CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where to start?

Shotmaker Johnyc is on a distinguished road

Where to start?

Hello,

I am thirty years of age and have been playing the game of golf for nearly 20 years. Unfortunately my tee game is so poor, that I have abandoned my driver in place of a three wood. Even after having made this change I still slice almost all the time and lose a tremendous amount of distance. For example, I can hit my 9 iron 150 yards, but can only hit my 3 wood 200 yards (and not even consistently at that). I have been able to score decently by keeping the ball in play, becoming a pretty good short game player (scrambler) and a really good putter. I would love more then anything though to hit driver. I would like to be 250 off of the tee and am prepared to work at it. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I am hoping to begin lessons, however am afraid at what the results might be. It is very frustrating and has gotten to the point now that I am waiting to join a club until I improve my game.

I live in Riverside south and would like to work with someone in the area. I am prepared to have a lesson once a week and hit the range an additional day each week. I would really like to get better and hope to review any feedback from the members of this form. Finally, I have even considered joining a club and working with the pro for a month or so before hitting the course again.

Are there instructors in the area who could help me?

Thanks,

John

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

Thumbs up

Hey John, Give Colin Orr a call. He runs the OAC winter golf school and teaches out at Falcon Ridge which is close to you. He is an excellent instructor and would be sure to start you out on the right path to stripe your tee shots down the middle.
    OAC is 613-523-1540 ask for Colin

Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Good plan ditching the driver, i'd ditch the 3w too in favour of a 5w. That's what I did and I am a lot more consistent off the tee, and what's more I don't lose any distance to my friends who hit driver.

Go see a pro though, but it could also be that the shaft in your driver is not right for you (too long, too stiff, too flexible etc etc.). Good luck!

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    I will put in a recommendation for Warren Grant at Manderley. Excellent instructor who totally changed my game around. He also works out of the golf dome in the winter, so you can keep working on your game with him year round.

4 Iron Domo is on a distinguished road Domo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    Hey John, Give Colin Orr a call. He runs the OAC winter golf school and teaches out at Falcon Ridge which is close to you. He is an excellent instructor and would be sure to start you out on the right path to stripe your tee shots down the middle.
    OAC is 613-523-1540 ask for Colin
    +1 for Colin. Been working with him for 3.5 years (My entire playing 'career'). Solid guy. I live in RS as well - you can bomb down Earl Armstrong and be at Falcon Ridge in 5-7 minutes. I do not think their range is open at the moment due to clubhouse construction but I believe it will open soon. He'll be able to tell you.
    Last edited by Domo; 05-08-2009 at 08:00 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks for all the great information everyone! I had been looking forward to working with Cory Churchill at Cloverdale, however the weather has not been the best. Working shift work, you really have to pick your spots. I am hoping to begin with either Colin or Cory later this week.

I have met with Colin and had my first lesson last week. I was extremly impressed and look forward to regular visits in the future. I could not believe how one minor adjustment made such a difference. I look forward to our next meeting on Tuesday and practicing each day inbetween.

Thread Information