100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Slicing

Sand Wedge Strait is on a distinguished road

Unhappy Slicing

Hi

I am a left handed Hitter and i am having trouble hitting the driver for a straight shot of the tee, it always slice to my left i am pretty sure i loose about 25 to 35 yrds right of the bat, i was wondering if anyone can suggest me tips or help me to stop that slice , i have try different aids like purchasing the Launchpad books dvd's and still no success.

Thank You All

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    all those aids you mentioned won't help you. There is a glove out there (smith glove?) that will work. Also try the inside approach. from what i understand two things can cause a slice, open club face at impact and an outside in swing. This will correct both of them. Trying keeping your top wrist flat at the top of your swing, worked for me
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I have 3 suggestions 1) lessons 2) lessons 3) lessons
    Actually since there can be many reasons for a slice one really needs to see your swing otherwise you can try a bunch of stuff suggested here (and it will come) and get poorer results. A lesson from a Pro will not only help your slice but set you up properly. You cna ahve a perfect swing and still slice the ball if at impact your face is open for whatever reason. My 2 cents anyways
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

another thing I did to prevent slicing is at the top of the swing was to make sure that my top hands thumb felt directly under the shaft... when i slice now, its because I forget to do that
    willy

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Have a good teaching pro look at your swing. It is unlikely that we hacks could fix your slice sight unseen even if we knew what we were talking about. That said, that won't stop us from suggesting a remedy.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Have a good teaching pro look at your swing. It is unlikely that we hacks could fix your slice sight unseen even if we knew what we were talking about. That said, that won't stop us from suggesting a remedy.
    listen to mpare, if you ever saw me play you would never listen to me
    willy

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    If you can apply to everything in this video you'll be home free in no time:
    http://video.about.com/golf/How-to-Correct-a-Slice.htm
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thank You all for your info i am looking into prices now, and SillyWilly do you have Greg phone number and does he teach in the Ottawa Region???

3 Iron Goshawk is on a distinguished road Goshawk's Avatar
    There are several "causes" that contribute to a slice. I agree with several others that you should have a qualified instructor look at your swing to see just what's the cause(s).
    Also, what that instructor will want to know is "what is your ball flight like". Is it straight for a bit and a turn to the left, or start right then hard turn left? Different causes for these two different results.
    Most likely (without being able to see you swing) you're swing "path" is outside to inside. If it's starting right then turning left, you're probably making contact with a square clubface, but the inside direction of the clubface is causing the serious side-spin. If the clubface were to be open, it would start fairly straight then turn left.
    I also like the idea of the Inside Approach as well. It has helped my students too because you will get instant feedback when you come "over the top". The only thing this device won't show is whether the clubface were open/square/closed.

3 Iron Jason Munro is on a distinguished road
    I used to hit a slice no matter how well I struck the ball. My problem was my shoulders were open at address. Check yours. Could be that simple.

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    I have been working on this for the last little while and I think I have figured out my main problem. It was in fact an inside swing. How I fixed this, started too. was to swing over and over and see where my swing goes up, and how it comes back making sure it was on plane. Keeping your shoulder tucked in will help. Definitely is a different feeling. I have lost probably 25 yards off my tee but until I can do it consistantly, I will be satisfied not dropping for three.
    Another thing is to make sure your grip is correct.

Good luck

Pitching Wedge Crackberry is on a distinguished road
    3 places to start:
    Alignment
    Ball Position
    Posture

A slice is caused by a the club coming outside-in on a steep path, right? If you tried the opposite, which is inside-out with a more shallow approach, you may find something between the O-I move and the how the I-O move feels.

You can look at how you are holding your balance at the end of the swing. If you're on your back foot, there's the O-I.

If you're right shoulder moves out from the top rather than down, you're coming Over the top = O-I

There are many factors and I'm sure they have been listed here on the site.

Hybrid keble is on a distinguished road
    Aligment, ball position, posture are very important I agree. except that, I want to add some. You need to extraly be carefully on your TAKEAWAY. You don't want to open clubface too much or bring ur clubhead too much inside in takeaway. If you don't slice with ur irons or hybrids, your problem might be in takeaway in driver, since the arc is wider with driver.

it's so hard to say without a video.

Well Guys it is really hard to try to figure things out i have been trying and trying to find a solution i even purchase a LaunchPad Simulator. But i got a hard time to read the Analyzer. My budget is really really tight for a couple of lessons but i am getting sick and tired of golf when i play like that when i go to courses when i drive i start to count 3 on my seconde shot cause i know it will take me 3 shots to get to the green on a par 4 so just imagine how frustrated that is.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    It can be a lot simpler or complicated then that an OTT swing. You can have an in-to-out or out-to-in path and still slice the ball.

There are three main factors to a ball flight. The main factors here are the path (where the ball starts) and face angle (the effect on the ball).

If you don’t have the money or time for a pro lesson, have a friend stand behind you at the course or the range. Tell him what you are aiming at and then ask him where the ball starts before it curves to the left since you are a lefty.

If it starts to the right you have an OTT move and an open face angle at the ball. BC mist has a lot of drills here to solve that.

If it starts straight then you have an open face at the ball. Wour swing is OK. Work on your grip and practice releasing the ball.

If it starts to the left, you are in-to-out and pushing the ball with an open face. Try having a flat wrist at the top. This will help square the club face and should draw the ball in no time.

Having a square club face at the top is #1 key to be square at impact. Your divot is your best friend on the course. It tells no lies.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

well i do have a little bit of cash but not for 4 or 5 lessons and it will take more than one lesson to cure this thing , but i notice when i go and play a round that my ball go straight and then it goes left i saw it once and it is the same over and over , by the way you play at the haute plaine if yes do you know Al Turner.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Yes I’m a member at HP but no I don’t know Al Turner.

Your ball might seem to start straight but make sure. Ask your playing partner to look at your alignment by telling him where you are aiming. Your body alignment to your target is very important. After you have the knowledge of what you’re really doing then you will know what to work on. Make a mistake here and you will work on the wrong thing and make things worst.

If you are shy to ask a playing partner you can use a shaft on the ground aligned to your target. When you setup, align your feet, knees and shoulders parallel to shaft that is pointing to your target. Once you hit the ball backup and compare your divot and the shat on the ground. This will give you enough info to tell you what you are doing wrong.

A good pro will teach you this to make you understand and correct problems without having to see a pro every time.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

well i play this weekend and let me teel you i went to play at the Touraine and i played like sh&%$ Slice after Slice after Slice exept for one hole i hit the ball straight like a arrow with the shoot i got onto the green in 2 Par4

I will try to get a 1 ir 2 lessons underneath my belt cause i am about to sell everything i got and my wife will be doing a big garage sale pretty soon like in about 2 weeks .

Thread Information