CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hybrids

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar

Hybrids

Here's an interesting article on hybrid clubs. I know there's been some talk about how to hit long irons and long iron replacements so I thought I would post the link.

http://www.golfdigest.com/equipment/...bridclubs.html
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Pitching Wedge Vulcan is on a distinguished road

Great article

What a great article. And it's even better because of our Vulcan Z3 Hybrid club is pictured in the article.

They really are easy to hit.

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    That is a great article, especially the part about 2 & 3 - irons being like your mother- in-law.

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    My only question with Hybrids is.....do you think that your iron play will suffer because you give up on longer irons rather than practicing through the difficulties? That is not aimed at anyone (I am as guilty as anyone...I carry a 7 wood and love it)

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by mkemila
    My only question with Hybrids is.....do you think that your iron play will suffer because you give up on longer irons rather than practicing through the difficulties? That is not aimed at anyone (I am as guilty as anyone...I carry a 7 wood and love it)
    Good point.
    I do think your iron play suffers by not hitting lone irons. What I do, since I have removed both my 3 & 4 - irons, is bring the 3 & 4 to the range to practice with. After spending 15-20 minutes hitting a 3-iron & the rest of the irons are a piece of cake.
    When it comes to a forced carry of 190-200 yds, I'll take my 7 wood over my 3-iron any day.

Andru
    This whole industry is a sham in many ways.

95% of the sets available are 3 to 9 iron. Then they tell you ok now take the 3 and 4 irons out of your bag and buy hybrids. Why don't they start making sets including. 5,6,7,8,9,pw,gw,sw. Or the very least 4-gw, Then sell those hybrids. It feels like they're double dipping selling 2 clubs for the same job.

I know there are a few sets that come with hybrids but most do not.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Cheers

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Why don't they start making sets including. 5,6,7,8,9,pw,gw,sw. Or the very least 4-gw, Then sell those hybrids. It feels like they're double dipping selling 2 clubs for the same job.

I know there are a few sets that come with hybrids but most do not.
    I agree with your premise but not with your solution.

First of all, some people prefer the long irons and can hit them well. What do they do if only hybrids are available (as with Adams Idea)?

Secondly, many people prefer wedges that are different than their irons (i.e., Clevelands or Vokeys) so a 4-GW or 5-SW set would still be selling 2 clubs that would only be replaced.

My solution would be:
    a) make hybrids optional to replace long irons (Ping is doing this with their G2s)
    b) make the standard iron set 5-PW and reduce prices accordingly (makes the most sense but is not likely to happen).
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Pitching Wedge Vulcan is on a distinguished road
    Andru and El Tigre...

Your comments are very valid. Vulcan now offers 8 club sets. You can mix and match irons and hybrids.

I currently play a 22* and 25* hybrid woody, and 5-pw.

Not many companies offer this type of selection.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    I agree with your premise but not with your solution.

First of all, some people prefer the long irons and can hit them well. What do they do if only hybrids are available (as with Adams Idea)?

Secondly, many people prefer wedges that are different than their irons (i.e., Clevelands or Vokeys) so a 4-GW or 5-SW set would still be selling 2 clubs that would only be replaced.

My solution would be:
    a) make hybrids optional to replace long irons (Ping is doing this with their G2s)
    b) make the standard iron set 5-PW and reduce prices accordingly (makes the most sense but is not likely to happen).
    That was kind of my point without saying it. Give the buyer the option of purchasing any 8 clubs they want. If they're dead set on selling 8 clubs.

1) I was't suggesting all sets come with hybrids. But let's face it. The Majority of golf equipment in no way represents the skill level of the majority of golfers.

2) The gw wedge was introduced when the manufacturers decided to change the loft on a pw to 45-47 degrees from 49-50. So adding a 50-51 degree gw in the set is not unreasonable I agree with you about the SW though.

3) Just give them the option IE: 3-PW or 4-GW. This seems very reasonable and OEM's can still make the 8 club set available. So the people who really like 3 irons can buy them in the set and those who would prefer a hybrid or lofted wood can do the same.

As you said probably not going to happen.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Here's an interesting article on hybrid clubs. I know there's been some talk about how to hit long irons and long iron replacements so I thought I would post the link.

http://www.golfdigest.com/equipment/...bridclubs.html
    Similar story:
    http://www.clubmakingwire.com/gw_2004_05_05.html
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I do pretty much the same except I sorta one upta ya....I went out and bought a one iron....anytime that I feel like I am getting y on the course I go to the range the next day with this one iron.....a humbling experience to say the least

Quote Originally Posted by mr shank
    Good point.
    I do think your iron play suffers by not hitting lone irons. What I do, since I have removed both my 3 & 4 - irons, is bring the 3 & 4 to the range to practice with. After spending 15-20 minutes hitting a 3-iron & the rest of the irons are a piece of cake.
    When it comes to a forced carry of 190-200 yds, I'll take my 7 wood over my 3-iron any day.

Ì guess that explains it all:

Today, 07:36 PM #11
    mkemila
    1 Iron

Mahatma Gandhi

excuse me?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Ì guess that explains it all:

Today, 07:36 PM #11
    mkemila
    1 Iron

Top left hand corner. Your user name and your status. You are actually a 1 iron. No offense intended. Mine says I am a regular sometimes although Colby thinks I am irregular.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I hadn't even noticed I was a one iron!! One other thing I had forgotten to mention, I saw some of the yardages mentioned below......with my one iron, I can put a divot about 150 yards!!.......the ball stays were it started but to watch that divot fly through the air with the greatest of ease.....almost brings a tear to my eye

Quote Originally Posted by Andre Cantin
    Top left hand corner. Your user name and your status. You are actually a 1 iron. No offense intended. Mine says I am a regular sometimes although Colby thinks I am irregular.

Thread Information