CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar

How to play 9 holes in more than 2 hours as a single golfer

So after the thunderstorm passed through Kanata around 2:30-3:00pm today, I decided to head out to Kanata Lakes after work at 4:30pm to play a round of golf. Told myself that as a single, I should be able to get 18 in. funk-like and myself did it on Wednesday as a twosome. So I thought....

The starter tells me to head out on the back nine first as the front nine is busy. Nobody can be seen playing #9 so I should be fine. Quickly (#11 tee box), I catch up to a foursome. You can see what happens next right? Nothing!!! They won't let me play through at all. So I waited the entire 9 holes behind them, almost catching up to them on the tee box of every hole, waiting on every shot. I had a good game going so I didn't want to let this frustrate me. Ended playing 1-over so it didn't affect my game.

And people who know Kanata Lakes, it's not like you can skip holes or jump onto the front nine to finish your round... Otherwise, would have done it if it would have been a good option.

So I didn't make a scene on the course, didn't convey my frustration to the cart girl or ask her to call the proshop. Never saw a marshall on the course though (Friday evenings - what do you expect?).

After I finish 9 holes at 7:20pm (teed off around 5:00pm), I walk up to one of the guys in the parking lot and ask him politely (yes politely) why they never offered to let me play through? His answer was that they thought a group who catch up to me and I would join them!!! What? So I asked him if he knew what etiquette meant and he replied "yes, foursomes!". He told me that many times he was stuck behind foursomes and they wouldn't let him through! Unbelievable.

Needless to say, I was boiling inside. But I remained calm and told him I had nothing against their pace of play but was angry at them for not letting me play through. He answered my comment by getting in his car, closing his door and driving away. Classy!!!

All I was trying to do was play 18... I know I would have had plenty of time if they would have let me play through. Oh well, it'll have to be for another day I guess.

That's my rant!!!

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    question being, were there groups in front of that group, or was it just them and then open holes in front of them?

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Isn't this a private course? If so and quite apart from the foursome's boorish behaviour, I'm amazed that anyone would treat a fellow club member this way. Based on your narrative, the guy you were speaking comes across as a selfish, self-centered twit - the kind of guy you don't want on any course. You demonstrated remarkable restraint. Kudos to you.

Quote Originally Posted by LBH View Post
    So after the thunderstorm passed through Kanata around 2:30-3:00pm today, I decided to head out to Kanata Lakes after work at 4:30pm to play a round of golf. Told myself that as a single, I should be able to get 18 in. funk-like and myself did it on Wednesday as a twosome. So I thought....

The starter tells me to head out on the back nine first as the front nine is busy. Nobody can be seen playing #9 so I should be fine. Quickly (#11 tee box), I catch up to a foursome. You can see what happens next right? Nothing!!! They won't let me play through at all. So I waited the entire 9 holes behind them, almost catching up to them on the tee box of every hole, waiting on every shot. I had a good game going so I didn't want to let this frustrate me. Ended playing 1-over so it didn't affect my game.

So I didn't make a scene on the course, didn't convey my frustration to the cart girl or ask her to call the proshop. Never saw a marshall on the course though (Friday evenings - what do you expect?).

After I finish 9 holes at 7:20pm (teed off around 5:00pm), I walk up to one of the guys in the parking lot and ask him politely (yes politely) why they never offered to let me play through? His answer was that they thought a group who catch up to me and I would join them!!! What? So I asked him if he knew what etiquette meant and he replied "yes, foursomes!". He told me that many times he was stuck behind foursomes and they wouldn't let him through! Unbelievable.

Needless to say, I was boiling inside. But I remained calm and told him I had nothing against their pace of play but was angry at them for not letting me play through. He answered my comment by getting in his car, closing his door and driving away. Classy!!!

All I was trying to do was play 18... I know I would have had plenty of time if they would have let me play through. Oh well, it'll have to be for another day I guess.

That's my rant!!!

Quote Originally Posted by golfott View Post
    question being, were there groups in front of that group, or was it just them and then open holes in front of them?
    Sorry - yes that makes a difference...

It was wide open in front of them. When I walked by #12, you can see #16 and there was nobody. All along #12 (par 5) I was looking back to #16 to see if anybody was around - no one...

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Isn't this a private course? If so and quite apart from the foursome's boorish behaviour, I'm amazed that anyone would treat a fellow club member this way. Based on your narrative, the guy you were speaking comes across as a selfish, self-centered twit - the kind of guy you don't want on any course. You demonstrated remarkable restraint. Kudos to you.
    Yes private course - not my home course but part of the Clublink family... I was proud of myself for being calm and polite about it... Now don't ask my wife what I told her when I got home... Not so polite then.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    At the very least I would have voice my displeasure to the pro-shop. That is unacceptable totally behaviour and it just goes to prove that while some folks may have the money to join a private course, money alone doesn't guarantee that they have the manners or etiquette to be playing the game of golf

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    At the very least I would have voice my displeasure to the pro-shop. That is unacceptable totally behaviour and it just goes to prove that while some folks may have the money to join a private course, money alone doesn't guarantee that they have the manners or etiquette to be playing the game of golf
    I did speak to the proshop after... They agreed with me about the lack of respect from those guys. But since it's not my home course and I didn't know the guys, pretty tough for them to do anything.

I did speak to the proshop after... They agreed with me about the lack of respect from those guys. But since it's not my home course and I didn't know the guys, pretty tough for them to do anything.
    I'm sure that if they were really interested in doing something they could have looked at the starter's sheet and with the help of your description figure out who it was.......any way, Club Link member or not, I'm sure there is still a little "snobbery" shown towards folks who don't have Kanata Lakes as their "home course"

Sorry to hear that your round was ruined.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    I'm sure that if they were really interested in doing something they could have looked at the starter's sheet and with the help of your description figure out who it was.......any way, Club Link member or not, I'm sure there is still a little "snobbery" shown towards folks who don't have Kanata Lakes as their "home course"

Sorry to hear that your round was ruined.....
    Since I teed-off around 5:00pm from #10, I asked them who teed off around 3pm from #1 as a foursome (all guys). He looked quickly but didn't seem interested in helping. He was more interested about their members tournament the next day...

And my round wasn't ruined - shot 1-over. Should have had time to play the "back nine" though...

Since I teed-off around 5:00pm from #10, I asked them who teed off around 3pm from #1 as a foursome (all guys). He looked quickly but didn't seem interested in helping. He was more interested about their members tournament the next day...

And my round wasn't ruined - shot 1-over. Should have had time to play the "back nine" though...
    Well done and Congrats

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    That sucks.

I went out as a single last weekend and I was behind a threesome starting on the third hole. They had another threesome in front of them and they were moving pretty fast so I just took my time behind them.

When I crossed over the group in front of them had left so as soon as they saw me coming up to the 10th tee they asked if I wanted to play through.

Thankfully I get this kind of treatment pretty much all the time.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Wow, what a bunch of snobs, would have taken a minute or two max for you to tee off, head to your ball and hit your second. Pathetic attitude by them IMO.

Monday Qualifier 314314 is on a distinguished road
    The same issue happened to a friend of mine who told me that he played at Metcalfe this week behind a 4some. He was playing as single... it affected his game and left without finishing... He told me that he was not going back there...

Albatross bobjones59 is on a distinguished road bobjones59's Avatar
    I also played Kanata today. We teed off at 3:00 pm and after hitting our second shots on #2 we headed towards the green and 2 balls dropped in behind us in the fairway. Being that there was 4 of us we putted out and as we drove to #3 we decided to let the twosome behind us play through. We all teed off on 3 and then they showed up and we ask them to play through which they did and they we're extremely polite and grateful and it honestly didn't slow us down but for maybe a couple of minutes. I can't understand why that group did not let you go through? Just a**holes in my opinion. When we got to #12 teebox the two guys we let play through on #3 we're putting out on #16 so it really helped to let them go through when we did. They we're both great ballstrikers and probably really enjoyed their fast round. Had we not let them through, they probably would have been pretty peeved off. The weird part was that on #8, a marshall asked us to hurry up our pace of play, even though there was nobody behind us on #7 or #6 for that matter and there were no groups ahead of us either. He said the group ahead was teeing off on #10 and wanted us to catch up. Why? I feel bad that you had such a crappy experience LBH, just not right.
    If you're not wasted...the day is!

Eagle golfott is on a distinguished road
    if there was no one in front of them I would have just caught up quickly and asked to play though, no need to wait for them to offer. and if they refuse, well play through anyway, might mean having to either play very quickly one hole or pick up and just "scoot" ahead, but if you are a single playing just one ball and there is room in front of them it would not be an issue.

sometimes i think that people wait for othgers to offe r to let through, when you can just go haed and go through if needed.

I thought about asking them at every hole on the tee box because by the time I putted out on the previous hole and walked up to the next, they were just starting to walk off the teebox. Worst is they bought drinks off the cart girl on #14 by the white tee box while I waited on the blue/gold tee box.

Since it's not my home course and they had not offered by then, I already labeled them as a**holes in my mind so I didn't want to make a situation worse. But trust me, I thought more than once to hit my tee shot while they were still close to being within reach to "teach" them a lesson but, IMO, I would've been the one who would've been the a**hole by doing that.

The other things too is I wanted them to understand that I was waiting for them so I didn't want to screw around on a hole, hitting 2 balls or practice putting or chipping... So much for trying to teach these guys a lesson in manners and etiquette.

Albatross bobjones59 is on a distinguished road bobjones59's Avatar
    I can't believe the patience that you showed today, you should definitely be commended for that. You're a bigger man than I! In retrospect I guess there wasn't much you could do other than to pack up and go home. It's just SO frustrating waiting behind a group that only had to use a bit of common sense and courtesy so that you would have all enjoyed what turned out to be a fantastic day weather wise. I'm sure you'll get some great rounds in there as the summer progresses. If you're ever going as a single send me a PM if you ever want some company as I love only 10 minutes away. Take it easy.
    Jeff
    If you're not wasted...the day is!

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I thought about asking them at every hole on the tee box because by the time I putted out on the previous hole and walked up to the next, they were just starting to walk off the teebox. Worst is they bought drinks off the cart girl on #14 by the white tee box while I waited on the blue/gold tee box.
    If there is nobody in front of them, the other option is to simply skip a hole. While they are walking to the green on a par 3, simply walk to the next tee box and play.

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    That is really quite poor, and the foursome should be ashamed for their behaviour. The fact that someone else didn't allow the guy to play through in the past shouldn't dictate what he does in the present.

The response from the pro shop is typical Clublink. Let me tell you that at a true private club, that kind of thing doesn't fly and those guys would have been talked to by the head pro.

Or the membership chairperson would have taken him aside. In either case, the meeting would not have been pleasant for the member. The possibility of sitting on the sidelines as a suspended member has a way of curbing objectionable behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by Section Thirty One View Post
    ... The response from the pro shop is typical Clublink. Let me tell you that at a true private club, that kind of thing doesn't fly and those guys would have been talked to by the head pro.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    personally, when playing in a larger group, I would rather they play through than feel like I am holding someone up. It's the same on the highway, when someone wants to go fast, pull over to the right and let them through!

I would have asked them to play through. Some people don't get it. If they refused at that point, I would have definitely talked to someone in the proshop.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Nationwide Player Section Thirty One is on a distinguished road Section Thirty One's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Or the membership chairperson would have taken him aside. In either case, the meeting would not have been pleasant for the member. The possibility of sitting on the sidelines as a suspended member has a way of curbing objectionable behaviour.
    Agreed.

I think that is one huge thing that Clublink lacks; accountability for ones actions.

Playing Winter Rules Swerve is on a distinguished road
    bottom line, you were a single and hold no priority on a course, same as a twosome. Yes, they probably should have let you play through, but they didn't.

If you were out alone you should have just relaxed, played 2 or 3 balls and worked on your game - why else would you play solo?

Where is it written that a single holds "no priority on a course", and what does that mean? In any event how does one's status as a single excuse the foursome for acting like asses?

Quote Originally Posted by Swerve View Post
    ... bottom line, you were a single and hold no priority on a course, same as a twosome. Yes, they probably should have let you play through, but they didn't. ...

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    bottom line, you were a single and hold no priority on a course, same as a twosome. Yes, they probably should have let you play through, but they didn't.
    Where is the logic in that?

Why does a single deserve shabby treatment? It's not like it was a saturday afternoon with a packed course. Obviously in that case a single can expect little sympathy. However, on a friday twilight round, with an empty course, there is absolutely no excuse to be held up by the only group on the course. Accommodating a single in that situation hinders nobody. It does not take away from the other groups ability to play the course, and it improves the single's round exponentially.

Option A - Foursome does not allow single to passs, and they have a grand old time. Single has a miserable time. 4 people happy, 1 person miserable.

Option B - Foursome waits 3 minutes, allows single to pass, and they continue to have a grand old time. Single is very appreciative, and goes on to have a grand old time himself. 5 people happy - no downside for everybody. (The single probably also remembers the foursome's courtesy if he is ever holding up a group, and does his best to accommodate faster players behind him).

I don't know, maybe it's just this whole 'new math' thing, but to me the choice is pretty simple. I'd be highly impressed if anyone could provide me with a situation in which option A is the logical, most desirable choice.

If you were out alone you should have just relaxed, played 2 or 3 balls and worked on your game - why else would you play solo?
    Are you the guy I talked to in the parking lot???

Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

indio has over 9000 posts and THIS is the stupidest thing i've ever read on this site. Amazing
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

Playing Winter Rules Swerve is on a distinguished road
    I think you are just saying that cause i have 7 posts on this site.

I agree 100%, let you play through, I would have, and probably anyone that cares enough about posting on a golf forum also understands enough etiquette (or common sense) to allow you to play through, but you were a single, you might as well just played a few extra balls, worked on your short game, and enjoyed your time on the course instead of trying to power through a course and play through anyone in your way.
    sorry, re-read, ou think you there was no one in front of them...

p.s. i wasn't the guy you talked to in the parking lot

p.p.s. grats on +1
    Last edited by Swerve; 05-10-2009 at 02:41 AM.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    I think you are just saying that cause i have 7 posts on this site.

I agree 100%, let you play through, I would have, and probably anyone that cares enough about posting on a golf forum also understands enough etiquette (or common sense) to allow you to play through, but you were a single, you might as well just played a few extra balls, worked on your short game, and enjoyed your time on the course instead of trying to power through a course and play through anyone in your way.
    sorry, re-read, ou think you there was no one in front of them...

p.s. i wasn't the guy you talked to in the parking lot

p.p.s. grats on +1
    Playing extra balls is an option (shut up Indio ), but personally if I'm playing a round, I want to play a proper round. If the course is jammed and that's not possible, then so be it. But in a situation where you should be able to play a proper round, I don't think it's acceptable for other golfers to prevent you from doing so. There is nothing as relaxing as playing a quick round of golf as a single. It's great to play with buddies, but the freedom of whipping around the course as a single, with no disctractions, is hard to beat. The most enjoyable round of golf I've ever played were rounds where I was out at the crack of dawn, with no golfers in front of me and no company other than the wildlife and the morning dew (and I am NOT a morning person.)

Thread Information