CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

Why is the clublink section private?

I don't get it. I'm sure dan will answer this very quickly but here is my guess.

The club link members are to cool to talk to us and don't want us poor people to know they are rich... Kidding, actually I have no idea. Just curious
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    So they can discuss issues of intrest to Cllublink members without comments from non members clouding the issues.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    7 minutes........Dan, you are slipping

Gotta Post 3Jack is on a distinguished road 3Jack's Avatar
    Would be nice for us non-clublinkers to have read-only access... might help those of us who are considering joining. Then again, perhaps it would dissuade us.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

It's their club. Not really any of our concern.

Nor is it as interesting to non-members as you might think.

Alrighty then.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    So they can discuss issues of intrest to Cllublink members without comments from non members clouding the issues.
    This is just an observation Dan;

So I guess what your saying here is "comments from non members are not a valid as Club Link members" ?

Is that not the same thing as saying views from the "general public" have no place in the House of Commons ?

I think 3Jacks comment has a lot of validity---more understanding makes a better informed audience
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    In the past certain threads that dealt with rumours and such caused problems within the general forums, so the private section was created to allow such talk without impacting the general forum. It's used for discussing Clublink course conditions, setting up games between Clublink members and arranging to play with distant Clublink members when we travel to Toronto, Montreal or the Muskokas. Nothing of general interest.

As for comparing this with the House of Commons, this forum is not run with Public money
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

I'm not offended that you have a CL members only section, not in the slightest.

However, as someone who is considering / is on the verge of joining clublink, I was just thinking that it would be a cool resource to check out before I plunk down my dough. Making editorial decisions is always tough, and I sympathize.

Each of us are interested in some sections on the forum more than others, and if content in a certain area is not relevant to a user, that user likely won't frequent that section. Where it gets tricky is when you make that decision on behalf of your users. It can give the impression that there is content in there that shouldn't be seen by non-CL members. Elitist as it were.

My suggestion was only to allow non-clublink members to be able to view threads and posts in the clublink section but not to post, a function which I know from experience is easy to set up in forum engines such as Jive Clearspace, a function which but may not be as easy to enable in vBulletin, if it is available at all.

I just thought it would allow those of us who are considering a CL membership a bit of insight is all. I certainly can / will make my CL decision regardless of access, and may be bored out my mind once I gain access to the section as a member.
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    In the past certain threads that dealt with rumours and such caused problems within the general forums, so the private section was created to allow such talk without impacting the general forum. It's used for discussing Clublink course conditions, setting up games between Clublink members and arranging to play with distant Clublink members when we travel to Toronto, Montreal or the Muskokas. Nothing of general interest.

As for comparing this with the House of Commons, this forum is not run with Public money
    and to allow a CL member to give an opinion on his/her club without being roasted! It was brutal a few years back.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Sand Wedge keithf is on a distinguished road
    So if one is a Clublink member, how does one get into that forum?

Keith
    Blue Springs GC

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by keithf View Post
    So if one is a Clublink member, how does one get into that forum?

Keith
    Blue Springs GC
    Send a PM to Colby. He'll set you up.

I have been asked many times for information on Clublink and always given it freely. In fact, a lot of the Clublink members are always willing to give their opinion to anyone who asks the question.

The forum was created by request. It wasn't Dan thet implemented the rule. As mentioned in another post, it was really harsh everytime Stonebridge came up as a rumour, so that was one of the driving forces behind the request. A place to discuss topics that concerned Clublink, not just course purchase rumours as those hardly happen, but really more to do with the day to day activities that affect the Clublink members. I could have started a Clublink only forum somewhere else, but this helps keep the people here in Dan's forum.

Having private areas in forums is not an unknown practice. All of the larger boards that I belong to, Scubaboard, Myrtle Beach Golf Talk, all have private areas that have restricted access.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Jack View Post
    I'm not offended that you have a CL members only section, not in the slightest.

However, as someone who is considering / is on the verge of joining clublink, I was just thinking that it would be a cool resource to check out before I plunk down my dough. Making editorial decisions is always tough, and I sympathize.

Each of us are interested in some sections on the forum more than others, and if content in a certain area is not relevant to a user, that user likely won't frequent that section. Where it gets tricky is when you make that decision on behalf of your users. It can give the impression that there is content in there that shouldn't be seen by non-CL members. Elitist as it were.

My suggestion was only to allow non-clublink members to be able to view threads and posts in the clublink section but not to post, a function which I know from experience is easy to set up in forum engines such as Jive Clearspace, a function which but may not be as easy to enable in vBulletin, if it is available at all.

I just thought it would allow those of us who are considering a CL membership a bit of insight is all. I certainly can / will make my CL decision regardless of access, and may be bored out my mind once I gain access to the section as a member.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I have been asked many times for information on Clublink and always given it freely. In fact, a lot of the Clublink members are always willing to give their opinion to anyone who asks the question.

The forum was created by request. It wasn't Dan thet implemented the rule. As mentioned in another post, it was really harsh everytime Stonebridge came up as a rumour, so that was one of the driving forces behind the request. A place to discuss topics that concerned Clublink, not just course purchase rumours as those hardly happen, but really more to do with the day to day activities that affect the Clublink members. I could have started a Clublink only forum somewhere else, but this helps keep the people here in Dan's forum.

Having private areas in forums is not an unknown practice. All of the larger boards that I belong to, Scubaboard, Myrtle Beach Golf Talk, all have private areas that have restricted access.
    Speaking of Stonebridge, anyone heard anything new?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

You are the wind beneath my wings
    Colby

Indeed, I have had a couple of Clublink members already drop me a PM to let me know that they're here to answer any questions I may have - thanks guys!
    www.chapeaunoirgolf.com

Quote Originally Posted by big mac View Post
    This is just an observation Dan;

So I guess what your saying here is "comments from non members are not a valid as Club Link members" ?
    It's just a foum for members of a private club to discuss stuff.

Is that not the same thing as saying views from the "general public" have no place in the House of Commons ?
    This is not a conspiracy to stifle anyone. Good grief, there's grassy knoll out there too I hear.
    I think 3Jacks comment has a lot of validity---more understanding makes a better informed audience
    Sorry but I can't help but think that it's more of a case of "Inquiring minds want to know."

If CL had a members only forum on thier site would you ask them to open it to the public because it may help inform prospective members? I doubt they would.

BTW if another group of golfers or golf businessmen with a large member base wanted a private forum here that would be OK too. I run a golf forum for golfers to gather and discuss.

This is not a plot against you but a favour to my forum users who happen to be members of ClubLink. Perhaps you have not noticed, but ClubLink doen 't even advertise here. This is purely a goodwill gesture for the golfers who asked me to help.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Speaking of Stonebridge, anyone heard anything new?
    I don't know if it's still there, but a couple of weeks ago they had a sign in the proshop saying that they are not Clublink, have no plans to be Clublink, etc.

It was pretty funny.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

can me indio and hacker have our own private forum?
    willy

No.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Well said, and succinct too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    No.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    I don't know if it's still there, but a couple of weeks ago they had a sign in the proshop saying that they are not Clublink, have no plans to be Clublink, etc.

It was pretty funny.
    Ah, reverse psychology! Very smart!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Well said, and succinct too.
    could have changed the . to a !
    willy

how much is stonebridge worth? 6mil?
    willy

bbad
    oh god....here we go

And as a CL member I can concur what Dan has previously state, it really is quite "boring" in the threads...we mostly talk about course conditions, arranging games and stupid other things.

If anybody else wants CL info, I'm more than happy (sounds like a serious mental condition - George Carlin) to offer help.

JB

Quote Originally Posted by bbad View Post
    And as a CL member I can concur what Dan has previously state, it really is quite "boring" in the threads...we mostly talk about course conditions, arranging games and stupid other things.

If anybody else wants CL info, I'm more than happy (sounds like a serious mental condition - George Carlin) to offer help.

JB
    I tell you what, talk Silly Willy into becoming a CL member and then he will be posting in that section for you..... It won't be boring anymore....

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    I tell you what, talk Silly Willy into becoming a CL member and then he will be posting in that section for you..... It won't be boring anymore....
    no!

Quote Originally Posted by LBH View Post
    no!
    Money talks big guy

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    all I have to say is anyone in there 20's seriously needs to consider clublink, $1600 all in with no bartab is a steal, even chepaer under 25 and can walk away anytime.

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    Can we close this thread now
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Thread Information