Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
The unfortunate reality is that the majority of golfers do not know how to take proper relief from an immovable obstruction RIGHT NOW - and you want to make this rule even MORE complicated???

What if the obstruction is in the fairway but my NPR is in the rough?
What if the obstruction is in the rough but there is no point of relief in the rough?
What if I drop in the rough and the ball rolls to the fairway?
What if I drop in the fairway and the ball rolls to the rough?
What if my ball is on a cart path running between rough and fairway?
etc., etc., etc.
I tell you one thing...I'm definitely never entering into competitive golf. I don't think I have three years to spend to learn the rules. (actually, I probably do, but for the sake of this argument, let's say I don't ) The sheer number of rules, exceptions decisions etc etc etc in golf is absolutely mind boggling. I really don't think making another exception is really going to make things that much more complicated in the long run. If you've got a mule carrying around 500 pounds of gear, is it going to make that much of a difference if you throw on another pound or two? (ignoring, of course, the slim possibility that it could be the straw that breaks said mule's back). The rules are already so inpenetrable to most that I don't think it makes much of a difference.