100 Holes of Hope

View Poll Results: The rules allow a ball to be dropped from rough to fairway. Is this fair?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

41 64.06%
  • No

23 35.94%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fair or Unfair

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Fair or Unfair

Based on the all the discussion from the other thread, let's discover what the 'silent majority' think about the issue.

Driver dreaded_snowman is on a distinguished road dreaded_snowman's Avatar
    Having read the other thread, here's my opinion:
    1. The rules of golf are, in general, good and fair for everyone
    2. In that specific case (as noted by others), the key issue is that an obstruction was placed unreasonably close to the fairway. This, IMO, is the cause of all the fuss.
    3. Based on the rules, and the obstruction placement, I think that placing the ball on the fairway was completely fair. It was within the rules, and that is the definition of fair. If the other competitor had landed there, he would have done the same thing.

Final observation: making light, short comments in forums is a touchy thing, because tone is lost and people can easily mistake you for an extremist.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Rules are rules and they apply to everyone. And as long as they apply to everyone equally, they are fair.
    Having said that, getting a free drop from the rough to fairway based on the existance of an obstruction would bring in an element of luck into the equation. And for that I would prefer to see the rule changed so that ball must be dropped in the same cut of grass.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    can a ball be dropped from the rough onto the green?? if not, why??? would the same reason not apply to the rough/fairway discussion?
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    can a ball be dropped from the rough onto the green?? if not, why??? would the same reason not apply to the rough/fairway discussion?
    The putting greens have separate rules altogether. If a ball that is to be dropped on any area through the green comes to rest on a putting green, it must be re-dropped. There's always 4 separate and distinct areas within the boundaries of a golf course, and each one has its own set of rules; Teeing Ground, Putting Green, Hazards, and Through the Green (everywhere else).
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    The putting greens have separate rules altogether. If a ball that is to be dropped on any area through the green comes to rest on a putting green, it must be re-dropped. There's always 4 separate and distinct areas within the boundaries of a golf course, and each one has its own set of rules; Teeing Ground, Putting Green, Hazards, and Through the Green (everywhere else).
    Interestingly, in the case of casual water on a putting green, the ball may be PLACED through the green, if need be, to get relief.

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I think that the question that first brought up in the other thread evolved into "is it right or wrong?" Everyone plays by the same rule, so yes it's fair.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Having said that, I'll vote if a new poll shows up that provides a true picture. This one should obviously result in 100% for fair, as I'm sure BC knows.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Yes, using the word 'logical' would likely provide a much more accurate result.

The 59:41 result this far is not surprising as I actually predicted that it would be closer to 50:50. The thinking being that it is my guess that the majority of golfers and the majority here, are more recreational players, than tournament players.

I would predict that if OVGA/Golf Quebec tournament players were surveyed, that the results would approach 100% in favour of "fair."

I'm surprised myself, but I think that just shows that more folks thought the question more along the lines of right/wrong, logical/illogical, as Jon and I have been stating.

Par Kiwi battler is on a distinguished road
    My ball's on the path , nearest point of relief is in a blackberries ......Im stuck taking an unplayable , or playing off the path ....fair ?

Good with the bad

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    I'm surprised myself, but I think that just shows that more folks thought the question more along the lines of right/wrong, logical/illogical, as Jon and I have been stating.
    agreed
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

1 Iron PapaPat is on a distinguished road
    Ken Chapman’s Rules of the Green is generally regarded as the definitive work on the history of the Rules of Golf. In it, he points out that one of the major challenges of the 1951 world rules rationalization committee meetings, was the philosophical difference between the Europeans (mainly Scots), and the North Americans (mainly Americans). The American’s lobbied for fairness whereas the European’s felt that the game should be a microcosm of life full of unanticipated challenges and serendipity. It is my understanding that Nicklaus has lobbied for his whole career for relief from divots. The R&A will have none of it.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi battler View Post
    My ball's on the path , nearest point of relief is in a blackberries ......Im stuck taking an unplayable , or playing off the path ....fair ?

Good with the bad
    Everyone knows you should leave your blackberry in the car when you golf.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter View Post
    Everyone knows you should leave your blackberry in the car when you golf.
    If you don't leave it in the car at least put the damn thing on VIBRATE!

My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thread Information