put the other hand down the shaft., menaing they will shoot left.

so, one could say that right handed people that shoot right are the ones who are wrong.

Pitching Wedge kofclubs is on a distinguished road
    I like G8R's explanation. I'm right handed and hit left handed in golf and baseball and I'm one of the longer hitters at my golf course. For reference my 9 iron (43' loft) is my 150 club so it shouldn't affect your distance.

The problem I find is that all the golf magazines tips are for right handers so you have to imagine everything the opposite.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    I agree with all these posts - in fact, I think it is quite "normal for "right-handed" people to play left-handed in Canada. If you have a legacy of playing other sports left-handed (e.g. hockey, batting a baseball) then you probably are not losing any power by playing left handed. I know in my case, I drive the ball an average of 260 and normally hit at least 1 drive per round that is around 300. Now accuraccy.. that is a different question

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Indio plays golf Right-handed but is naturally Under-handed............does that count for anything?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEye View Post
    Why would you be missing some distance?

What I have learned is that golfers who are left and right handed, swinging right and left handed respectively, have a huge advantage over those who are right swinging right and left swinging left. The truth is that 90%+ of our swing problems are caused by the lower dominant arm, hand and shoulder, that is, dominant shoulder roll, dominant arm thrust and dominant hand cast. If these were put into a submissive role, then there would likley be an increase in inertia, "centrifugal" force, and thus increased distance and probably accuracy, too.

By having the dominant arm as the LEAD arm, that is a pulling action, there is increased probability of the hands being ahead of the ball at impact, which is a must for superior ball striking. Right handed, right side dominant golfers would help there games immensely, if they were to significantly strengthen their weaker lead arm

The two greatest ball strikers ever, Moe Norman and Ben Hogan, were both left handed.

Last edited by SnakeEye; 05-27-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: lame

Thread Information