100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Putter RangerGord is on a distinguished road

Recommendations?

Hi, I and a buddy (two out-of-towners), are coming to Ottawa this week and weekend (Apr 28 through May 2). Bringing our clubs and hope to get in a few rounds.

We are staying downtown and don't plan on a renting a car at the moment (though that could change) so any thoughts on courses close to downtown? Most likely will be taking taxis.

Suggestions appreciated.

Ranger Gord.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Wow... no car eh?
    Closest course would be Chateau Cartier but I drove past it yesterday and it looked like they were not open, still had tarps on the first green by the road. Cahmplain is across the street from there but is terribly wet at this time of year. My suggestion would be longer cab ride (south end of the city) but still close enough, go to Meadows. I hear it's in GREAT shape.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Chateau Cartier is scheduled to open this Tuesday, so it should be available when you are in town. As Steve said, Meadows would also be a good choice. Other courses available a little farther but accessible by cab and always in good condition would Emerald Links, Stonebridge and Cedarhill (not sure if they're open yet). Falcon Ridge is a possibility as well (I think there is a shuttle bus to Rideau Carleton Raceway across the street from the course, if you want to save a few $$$). Champlain, Gatineau and Pineview are all open but VERY VERY wet.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerGord
    Hi, I and a buddy (two out-of-towners), are coming to Ottawa this week and weekend (Apr 28 through May 2). Bringing our clubs and hope to get in a few rounds.

We are staying downtown and don't plan on a renting a car at the moment (though that could change) so any thoughts on courses close to downtown? Most likely will be taking taxis.

Suggestions appreciated.

Ranger Gord.
    Dude spend the 30 bucks and rent a car for the day and play eagle creek.

Cheers

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road

Suggestions appreciated.

Ranger Gord.
    The nearest course (Champlain or Cartier) are $25 dollar cab rides (ONE way) from downtown. One charges quite a bit and were not sure if its open, the other is in very wet and poor condition. If you are a low handicaper, Cartier is probably the one you might enjoy.

A day rental, depending on when and who you ask, can be as cheap as $25. There are more courses within range that you would enjoy: Mont Cascade, Eagle Creek, and Manderly...all within 1/2 hour drive.

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    It's much cheaper to rent a car for the day then to take a cab two ways from the course. You will have a much better selection of courses.

Birdie mr shank is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Dude spend the 30 bucks and rent a car for the day and play eagle creek.

Cheers
    IMO, this is the best option.

Agreed - we're going to rent a car.

Given the arguments we thought it best to rent a car for the week so I guess that opens up the range of courses.

Given that, more recommendations welcome.

Thanks to those who replied so far.

Ranger Gord.

Big_duck
    Given the arguments we thought it best to rent a car for the week so I guess that opens up the range of courses.

Given that, more recommendations welcome.

Thanks to those who replied so far.

Ranger Gord.
    Depends on what you are looking for in a Golf experience. The most Challanging would be Eagle Creek, Stonebridge or Emerald Links. Good Modest priced golf would be Manderly, Meadows or Champlain.

Best frustration per dollar Falconridge.

If you want to sight see while you golf then Mont Ste Marie or Mont Cascades.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_duck
    Depends on what you are looking for in a Golf experience. The most Challanging would be Eagle Creek, Stonebridge or Emerald Links. Good Modest priced golf would be Manderly, Meadows or Champlain.

Best frustration per dollar Falconridge.

If you want to sight see while you golf then Mont Ste Marie or Mont Cascades.
    I agree with the challenging courses, but I would add The Marshes and Loch March to the list. Conditions at Champlain are not good this time of year, I would suggest Cloverdale instead for modest-priced golf.

Falcon Ridge made a lot of course changes at the end of last year. It still has its moments but it is not nearly as frustrating as it used to be.

I would add Edelweiss to the sight-seeing courses. Nice course and a nice drive to get there.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Big_duck
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    I agree with the challenging courses, but I would add The Marshes and Loch March to the list. Conditions at Champlain are not good this time of year, I would suggest Cloverdale instead for modest-priced golf.

Falcon Ridge made a lot of course changes at the end of last year. It still has its moments but it is not nearly as frustrating as it used to be.

I would add Edelweiss to the sight-seeing courses. Nice course and a nice drive to get there.
    Strangely enough, I have never played Loch March, and I haven't had the nerve to to pay to play Marshes (it is beautiful though).

I wasn't necessarily dissing Falcon Ridge. It is a tough course with cheap green fees therefore most frustration for the buck.

Hopelessly Addicted broken27 is on a distinguished road broken27's Avatar
    $20 for all you can play at Dragonfly in Renfrew (roughly 45 mins drive). Course was in GREAT condition yesterday. Greens very challenging. Front 9 is a great warm up for the more challenging back 9 (although I tend to score better on the back).

I'd totally agree with Mt. Cascades being one to check out, very nice course.

Tons of great courses listed here. Click on the course, and you'll get all the info you need, including some pictures of the course.

Obviously you can't gauge conditions from there.....

Dan
    [URL=http://www.sportsfiend.ca/]Sportsfiend.ca - Make You Opinion Into News...

Big_duck
    Quote Originally Posted by broken27
    $20 for all you can play at Dragonfly in Renfrew (roughly 45 mins drive). Course was in GREAT condition yesterday. Greens very challenging. Front 9 is a great warm up for the more challenging back 9 (although I tend to score better on the back).

I'd totally agree with Mt. Cascades being one to check out, very nice course.

Tons of great courses listed here. Click on the course, and you'll get all the info you need, including some pictures of the course.

Obviously you can't gauge conditions from there.....

Dan
    Now there's an idea. Hey Dan (Kilbank), how about a "live" net cam on all the course pages so we can judge conditions ... shouldn't $$ too much

Wrap Up

Thought I would update with our experiences on the Ottawa courses.

We managed to get in four rounds at four different courses.

1. Meadows: one of the forum recommendations was that it was in great condition so we tried it the first day. For spring I guess the condition was OK; the greens were dry and the fairways for the most part were too. I liked the course and would recommend it. It must be nice in the summer with all the trees in leaf. Most remembered hole was the 6th on the North - I managed to get over the pond and hit the green with the second shot but alas it need up in the bunker. Nice course - would do it again.

2. Champlain: the only thing good about this course was the cheap green fee. The greens were atrocious. Don't know if it was winter kill or what but some of them had close to a third brown patches. Apart from that it wasn't a bad course - fairly flat and uneventful. Wouldn't recommend it unless you’re cheap.

3. Manderley: This one, both my buddy and I liked a lot. It was in very good condition - all the greens were good. Layout was good too. I recommend this one for sure and I would definitely go there again.

4. Edelweiss: This one was a stinker. Took us about 40 minutes to get there from downtown and we could have spent better time in a bar talking a good game. The on-line map must have been out of date as the top part of highway 5 doesn't seem to match the on-line directions. The first fairway was almost a swamp. Greens slightly better than Champlain and whoever said this was scenic must have read the brochure and not actually gone there. But maybe we are just spoiled with scenery living on the east coast.

Overall, despite the two bummers it was an enjoyable experience and would definitely take my clubs again. Most memorable memory: my buddy, I think we were on #1-South Manderley, in front of one of those big trees on the right, thinking he could go around the tree, hitting the ball, which hit the tree, coming back at him and missing his head by about 3 feet. I had to look away.

Thanks to all who gave their opinions.
    If you are coming to Newfoundland I’d be happy to offer my thoughts on the local courses.

Email: rangergord@hotpop.com

Suggestions appreciated.

Ranger Gord.

Eagle Deep Woods is on a distinguished road
    Thought I would update with our experiences on the Ottawa courses.

We managed to get in four rounds at four different courses.

1. Meadows:

2. Champlain:

3. Manderley:

4. Edelweiss:
    Champlain is a CHEAP course for new players, not for someone who needs a test of skill. Edelweiss is too far, and is "ok". Meadows is not up to speed yet. Too bad, some of the other courses recommended are in good shape right now. Always consider the source. But good for you for giving it a go...

3 Wood mkemila is on a distinguished road mkemila's Avatar
    Chateau Cartier is really coming along nicely......Mont Cascades (rent a car) has some fantastic views and the course is coming along......Nation (rent a car) is in good shape .....and Casselview is really coming along nicely.

Thread Information