CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    2 Iron Golfy Kid is on a distinguished road Golfy Kid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    depends if they yelled FORE
    I wonder how far can someone hear others screaming FORE ?
    220 - 250 yards with no wind ? (I'm just guessing)
    If your golf swings feels natural you're doing it wrong

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Ya, it all depends on the situation. If they give a good "FORE" and then lay down the defferential wave and head bow when you you turn to look at them, no problem. We've all done it before, or come close.

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Ya, it all depends on the situation. If they give a good "FORE" and then lay down the defferential wave and head bow when you you turn to look at them, no problem. We've all done it before, or come close.
    not the way you hit little girl
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    I did the same thing a few weeks ago, on that hole, with the wind behind me put it just to the left of the green, pin high (pin was on far right of the green at the front). Also ended up with my personal bst, shooting an 84, with 9 pars on the day (including that hole)

my average drive is about 220-230, a really good drive is about 250, so for me to hit it 270, even with the wind, is a stretch. If you know you can regularly hit 270 (even 2-3 times per round) then you should wait.

and if they came up short, I might look back and see how far they hit, but I wouldnt get upset. My rule of thumb is never get upset the first time it happens, it could be an honest mistake, or that once a round shot that they connected on. 2nd time I may ask them to wait a bit longer before they hit.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    not the way you hit little girl
    sounds like a challenge. How bout a rematch, Mr. 76?

9 Iron Chanter is on a distinguished road
    Bingo Seems it would solve both situations mentioned here. The "accidental" driving the green on a Par 4, and the Groans from trailing foursomes waiting for the group in front to tee off once the green is clear.

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    Pretty easy solution. The course just needs to place a sign at the tee blocks telling people to what until the green is clear before teeing off. Might not matter for the majority of golfers but would eliminate those types of situations.

3 Iron guitarman is on a distinguished road guitarman's Avatar
    I was standing on the green the other day. The hole was a par 4 296 yards. While putting a ball comes in from the tee deck lands about a yard in front of the green and rolls past us to the back of the green. It didn't really bother me that much. While we were at the next tee deck which was close to the green the came up and apologized saying he's never hit it that far. What are you gonna do?
    Terry

2 Iron Golfy Kid is on a distinguished road Golfy Kid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarman View Post
    I was standing on the green the other day. The hole was a par 4 296 yards. While putting a ball comes in from the tee deck lands about a yard in front of the green and rolls past us to the back of the green. It didn't really bother me that much. While we were at the next tee deck which was close to the green the came up and apologized saying he's never hit it that far. What are you gonna do?
    Nothing!
    However....
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    I would not be amused. A golf ball can seriously injure or kill someone. If you think that your ball has a chance of landing near someone playing ahead of you, you shouldn't be hitting.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar

Stonebridge

It wouldn't bother me if a ball 'rolled' onto the green while I was on. Sometimes when you hit the back of a hill you can get a bounce and roll that gives a huge distance. I rolled onto the green from the drop zone on the fourth hole at Oaks which is well over 230 and apologized profusely to the guys who were exiting the green. They responded with a 'nice shot'.

There's a short par four at Stonebridge that I've hit the left bunker twice which I would never hit until the group ahead is gone.

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    I have been in both situations.... driving the ball on to the green and while on the green getting a ball (even close to the green)... no cool at all so now I wait until green is clear.

It only shows your ignorance.

3 Iron guitarman is on a distinguished road guitarman's Avatar
    So should a golfer wait even if the remote chance is one in a thousand you'll reach the group in front? The most embarrassing thing to happen is waiting till the group ahead is far enough you can't possibly reach them. Then in front of the Marshall who's been egging you on to hit for 5 minutes and smirking partners in your group, you duff it out 30 yards. If you'd listened and hit when told you'd hit the drive of your life and ** off the group in front.
    Terry

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    ANY chance is a chance you could do it.

I've been hit on the side of the head with a golf ball and it hurts like .

No one should go through the pain of being hit no matter how slim the odds are. If you're being pushed, then just hit an iron to your confort zone yardage and make birdie that way.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    agree, but on a 300 yard par 4, I know for a fact that if I hit it to the green, it will be rolling on. I KNOW that I can't hit it 300 in the air, even with the wind. and it will be one of my very rare drives that rolls up there, so I'll hit. While a bit distracting to hear a thud 20 yards behind you, there is really no danger in a rolling ball

I don't mind a ball rolling up its when they start landing where I am that I would be concerned.

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    A rolling ball doesn't hurt ... BUT I have seen 2 people seriously injured by golf balls

Knowing the yardage and knowing how far you can hit the ball are very important. I won't hit from the fairway unless I'm more than 270 yds out, from the tee 300yds

One of my buddies made a mistake on #10 at Mountain Creek the first time we played there. Airmailed the green while the group in front were chipping from the left side of the green (we thought they were at the next tee). Sorry isn't quite enough but they were understanding.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    My thoughts exactly. I don't USUALLY hit a drive that long but every once in a while, I do launch one right on line and could end up bouncing up to or near the green (in this sort of scenario). I can't remember how it ended for me when I played this hole, but I do believe I waited... and worried that a marshall would come around to angrily ask me why I hadn't hit yet.

BullDog

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    The #16 at Anderson Links is the hole I hate the most in the area because your damned if you do and damned if you don't. I personally the stars have to align for me to drive that green.... but I have done it once.... so, when I get there, I now always wait and inevitably a group will come up behind and do the old... WTF is he waiting for... he hasn't hit a 270 yard drive all day (which is true)... then the guys leave the green, I tee it up and hit my usual 230 to 240 yard drive and you can just hear the guys that are waiting groaning... then we get to the green and they zing one onto the green... Now if I get there and there is someone on the green I will take out a 5 or 7 wood for my tee shot just to avoid the situation.

Anderson Links needs to do something about that hole to avoid the inevitable fight that is going to happen some day.

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfy Kid View Post
    Nothing!
    However....
    "a ball can kill" or something to that effect.

Sure it can - but how fast can any ball hit by a non-pro be going by the time it's flown 290+ yards and is now rolling on grass (thus creating friction, causing it to stop)? I've been hit in the chest by a ball once - and it was on the fly from less than 200 yards (and it was a wayward shot)... but to be annoyed at the scenario described in the post to which you responded with "a ball can kill"? Isn't that a bit of overkill, so to speak?

BullDog

Sand Wedge SnakeEye is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    No question about it

YES

but on the other hand, when he gets there and cant find his ball and had to go back and hit agian because of a "lost ball", he MAY get the point.
    I'd be more jealous than angry. Show me how you do that & I'll give you back your ball !

Thread Information