CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Barnie

Golfing Nova Scotia

Hey there. I've been thinking of heading to Nova Scotia sometime this summer for a little golf vacation. Does anyone know of any good golf vacation sites or any travel agent to call that offers cheap rates. I'd like to play around 5 rounds at the top end courses nova scotia has to offer. I'm interested in both accomodation and non-accomodation packages. I found one site that offered accommodation and 4 rounds for $369.99, I'd like to get cheaper if it's possible. Anyway if anyone has been and got a better deal let me know where you got it from. Much appreciated!

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnie
    Hey there. I've been thinking of heading to Nova Scotia sometime this summer for a little golf vacation. Does anyone know of any good golf vacation sites or any travel agent to call that offers cheap rates. I'd like to play around 5 rounds at the top end courses nova scotia has to offer. I'm interested in both accomodation and non-accomodation packages. I found one site that offered accommodation and 4 rounds for $369.99, I'd like to get cheaper if it's possible. Anyway if anyone has been and got a better deal let me know where you got it from. Much appreciated!
    dbleber:
    Being from the Nova Scotia, you have to play the one in Cape Breton. I am from Halifax and have never played the course in Cape Breton and now that I live in Ontario I regret it! If you are going down east for golf PEI is the place to be. Nova Scotia is a great place to visit and Halifax in the summer is an experience that ever one should have, but for just golf PEI is the place to go.
    Denny

Barnie

Golf PEI

I actually played a few of the courses in PEI last year and your right, it is a great place for golf. Crowbush was fantastic!! Unfortunately I don't have the time or the money to play at both locations this year and I really want to play Highland Links Thanks for the replies U2

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Must play: Highlands Links

Should play: Bell Bay, Chester, Northumberland, Digby Pines

Play if you can afford it: Fox Harb'r

Gap Wedge redgun22 is on a distinguished road
    ... I'd like to play around 5 rounds at the top end courses nova scotia has to offer...
    My one suggestion would be to play at least two of your rounds at Highlands Links. It's not often that you get to play a Top 100 in the World course... and at pretty reasonable prices (top rate is about $80)... and the course is so full of nuances that you'll appreciate it even more a second (or third) time around.

I was out there for the first time last year and played Highlands four times and loved the course more every time. Also played one round at Bell Bay... which is a very nice course, but paled in comparison to the timeless layout of Highlands. Bell Bay is a very new-style Thomas McBroom layout with a few very nice holes... but also several holes that remind you of many new-style courses here in Ottawa. Highlands has an incredible variety of intriguing holes (#6 and #7 are my favorites)... many of which you have never seen any thing similar.

Just my 2 cents...

Sand Wedge kevmcm is on a distinguished road

I grew up in Cape Breton

I have played pretty much every course in Nova Scotia, I would recommend renting a cottage in Ingonish (Cape Breton Highlands) and spend every last cent you have on golf rounds at the Highland Links. I went to Las Vegas this year and played the TPC at the Canyons, a PGA tour venue, thinking it would compare to the Highland Links and it is not even in the same league.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    All of the foregoing are very good suggestions. As a long time resident of Nova Scotia and one who has played most of its courses, it might be useful to you if we knew where in the province you might be staying. If you want to provide that information, then I would probably be able to give you a better idea of where to play and maybe even where to stay.

As for Cape Breton, this is a must go area. Keep in mind though that the weather can sometimes be a challenge even the heart of summer. That aside, that part of the province has many gems. You have already been told about the Highlands and Bell Bay. You might also want to consider visiting Le Portage in Cheticamp, as well as the Dundee course.

It used to be that there were very good golf packages for Cape Breton. Some included Bell Bay and the Highlands in a weekend package. My wife and I prefered to stay in Baddeck in part because of the Alexander Graham Bell museum. This is a great spot to spend a couple of hours during a rain or golf break.

One last point. Depending on where and when you are in the Province there should be almost no problem in signing up for a local tournament. Most are 36 hole events (Sat and Sun) and the entry fees are always reasonable. If you sign up early enough and have an valid RCGA handicap, you should have no problem getting in. Best of all, and unlike the situation here in Ontario, the entry fee is a bargain and as I already noted, the tournaments are almost always on the weekend. Maritimers actually believe that you need not be retired to play competitive golf! The NSGA site lists, among other things, the Sanctioned Club Invitationals. Here is the link: http://www.nsga.ns.ca/NSGA_CI.HTM

Have fun. If you need anything more, please let me know.

Barnie
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I did a little homework on the courses Nova Scotia has to offer. I'd like to hit these up: Glen Abrbour, Highland Links, Bell Bay, Osprey Ridge, The Pines, and Fox Harb'r. I know they are scattered from one end of Nova Scotia to the other but they all look so nice it's hard to head home without checking them out!! Anyway thanks for the info, I'll try to find a package that let's me have more control of the courses I want to play, that is if anyone offers such a deal.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LongBallHitter
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hey LongBall. I had no luck with GolfNovaScotia Link. Can you (or others) acess it??

Thanks,

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by faldo
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Hey LongBall. I had no luck with GolfNovaScotia Link. Can you (or others) acess it??

Thanks,
    No problem for me faldo. Are you using all lower case letters? Type it in instead of clicking the link and see.
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    No problem for me faldo. Are you using all lower case letters? Type it in instead of clicking the link and see.
    This link is probably more useful and always works: http://www.nsga.ns.ca/index.html
    Through this site you can link all the information you would ever want or need.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I did a little homework on the courses Nova Scotia has to offer. I'd like to hit these up: Glen Abrbour, Highland Links, Bell Bay, Osprey Ridge, The Pines, and Fox Harb'r. I know they are scattered from one end of Nova Scotia to the other but they all look so nice it's hard to head home without checking them out!! Anyway thanks for the info, I'll try to find a package that let's me have more control of the courses I want to play, that is if anyone offers such a deal.
    All great courses and each very different from the other. For instance, the greens at Glen Arbour and Bell Bay will be much faster than those at the Pines, which tend to play a bit slower. Save up your pennies, though. You've got some pricey ones in there.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Good one. Thanks Mike.

The other just redirects me everything about NS..

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Excellent choices! 2 classic Stanley thomson courses and 4 new beauties. I've played 3 of those 6 and you will enjoy them for sure. And I have heard great things about the other 3. I am jealous just thinking about your trip. Not jealous about what your credit card bill will be though - probably more than $700 for the 6 rounds. Make sure you book ahead especially for the Highlands Links as it can get pretty busy with tourist traffic. It use to be a hidden gem for the locals (I lived in Cape Breton for a decade) but now that it has received so much publicity it has gotten harder to get a tee time as I discovered when I went there on vacation a few years ago.

Barnie
    Ahh thanks for the advice. I'll definitely pre-book all the tee times before I head out. As for the money, it looks like camping will be in my future Thanks for all the replies.

Sand Wedge McCarlie is on a distinguished road McCarlie's Avatar
    I'm actually from Nova Scotia, I played out of the Digby Pines course. It really is worth playing, although it is qutie a hike from all the other top notches, and even from Halifax (2 1/2 hours) but if for some reason you are even close, I recommend that you take that little extra step. They offer good deals if you stay at the resort. You get like two rounds of golf, excellent resort stay, a complimentary five star breakfast and a free drink from the clubhouse. Atleast when I was there last summer it was still on.

Good luck golfing out East

Putter bestgolftrip is on a distinguished road
    We've launched our Nova Scotia golf packages, lots of exceptional golf packages you might be interested in!
    https://bestgolftrips.ca/nova-scotia-golf-packages/

Golf Nut justdoit is on a distinguished road justdoit's Avatar
    Fox Harbour resort..amazing ocean front course,not cheap maybe 150 per round,Tiger Woods,Bill Clinton and Bobby Orr have all played it in the past.The course is bordering on Northumberalnd strait.Others are Ken Wo course,Kentville area,Paragon in the Annapolis area.Truro golf and country club..Nova Scotia has many courses...better than PEI imho

Thread Information