CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar

Dreaded Swing Modification

Well the dreaded has occured and I am finally, after 15 years of working with what I have learned to know, am going through a significant change. It may not seem like a significant change, but a slight modification to my existing swing is necessary to play better golf. I have been stuck between 6-8 for the past few years and the only way to get to a lower hcp golfer is to make this change. Overall the goal is to hit more greens and tighten my target golf.

Now the question or request is overall comments on this transition. My pro stated it would take roughly - very roughly about 1400 balls (8 buckets, we use the extremely large buckets) to effectively make this change; keeping in mind every swing is made with a purpose.

My question is has anyone had to commit to such a change, would you suggest not playing golf for a couple of weeks until the new change is put to memory, or could you provide some reassurance that i am making the proper choice.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Personally, I think the golf season is too short to NOT play for two weeks. I'm going through a bit of a swing change myself and I think I've picked it up pretty quickly. I played a round of golf a couple of days after the lesson.

I think there are a couple of ways you could look at it as far as playing while still ingraining the change:

- Completely forget about swing thoughts once you tee it up on the course. Play with whatever swing you bring that day. (Generally speaking, I think this is pretty good advice regardless of possible swing changes).

- Treat your round as though you are on the practice tee. Focus on your swing change on every thought.

For both options above though, forget about trying to score well. Or, at least, don't worry if you don't score well.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by beefstuf View Post
    Now the question or request is overall comments on this transition. My pro stated it would take roughly - very roughly about 1400 balls (8 buckets, we use the extremely large buckets) to effectively make this change; keeping in mind every swing is made with a purpose.

My question is has anyone had to commit to such a change, would you suggest not playing golf for a couple of weeks until the new change is put to memory, or could you provide some reassurance that i am making the proper choice.
    If you want to get better, then change you must. I hope the pro is good at teaching you the mechanical change that you need because he does not understand how the mind works. To suggest that it will take 8 buckets is ludicrous. "It takes as long as it takes." To replace a motion that is currently a subconscious habit with another motion and have it become a habit, takes a lot more time and practice than you think.

To effect a change you need to alternate with multiple CORRECT repetitions of the new motion in slow motion and static positions, and hitting a few balls.(4 on mechanics, 4 balls NOT thinking of mechanics, and then repeat) In time, a lot more than 1400 balls, the new motion will filter in and become part of you. Having made significant changes to my swing over the years, they have taken months/years to "perfect," not buckets.

Don't deprive yourself of the joy of playing golf in hopes that the new swing will be part of you in two weeks. Just play the game and have fun. Our season is too short to take time off, unless you must.

Thanks guys for the insight. The pro is Paul Sharett, so he is a reputable golf pro. I think he was stating as a static example it may take that number of balls; but he did say the key was to execute each practice shot with discipline. His steps were to practice this swing path until you feel like you are on the right path and the only way to know that is to look at the path of the ball, then execute target golf at the range with numerous clubs and differing ball flights. His goal with me is to be able to understand what the clubface is doing at impact and truly understand why it has contacted the ball the way it has.

You are absolutely right that 1400 balls is ludicrous, but I think it was an attempt to reassure me. He did say to me that a true sign of discipline must be practiced in order to a)become a better ball striker and b)to become a better golfer.

The challenge I will face is to not revert back to my old habits. When the new swing will be second nature is only a matter of practice, and committment. Or so I hope.

Cheers

3 Wood lastplace is on a distinguished road
    Paul is one of the best teaching pros in the area. Take a look at the quality of the juniors that have come through his program. I would trust him implicitly. Good luck with the change. Mine took me the better part of a year to finally feel good on the tee or over a ball, but i went from a fade to a draw and love it. Lots of range work!!!!!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by beefstuf View Post
    Thanks guys for the insight. The pro is Paul Sharett, so he is a reputable golf pro. I think he was stating as a static example it may take that number of balls; but he did say the key was to execute each practice shot with discipline. His steps were to practice this swing path until you feel like you are on the right path and the only way to know that is to look at the path of the ball, then execute target golf at the range with numerous clubs and differing ball flights. His goal with me is to be able to understand what the clubface is doing at impact and truly understand why it has contacted the ball the way it has.

You are absolutely right that 1400 balls is ludicrous, but I think it was an attempt to reassure me. He did say to me that a true sign of discipline must be practiced in order to a)become a better ball striker and b)to become a better golfer.

The challenge I will face is to not revert back to my old habits. When the new swing will be second nature is only a matter of practice, and committment. Or so I hope.
    In what you wrote here, I sense a Paul Bertholy influence, and if so, this is good. Next time you see PS, ask him if there is.

Here is the truth, for your perusal:

"There is an extensive background in teaching physical activities so the answer about the easiest way to for someone to learn any physical skill correctly is no secret:

1) You need to know the positions you need to achieve
    2) You need to build the capacity to achieve those positions with ease
    3) You need to build the endurance to achieve them repeatedly
    4) You need to know the correct sequence of the motions for the skill
    5) You need to learn the correct sequence of the motions
    5) You need to train so that the correct sequence becomes your 'habit'

There is no shortcut to mastery and by implication any particular level of skill. Many studies of different physical (and non physical) skills show that mastery takes apx 10,000 hours performing the skill. For those with less talent it may take more.

There was a master class held by Maxim Vengerov (violinist) and one of the pupils was an 11 year old who, despite her age, clearly deserved to be there as much as any of the older pupils. When asked how much she practiced she said that she'd parcticed 6 hours a day since she started at age 5. In fact she took up violin instead of piano because her older sister played piano and there was no way she would've been able to practice enough because they only had one. Let's see - 6 hours/day X 300 days/year (assume some days not practicing) X 6 years = 10,800."
    Last edited by BC MIST; 05-10-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Wow that is a very interesting philosophy, thank you for posting it. I decided to play 27 holes today and it was nearly impossible to not think about the changes I was asked to make. I did approach the round as merely practice, hitting 5 balls to the flag on my approach.

The challenge I can see that I will face is to understand what the correct move is and how to replicate it once I have figured this out. It is amazing how one small piece of advice can really confuse and destroys ones confidence on the golf course.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    I'm going for my second lesson tomorrow night.... the first lesson has really really screw up my game.... I went from a fade (occasional slice) to a damned hook or dead pull.... getting sick of playing 3 off the tee in match play I don't think I could even beat Hacker right now
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    If I could only do on the golf course what Marc has me doing on the range
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Thread Information