100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oops!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Red face Oops!

File this one under "Taking My Own Medicine".

No excuses, I just missed it.

Someone brought up Rule 25-2 Embedded Ball in another thread, and I immediately realized that I had violated this rule at the NCGT event this past Saturday.

I took relief from an embedded lie, but it was not in a "closely mown area". It was in fact in the rough. I should have either played it as it lay, or declared it unplayable and taken relief (and a penalty stroke) under Rule 28. I ended up carding a bogey 5 instead of a double-bogey 6, and subsequently I've DQ'd myself for violating Rule 6-6d.

I guess I won't do that again.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Ouch.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    Ouch.
    It was on the 16th hole. After being out 4-1/2 hours already, with the last 2 in a steady downpour, I kinda "no-brained" it.

If I'd caught my mistake before turning in the card we wouldn't be talking about this. Kiss 40 Stableford points goodbye.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Yah, but you are setting a fine example. Just think how much mileage this story will get as you dish out rulings to those who don't want to suck it up and take thier lumps!

Lobbie: "What are you complaining about? One time... blah blah blah .. so I called myself on it. That resulted in a DQ."

Rookie: "I'll take the 2 strokes sir. Thank you sir."

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that, Rich. You were having a pretty solid day, too. I don't recall the situation, but do remember that tough chip you had on that hole...
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
    Sorry to hear that, Rich. You were having a pretty solid day, too. I don't recall the situation, but do remember that tough chip you had on that hole...
    Yeah, I hit my tee shot down the left side near the tree line. I can't remember who was up there with me, but I definitely remember reaching for the ball under some long-ish grass and commenting that it was half-buried in the turf.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Weren't the results already posted, didn't Noback post them on the NCGT yesterday? I thought that once a tournament is over and the results are 'certified' for lack of a better term, the results stand as posted. Could Sean O'Hair all of a sudden realize he didn't replace a ball that moved in the rough at Quail Hollow two weeks ago, call up the committee and have his win overturned?

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Weren't the results already posted, didn't Noback post them on the NCGT yesterday? I thought that once a tournament is over and the results are 'certified' for lack of a better term, the results stand as posted. Could Sean O'Hair all of a sudden realize he didn't replace a ball that moved in the rough at Quail Hollow two weeks ago, call up the committee and have his win overturned?

I was thinking the same thing.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Lobwedge under all RCGA, OVGA events the embedded ball rule is "through the green" so you should not be DQ'd. This is written in as a local rule and any event that I officiate at that is the way it is. The R & A won't allow the change it in the rules but the USGA and RCGA have basically adopted as a standard local rule.

Yikes! I missed that completely!

Stroke Play
    In stroke play, a penalty must not be rescinded, modified or imposed after the competition has closed. A competition is closed when the result has been officially announced or, in stroke-play qualifying followed by match play, when the player has teed off in his first match.
    Exceptions: A penalty of disqualification must be imposed after the competition has closed if a competitor:
    (i) was in breach of Rule 1-3 (Agreement to Waive Rules); or
    (ii) returned a score card on which he had recorded a handicap that, before the competition closed, he knew was higher than that to which he was entitled, and this affected the number of strokes received (Rule 6-2b); or
    (iii) returned a score for any hole lower than actually taken (Rule 6-6d) for any reason other than failure to include a penalty that, before the competition closed, he did not know he had incurred; or
    (iv) knew, before the competition closed, that he had been in breach of any other Rule for which the penalty is disqualification.

In match play:
    Once the result of the match has been officially announced, a later claim may not be considered by the Committee, unless it is satisfied that the opponent knew he was giving wrong information.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    File this one under "Taking My Own Medicine".

No excuses, I just missed it.

Someone brought up Rule 25-2 Embedded Ball in another thread, and I immediately realized that I had violated this rule at the NCGT event this past Saturday.

I took relief from an embedded lie, but it was not in a "closely mown area". It was in fact in the rough. I should have either played it as it lay, or declared it unplayable and taken relief (and a penalty stroke) under Rule 28. I ended up carding a bogey 5 instead of a double-bogey 6, and subsequently I've DQ'd myself for violating Rule 6-6d.

I guess I won't do that again.

Whats even worse is you were 'preaching' the rule to all of us as we tee'd off! 'Remember guys, you can only touch the ball in your own FAIRWAY and not the rough or another fairway' ....

So not only do we not listen to you, you don't even listen to yourself!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Unplugging an embeded ball is not the same as stick handling to improve your lie.

Unplugging an embeded ball is not the same as stick handling to improve your lie.
    He was talking about lift clean and place

Still, not the same thing as embedded ball.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Lobwedge under all RCGA, OVGA events the embedded ball rule is "through the green" so you should not be DQ'd. This is written in as a local rule and any event that I officiate at that is the way it is. The R & A won't allow the change it in the rules but the USGA and RCGA have basically adopted as a standard local rule.
    We discussed that before the round and decided to go with LCP in "your own fairway only".

Yikes! I missed that completely!
    Yep, me too! I had to re-read Exception (iii) about 5 times before it sunk in. I still feel really bad though.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Whats even worse is you were 'preaching' the rule to all of us as we tee'd off! 'Remember guys, you can only touch the ball in your own FAIRWAY and not the rough or another fairway' ....

So not only do we not listen to you, you don't even listen to yourself!
    That was lift/clean/place Bob, not embedded ball.

I will learn to stay out of the rules section some day

Quote Originally Posted by spackler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing.
    You're right. I guess I live to fight another day.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    Lobwedge if it was an embedded ball through the green you could have dropped as close to where it was embedded which is different than LCP then play it from the unembedded lie.

Quote Originally Posted by gbower View Post
    Lobwedge if it was an embedded ball through the green you could have dropped as close to where it was embedded which is different than LCP then play it from the unembedded lie.
    Now I see what you're saying, thanks.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Thanks for the extra work there Rich!!
    LOL
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    LOL
    Geez Louise, that's the last time I try to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    Geez Louise, that's the last time I try to be honest.
    LOL
    Good thing we now know!

Lobbie, you are a true gentleman. Player of a gentleman's game.

I'd say "Congratulations" for your display of sportsmanship, but Bobby Jones, who once called a penalty on himself, said when congratulated for doing so "that would be like congratulating me for not robbing a bank". He was also a true gentleman.

There you go. You have been favorably compared to one of the greats of this game, for one of his finest attributes.

Lobbie, you are a true gentleman. Player of a gentleman's game.

I'd say "Congratulations" for your display of sportsmanship, but Bobby Jones, who once called a penalty on himself, said when congratulated for doing so "that would be like congratulating me for not robbing a bank". He was also a true gentleman.

There you go. You have been favorably compared to one of the greats of this game, for one of his finest attributes.
    Thanks for that Dan. I still feel bad that I didn't catch it earlier. Live and learn...

LOL
    Hey Steve, does that mean those points I lost last year for the DQ at Outaouais can be reinstated???

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    You might want to check to see if the course had a Local Rule in effect allowing relief for an embedded ball through the green (although I'm assuming this was done prior to the event):

NCGT Local Rules

Play is governed by the 2008 Rules of Golf of the Royal Canadian Golf Association (RCGA), where applicable, by the following NCGT Local Rules, and by the local rules of the course being played.

Hey Steve, does that mean those points I lost last year for the DQ at Outaouais can be reinstated???

Done!
    now intead of 24th place you are now in 22nd for last year!!
    still out of the $$ but as long as you feel better mister, we're always willing to help

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    You might want to check to see if the course had a Local Rule in effect allowing relief for an embedded ball through the green (although I'm assuming this was done prior to the event):

NCGT Local Rules

Play is governed by the 2008 Rules of Golf of the Royal Canadian Golf Association (RCGA), where applicable, by the following NCGT Local Rules, and by the local rules of the course being played.

They did have some roped off areas on 10 and 11 which we got releif from
    but the day's "local rules" were only LC&P in your own fairway NOT the rough

hindsight we would could and maybe should have played LC&P thoughout the green

Done!
    now intead of 24th place you are now in 22nd for last year!!
    still out of the $$ but as long as you feel better mister, we're always willing to help

Did Lisa and Maureen still beat me?

Did Lisa and Maureen still beat me?
    I heard you like being beat by women

Thread Information