+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    2 Iron Golfy Kid is on a distinguished road Golfy Kid's Avatar

Would it bother you ?

PAR 4: 272 yards from the white (Anderson Links, hole# 16)

If the group behind you, lands their balls 3-6 feet outside the green while you're putting, would it bother you ?
    Last edited by Golfy Kid; 05-13-2009 at 12:59 PM. Reason: grammar correction

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    yep.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Driver dreaded_snowman is on a distinguished road dreaded_snowman's Avatar
    Yep as well. No excuse for hitting an approach while folks are on the green.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    yes.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Approach - yes (likely jerks - or me)
    Tee shot - yes, but
    - short hitter could have been a fluke
    - long hitter would be a jerk
    Back at it.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Yes, it would bother me.

Excusable if the person honestly didn't think they could come close to the green though.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Why any course would build a 272 yard Par 4 is beyond me. That's the perfect range to get into these types of situations. Long enough that many people don't think they can reach it, short enough that a decent gust from behind puts it right back into play.

Whitetail has a few of those short holes, which are great for scrambles, but rather dangerous if people aren't paying attention.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Wouldn't bother me unless it hit me, or banged the green while I was putting. Probably because I am focused like a laser beam whilst playing golf. laser beam.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    Yes, it would bother me.
    Excusable if the person honestly didn't think they could come close to the green though.
    Can it be excusable if they hit from the blue tees ?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    It's not a question of which tees they hit from, but knowing how far they hit it.

I know that while I normally hit it about 270-280 that if I really crank one that I can get into the 300 range. So, if the blue tees are 300 or less, I'll wait unless I'm hitting an iron.

Of course, Sak's laser might knock my ball out of the sky like some kind of missile defense for the golf course, but that's a different story.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    No question about it

YES

but on the other hand, when he gets there and cant find his ball and had to go back and hit agian because of a "lost ball", he MAY get the point.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfy kid View Post
    can it be excusable if they hit from the blue tees ?
    no
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    Depends mostly on how they have been hitting the ball on the past 15 holes and to determine whether there intention was to send a message or maybe they are golfers that just dont have a concept of how far they hit the ball.

OVerall it wouldnt bother me because I am focused on my putt.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    I would not be amused. A golf ball can seriously injure or kill someone. If you think that your ball has a chance of landing near someone playing ahead of you, you shouldn't be hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    It's not a question of which tees they hit from, but knowing how far they hit it...
    Good point

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    I would not be amused. A golf ball can seriously injure or kill someone. If you think that your ball has a chance of landing near someone playing ahead of you, you shouldn't be hitting.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    I consider short par 4's like that to be played like par 3's and you should wait for the other players to clear the green if there is a 1% chance of you even hitting the green. If you have an iron in hand, go ahead.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

was the shot 3-6 feet short of the green or beside the green?
    Andrew

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Yes,it would bother me.If you ever play Buckingham we have a 300 yard high elevation finishing hole wich anybody who drives it 275 yards can reach depending on the wind.It happens a lot.Why people cant wait untill we get off the green to prove they can reach it is beyond me.My wife was putting out yesterday and not once but two times they yelled Fore and hit a couple of yards out.Not sure if they were members but freekin annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    was the shot 3-6 feet short of the green or beside the green?
    It was short of the green.

1 Iron dmr is on a distinguished road dmr's Avatar
    Yes - it would bother me but nothing a sincere apology can't fix.

The last time I played there was 2 years ago so things may be different now but at the time I thought this was a totally dumb hole. There is almost no risk to hitting driver. There's a bunker on the right front of the green and some water on the right. In my opinion they need to let the grass grow very long (on the left side at least) to make people think twice about using a driver.

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    I guess it would depend what happened next. If they genuinely didn't think thay would get close to the green and just hit a one in a million shot and were apologetic about it I would be OK.

If they were trying to drive the green while I was on it I would have some choice words for them rarely heard this side of the Atlantic!

Hybrid Gary Madore is on a distinguished road
    I've been that guy once: I am a casual player and, at that time, never managed to hit farther than 200 (excepting those 350++ yard wicked slices that came back around like a boomerang....)

There was that ONE time, though, that I drove a 300 yard green - a once-in-a-lifetime shot for me.

The occupants of the green were madder than heck and resorted to all manner of profanity while I was busy trying to apologize and explain that I didn't expect to make it even 2/3 the way there.

Did I screw up? Yes, definitely. Did I deserve to be publicly berated by the (ahem) gentleman on the green? No, I don't think I did. Nobody got hurt, and it was an "honest mistake."

So, to answer the original question, I would like to think that I would be more understanding than most, because I've had the shoe on the other foot, so to speak.

Cheers!

Gary

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    The #16 at Anderson Links is the hole I hate the most in the area because your damned if you do and damned if you don't. I personally the stars have to align for me to drive that green.... but I have done it once.... so, when I get there, I now always wait and inevitably a group will come up behind and do the old... WTF is he waiting for... he hasn't hit a 270 yard drive all day (which is true)... then the guys leave the green, I tee it up and hit my usual 230 to 240 yard drive and you can just hear the guys that are waiting groaning... then we get to the green and they zing one onto the green... Now if I get there and there is someone on the green I will take out a 5 or 7 wood for my tee shot just to avoid the situation.

Anderson Links needs to do something about that hole to avoid the inevitable fight that is going to happen some day.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Pretty easy solution. The course just needs to place a sign at the tee blocks telling people to what until the green is clear before teeing off. Might not matter for the majority of golfers but would eliminate those types of situations.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber View Post
    Pretty easy solution. The course just needs to place a sign at the tee blocks telling people to what until the green is clear before teeing off. Might not matter for the majority of golfers but would eliminate those types of situations.
    I think that is a good idea. Going for a par 4 green can be fun, but it is pretty irritating when everyone is wondering why you are waiting then you mess up trying to prove a point "I have done it before, honest" lol

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Yes---now imagine your the one that hit that drive and actually hit someone If your not sure---wait!!!
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar
    I have been in the akward situation of being the guy who hit into a group on the green so it would only bother me if I knew the circumstances. My first time playing the Marshes I rolled one onto the front edge of the green on one of the shorter par 4's(cant remember the hole#). The group ahead was just finishing up on the green and noticed my ball roll up...probably still at least 15 yards short of where they were. One of the guys then kicked my ball off the green into the tall fescue beside the green(found my ball luckily). Now...my side of the story=1.did NOT think I had a chance in hell of getting it to the green 2. rest of my group had hit and I figured why wait because I have a 1/1000 chance of rolling it onto the green so why not just hit. I figure if a ball rolls up 15 yards behind me and I have not had any previous problems with that group hitting into me then I would ask questions before hoofing someone's ball off the green...completely uncalled for IMO. A ball rolling 5 km/hr on the ground won't hurt very many people...I understand it's the idea of hitting into someone that p*ssed them off but come one...were they in danger?? We ran into them at the next tee just as they were getting in their carts after teeing off...nothing was said as I am not very confrontational BUT my buddy on the other hand was fuming and wanted to let them have it but cooler heads prevailed.
    Last edited by northern33; 05-13-2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: spelling

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    This can be a touchy subject. Yes, if the ball rolled to the edge of the green --there's no need to kick it way---that's just immature. The problem comes sometimes when the course is crowded and you feel that maybe your falling behind. How many times do you "accidendly" get that drive that flys 40 to 50 yds farther. It only takes one
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

I say if you don't reach the green there is no harm, no foul, no need to apologize or be bothered. Just like on a par 5 when you are outside the reach it in 2 range, but you hit 3 wood anyways and come up just short while there are players on the green.

I drove the green on a 327 yard par 4 7th at the Coldwater golf club in Phoenix last year, only because the other players in my group had teed off & were well short of the green, & I never looked at the yardage of the hole, it was uphill, and looked like it was 400 yards away. I jumped in the cart, zipped up and apologized like crazy, explaining my mistake, and they were all very nice about it saying: "great drive, don't worry about it" & I bought them a pitcher after the round (probably because the pitchers were only $5). If I had come up 5 yards short of the green, I would have still been surprised, but I would not have felt the need to even apologize.
    Andrew

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    depends if they yelled FORE
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Thread Information