CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

I hate people who up their asking price!!!

So i was buying something off torontogolf and I see something that I like. I didn't low ball the guy, didn't even make an offer of any kind. Just PMd him and said I would take it. So, I am supposed to go pick it up yesterday evening and I get a phone call "sorry depe, i can't sell it to you. Someone is offering me $25 more."

***NOTE: I'm not gonna post his name or what I bought cause he is a newbie and maybe didn't know better and rarely sells so i doubt anyone will ever come across him

I was ** because i was pretty much out the door to pick the item up. I told him that I planned my whole day around this and now i'm not even buying it? Told him what I thought of him and he had the balls to ask me if I'd like to up my offer... like he was doing me a favor. I swore at him and hung up. he called me back today and said he felt really bad about what happened and that he wants to make it upto me. He said he would be willing to give it to me for only $15 more than we agreed... like he is doing me a favor!!!

Here is the problem, although I want to beat the snot out of this guy...I need the item badly for a gift and if I don't get it I won't be able to come up with something within my price range for this coming weekend. I'm kinda stuck

i should put the item in my trunk and when I give him the money I should offer him $25 less than his original asking price and tell him to take it or leave it so he knows what it feels like
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    not a great move, especially if he had a deal with you at a set price.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    AGreed.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Tell him to take a flying leap and buy something else.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

so, i went to pick up today. asked him to see if it would fit in my trunk. he said sure, we put it in and I said "SOLD" and i slammed my trunk. Pulled out the cash and said "I found someone selling it to me for $85 so here is $85. He looked at me and said, i'm not selling it for that much, I have an offer at $125 which I've now backed out of as you agreed to take it at $115!! I told him that i could have missed other deals because I thought we had a deal at $100 and its the same thing, I told him I was driving away in 60 seconds and he can either have $85 or he can have nothing. He moved to block my way back to my door but changed his mind after I shot him a look. He didn't count the money infront of me, had he done so he would have noticed there actaully was $115, not $85. I agreed to pay $115 and I keep my word. maybe now he has an idea of what he did?? who knows.
    willy

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    So you basically bullied him. Makes you worse than him IMO. Why can't people just act like gentlemen, this is a gentleman's game after all. Pathetic.

Out of Bounds rancherJ is on a distinguished road rancherJ's Avatar
    So you basically bullied him. Makes you worse than him IMO. Why can't people just act like gentlemen, this is a gentleman's game after all. pathetic.
    Could not agree more, shameful behaviour. I can only hope this didn't actually happen

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    Man, you going to give yourself a heart attack, I am sure you could have gotten the message across to him without all of that. That's what happens when emotions take over from logical thought Mr. Spock.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

before I reply to everyone, I'd like to update everyone on what happened

Last night I got a money transfer for $20 and after I accepted it, I got an email apology. The guy basically said he now realizes what he did was wrong and he won't do it again. he realizes that he lsiting was not an auction and when he thought I had short changed him $30 he felt ripped off and angry which is probably what I felt when he tried to jack the price on me $25. I accepted the apology and the money

Now to reply to everyone who doesn't agree with what I did. yes golf is a gentlemans sport and all I did was give this guy a taste of his own medicine. I make no apologies for what I did. I felt it was the only way to get my cart and teach the guy a lesson. I'm one of those kinda guys who thinks the ends justify the means as long as you do it in a lawful manner. I broke no laws, I broke no bones and I taught a punk a lesson. I am a hero... Give me a medal!!
    willy

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    NO medal, this was not golf, this was a business transaction. He was completely wrong to make an offer and then to rescind it, in fact I am sure you could have a strong argument in small claims court. What you did may have worked but it does not justify it in any way just because you received an apology. You could have easily have gotten a broken nose out of it. In any case its all a matter of opinion and another chapter in your book of amazing stories.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Can you handle my golf transactions from now on

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    NO medal, this was not golf, this was a business transaction. He was completely wrong to make an offer and then to rescind it, in fact I am sure you could have a strong argument in small claims court. What you did may have worked but it does not justify it in any way just because you received an apology. You could have easily have gotten a broken nose out of it. In any case its all a matter of opinion and another chapter in your book of amazing stories.
    you do have a point, luckly it has never come to that.
    willy

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Can you handle my golf transactions from now on
    Geoff giving you trouble?? he is a pretty big kid, don't think he will get out of my way lol
    willy

BG458
    He would be one of the very few that would not get out of your way.

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    Geoff giving you trouble?? he is a pretty big kid, don't think he will get out of my way lol

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    no case for small claims (even if it was for a few hundred $$). its an offer an he is free to accept or refuse it. Even is he says yes, he can change his mind before the transaction occurs.

you do not have to accept any offer that is given, and while not exactly the nice thing to do, he is perfectly within his rights to reconsider the offers given.
    If done in advance, I have no real problem with it, its the people who show up for a transaction and try to short change you, saying "oh, i am $20 short, hope thats ok" after agreeing on a set amount.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by g8r View Post
    no case for small claims (even if it was for a few hundred $$). its an offer an he is free to accept or refuse it. Even is he says yes, he can change his mind before the transaction occurs.

you do not have to accept any offer that is given, and while not exactly the nice thing to do, he is perfectly within his rights to reconsider the offers given.
    If done in advance, I have no real problem with it, its the people who show up for a transaction and try to short change you, saying "oh, i am $20 short, hope thats ok" after agreeing on a set amount.
    I wouldn't be so quick to jump to that conclusion......I think there is a case to be made that you had a verbal contract. We are taught in Government procurement courses to NEVER talk price with a potential vendor because that quickly leads you down the slippery slope of verbal contracts.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/oca-bc....g/ca02362.html

If you had a PM indicating that the seller had agreed to your price then I think you'd have a very, very strong case.......now, collecting is a whole other issue

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Please consider real estate transactions. How often (especially in a seller's market) do homes sell for more than their asking price? In fact, sellers often expect to get more than they are asking in those situations.

I would say classified ads are more like auctions than we think.
    Andrew

Now now boys, too much legal spegal, an offer is made, Silly accepts, the transaction is binding, then all hell breaks loose when the terms change. Small claims is definitely an option but for less than a couple of hundred I would not even consider it. I am taking for granted that Silly has the necessary documentation on the sale. Given his track record for odd things coming his way I am sure he has it engraved in his BBerry!!
    Lefty Lucas

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    you're right Luc. I like to live my life by the addage of "treat others the way you would like to be treated" That way it doesn't turn into the situation here, which is more like "treat others the way they treated you" I see the logic for sure, but for me life is too short to live angry.
    Andrew

Plus it cuts into beer drinking time
    Lefty Lucas

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    "Round here we talk just like lions, but we sacrifice like lambs..."
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    I was checking for the BST rules which I can't find... but on this site if you sell something for $100 and somebody says he will take it... IT is considered sold.

You can't tell somebody else that you already have an offer for $100 and if he gives you $120 he could have it... members have been ban for a lot less than that!
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

We didn't directly address this issue in our forum rules until now.

I just added this.

No Dealing in Bad Faith.
    ie: If a buyer meets the asking price and the seller cancels the deal sell to someone else for more, or ask that the initial buyer outbid another potential buyer willing to pay more, the seller is deemed to be dealing in bad faith.
    Negative feedback and repoting the incident to a moderator would certainly be warranted, and if the seller does not learn from the mistake, then they'd no longer be welcome here.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    We didn't directly address this issue in our forum rules until now.

I just added this.

Negative feedback and repoting the incident to a moderator would certainly be warranted, and if the seller does not learn from the mistake, then they'd no longer be welcome here.
    That is fair if it is clearly part of the rules of participating in the site.

so many rules added because of me (joking)
    willy

At least this time it's not because of something you did. The bullying not withstanding.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    Please consider real estate transactions. How often (especially in a seller's market) do homes sell for more than their asking price? In fact, sellers often expect to get more than they are asking in those situations.

I would say classified ads are more like auctions than we think.
    Under general contract law when an offer to sell is accepted and all material terms have been agreed to - you have a contract. Written documentation is not required to have a contract - but it does make it a lot easier to prove things to a judge if there is a dispute later on.

Real estate transactions are not covered by general contract law because they have their own special rules, plus they usually have legislation (which always trumps common law anyway).

That being said, a $100 deal is not worth going to court.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    At least this time it's not because of something you did. The bullying not withstanding.

in my defence, he was much smaller than me
    willy

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    so many rules added because of me (joking)

I would still like to know the rule about: you can't trust Torontonians. Nothing personal nothing offensive. Just a joke. The post was deleted. Meanwhile the Canada post thread is still on the site for everyone to see. i really don't get it
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Wannamaker brucestats is on a distinguished road brucestats's Avatar
    All of this thread really makes me thankful when I have pain free deals, even have fun for goodness sake when meeting someone over a transaction. I would have just walked if a seller starts doing unethical (though legal) stuff, ( unless of course, he is selling some lefty japanese forgings).

Two thumbs up to the honorable sellers on Ottawa golf. There are plenty.
    My paycheck goes to my dogs.

Thread Information