100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Gap Wedge starbuck is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb Ben hogan steel shafts #4

I am considering purchasing a set of hogans and I'm curious as to exactly how the #4 steel shafts compare in stiffness to S300 or 6.0 rifles. I currently play TM 300 with 5.5 flighted riffles and was thinking of changing. Most comments I have heard is that Hogan stiff is more like a firm. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Love the TM's just feel like a change I play to a 6.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I've had Hogans in all of those flexes.
    The Apex 4 is the softest of the 3, maybe between firm and stiff, similar to the DGS300 but a hair softer and with more of a mid flex point. Actually a pretty nice shaft. I'm a DGS300/400 guy and I'm pretty comfortable with the Apex 4.
    The DGS300 in the Hogans plays just like DGS300 should. It is a high kickpoint, tip stiff shaft with a slightly harsher feel than the Apex or Rifle shafts. If you like DGS300, you'll like the DGS300s in the Hogans.
    The Rifle 6.0 shafts I had in my Apex Pluses were notably stiffer than the DGS300 or Apex 4 shafts -- just as stiff as Apex 5 IMHO. Nice feeling shaft in a 5.5 but I found the Hogan 6.0 version a bit harsh, perhaps more due to the stiffness than the characteristics of the shaft. You really had to eat your Wheaties before playing the Hogan 6.0s.
    Last edited by 1972Apex; 04-27-2004 at 09:32 PM.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Proforged
    I've had Hogans in all of those flexes.
    The Apex 4 is the softest of the 3, maybe between firm and stiff, similar to the DGS300 but a hair softer and with more of a mid flex point. Actually a pretty nice shaft. I'm a DGS300/400 guy and I'm pretty comfortable with the Apex 4.
    The DGS300 in the Hogans plays just like DGS300 should. It is a low kickpoint stiff shaft with a slightly harsher feel than the Apex or Rifle shafts. If you like DGS300, you'll like the DGS300s in the Hogans.
    The Rifle 6.0 shafts I had in my Apex Pluses were notably stiffer than the DGS300 or Apex 4 shafts -- just as stiff as Apex 5 IMHO. Nice feeling shaft in a 5.5 but I found the Hogan 6.0 version a bit harsh, perhaps more due to the stiffness than the characteristics of the shaft. You really had to eat your Wheaties before playing the Hogan 6.0s.
    I find the bold comment interesting. All the Dynamic Gold shafts are heavy, butt stiff and have a high bend point, which encourages a lower trajectory. A mid bend point shaft would be the Dynamic Gold LITE, whle the Dynalite Golds have a low bend point and encourage a high ball trajectory.

What I don't understand is how a high bend point shaft can have a low kick point. While the two terms have a slightly different meaning, they are closely related.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    You are absolutely correct. I meant high kickpoint, tip stiff and must have accidentally typed in low instead of high. Thanks for the proofread. I have edited my post.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    I find the bold comment interesting. All the Dynamic Gold shafts are heavy, butt stiff and have a high bend point, which encourages a lower trajectory. A mid bend point shaft would be the Dynamic Gold LITE, whle the Dynalite Golds have a low bend point and encourage a high ball trajectory.

What I don't understand is how a high bend point shaft can have a low kick point. While the two terms have a slightly different meaning, they are closely related.

Thread Information