100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    My worst start ever to a golf season.... so bad I have booked a lesson to see if Marc can see what I am doing wrong... (I am hoping the problem is as simple as the fact that all my rounds so far have been with Hacker )
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    My worst start ever to a golf season.... so bad I have booked a lesson to see if Marc can see what I am doing wrong... (I am hoping the problem is as simple as the fact that all my rounds so far have been with Hacker )
    If only it was that easy.........I do find it curious though why the number of strokes that it takes you to complete a round of golf has gone up, but the number of strokes that it takes you to finish in "other areas" has gone down............allegedly

No secret, OLD age my friend

No secret, OLD age my friend
    Why would old age reduce the number of strokes that it takes to swim one length of a pool???

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Why would old age reduce the number of strokes that it takes to swim one length of a pool???
    I've smoked for to long, lung capacity is limited

I've smoked for to long, lung capacity is limited
    Again, # of strokes would go UP not Down.........

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Again, # of strokes would go UP not Down.........

Hacker, review my signature please

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I hate to constantly post negative things, but when that's all you got, that's all you got.

Pretty much hit rock bottom today. A solid 90 at Manderley. And I had to par the last hole to keep it at 90.

I try to change my outlook and go out and have fun. But I just can't do it. As soon as things go south, which they did today right off the start (double, double, double to open the round), I can't shake it off and just want to walk off the course and go home.

I want it to be fun. And right now it isn't the least bit fun. If it wasn't for Lance, Pierre and Chris today that got me to laugh when things were bad, I'm pretty sure I would've done something stupid like break a club or launch a club 80 yds down the fairway. Thanks for being there today guys.

I really wish I had the time and money to get some lessons, but unfortunately I don't. So right now I don't know what to do. I've never had such a terrible start to the season. Perhaps my workout routine is ruining my swing....I don't know. I'd just like to get back to actually playing something that resembles golf.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    I want it to be fun. And right now it isn't the least bit fun. If it wasn't for Lance, Pierre and Chris today that got me to laugh when things were bad, I'm pretty sure I would've done something stupid like break a club or launch a club 80 yds down the fairway.
    Given the score, I would guess that club throw would have accounted for a significant portion of your fairways hit.

I like to lighten the mood with a cart bag full of beer when my game goes South. I like to be prepared for the worst just in case my hossel is my main source of contact. May want to give it a shot.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    My game is complete horridness right now as well but i am definitely not getting down about things, it's the beginning of the season and it's best to stay positive. At the Marshes on Friday I started off with a quad on the first hole and shot a 44 on the front. Got better on the back and came in with an 84. Not great but i'm focusing on the positives from the rounds not the negative. It can only get better!

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Don't sweat it Geoff. Think about what is really important, you are getting married soon. Don't let golf drag you down. Enjoy every chance you have to get out there. The game will come around, it always does. Trust me, the older you get the less you get concerned with your golf game and the more other things will fill in that void. I'm happy each and every time I play. I won a match today by shooting 92, and hit the ball pretty bad all day. I grinded one out and won it by making a 15 ft putt on 18 for par. That made my day.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by hoolio View Post
    Given the score, I would guess that club throw would have accounted for a significant portion of your fairways hit.

I like to lighten the mood with a cart bag full of beer when my game goes South. I like to be prepared for the worst just in case my hossel is my main source of contact. May want to give it a shot.

I carry, so this is definitely out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    My game is complete horridness right now as well but i am definitely not getting down about things, it's the beginning of the season and it's best to stay positive. At the Marshes on Friday I started off with a quad on the first hole and shot a 44 on the front. Got better on the back and came in with an 84. Not great but i'm focusing on the positives from the rounds not the negative. It can only get better!

If I could've somewhat righted the ship and eked out an 84 I'd probably be a little happy about it. Beginning of the season or not, I've played at least a dozen rounds, yet not a single sign of improvement. Actually getting worse. Go figure!?!?!?!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Making Cuts habsfan is on a distinguished road habsfan's Avatar
    come borrow my medicus Geoff i was picking up the club too quick and lundging at the ball it helped me with the low slow approach and I work at keeping my chin behind the ball, the other important thing for tall guys like us is to practice like Vijay with the glove under the left armpit to keep your elbows/armpits from flaring. We have somewaht similar swings come out to Greyhawk with me one night after work we'll hit some balls for free.

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    LOL @ those crying about their terrible scores that always seem to be better than my personal best...

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I hate to constantly post negative things, but when that's all you got, that's all you got.

Pretty much hit rock bottom today. A solid 90 at Manderley. And I had to par the last hole to keep it at 90.

I try to change my outlook and go out and have fun. But I just can't do it. As soon as things go south, which they did today right off the start (double, double, double to open the round), I can't shake it off and just want to walk off the course and go home.

I want it to be fun. And right now it isn't the least bit fun. If it wasn't for Lance, Pierre and Chris today that got me to laugh when things were bad, I'm pretty sure I would've done something stupid like break a club or launch a club 80 yds down the fairway. Thanks for being there today guys.

I really wish I had the time and money to get some lessons, but unfortunately I don't. So right now I don't know what to do. I've never had such a terrible start to the season. Perhaps my workout routine is ruining my swing....I don't know. I'd just like to get back to actually playing something that resembles golf.
    Oh Geoff,

Don't worry. You just have to look at how things are right now. Upcoming wedding, beginning of the season, working out, and all those other stressors. It will all come around in no time.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar
    Well, I have had a pretty poor start to the season. cap has gone up 3 full points!!! It can't get much worse.
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    You started this thread after your first match - you've posted in it again after your next one. A coincidence??? I think not.

I want it to be fun. And right now it isn't the least bit fun.
    Define exactly what is "fun" for you on the golf course? (I think I know what it is and I don't expect you to post your answer here - I just want to get you thinking about it). Because IMHO I think that is the root of the problem.

It ain't physical, so save your money.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    You started this thread after your first match - you've posted in it again after your next one. A coincidence??? I think not.

Define exactly what is "fun" for you on the golf course? (I think I know what it is and I don't expect you to post your answer here - I just want to get you thinking about it). Because IMHO I think that is the root of the problem.

It ain't physical, so save your money.

Fun for me is going and hitting the ball like I know I can. Yes, I'm not a pro and fully expect bad shots to happen. But there are way more bad than good ones. If I go out and hit the ball well and don't score, so be it. At least I know I'm playing well, but maybe just have to work on alignment/aim. But to go out and not hit anything remotely close to a golf shot is no fun. Slicing drivers, skulling chips/pitches, fat (and by fat I mean if any fatter my shaft would break) fwys and irons....I could go on and on.

And I've only posted after my match because I was reporting back about something I posted on the forum. Believe me, there have been many other bad rounds between my two match postings.

Contrary to what most probably think here, I have had enjoyable rounds of golf. It's just not enjoyable right now. I try to keep an open mind and hope things will change, but they just aren't. I hate being "one of those guys" when my rounds go south, but I can't help it. And I apologize to those that have had to endure those rounds with me. I try to keep to myself when it's going bad, but I always end up saying stuff out loud. Probably why I prefer to play alone at my club.

Forgot to ask Terry, what did you think I would constitute as fun? I'm curious as to what other see, maybe it will help.

Albatross bobjones59 is on a distinguished road bobjones59's Avatar
    Maybe all the other previous sets of clubs that you once owned have put a hex on you because of your new pact with Taylor Made? All kidding aside Geoff, you're such a great ballstriker that I'm sure some very low rounds are right around the corner for you. Don't sweat it buddy, like the guys have all said, there are many more important things in life so just concentrate on going out and appreciate the fact that you're out on the course taking in the fresh air and beautiful sights and NOT working. There are so many people that don't even yet know the glorious feeling of getting "into golf" and understanding that it's not always about how you score. Stop and smell the roses Brother, stop and smell the roses. Low scores will come.
    If you're not wasted...the day is!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar

Maybe you should just walk off the course and go home for a bit. Seems this is an ongoing trend with you. Maybe you need to just take a break from the game for a while. Maybe in a year you will be more passionate about the game again. Maybe at that point you'll be happy to go out for a round with buddies and have fun no matter how you're playing. Or, maybe at that point you'll decide that you're glad to be rid of the stress of golfing (as it seems to bring you more stress than enjoyment most of the time). I know everyone on here would hate to see you leave the game, and this forum, and so few would suggest taking a break from the game. But, seriously, are you even enjoying it any more? Why play if it's not fun?

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Forgot to ask Terry, what did you think I would constitute as fun? I'm curious as to what other see, maybe it will help.
    Posting a good score.

I know that you know that you're not a pro, and the definition of what constitutes "a good score" is not only different for each of us but is always changing for each of us depending on the circumstances and where our game is at. But IMHO you still care too much about your score.

I've been there (in fact, I think we've all been there) - its an easy trap to fall into and a hard one to get out of. We take our good shots for granted and get PO'd at the bad ones. A few bad shots in a row and/or at the wrong times and we know our score will suffer - and if our score defines our round then the fun just got sucked right out the game. Post a few crappy scores in a row and your confidence is shot - and with that goes the likelihood of posting a good score (and having fun) again. Its a vicious circle.

Personally, I try to keep my definition of fun to "making a good shot". Even on our worst days we all make a few of them - and it DOES feel good to hit a nice shot. I'm not always successful at this, because after a few good rounds I can get sucked into the "posting a good score" trap again - but that's what I try to do. Sure, I can still get PO'd at myself over the bad shots - but I allow myself some satisfaction out of the good shots too.

And when I'm talking about good shots, I'm not just talking about hitting a drive pure or sticking one close to the pin for a tap-in. A great recovery shot from under a tree, sticking a flop shot over a bunker, draining a 30-footer - they're ALL good shots even if they're for a double bogey. You still deserve a pat on the back when you make them.

Some days you'll hit a lot of good shots and post a good score - some days you won't. But IMHO the key to enjoying golf is to have your fun making the shots rather than having the good round.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Geoff-----RELAX my friend --your putting too much "expectation" on the game. You know you can do it "sometimes" but to do it all the time---I don't think so. Your going to have good days and your going to have bad days.

Hell-- even I have sunk a 40 foot putt---once in 5 years. I have never chipped in from off the green---have come close That's the fun of it. I've even been able to hit my Driver more consistantly---but my 3wd is still farher

As I've said before I would love to play a consistant 85--maybe just maybe. The more you play this stupid game the more you realize "this ain't easy"! You dont have a full time coach--you dont have a shrink (although all of us here are trying real hard ) You cant play 7 days a week 10 hours a day. I think you expect too much of yourself.

Life is too short to add more stress than is needed---Relax--laugh--enjoy---you'll live longer

I'm going for my nap now Playing tomorrow
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    are we going to see this thread revived?

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=18711
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Well,played the Canadian today and prob. the worst game of the year.Could not hit the ball,could not chip the ball,could not putt the ball.I,m glad its over and tomorow i am going to play better for sure.I know there is a lesson here,just a bad day,thats all,nothing more.We take this game so seriously sometimes, its like life and death, and it should not be.Yes it sucks playing baddly but,there are worst things in life.

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    Well said, Marcos. Well said.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    are we going to see this thread revived?

http://forum.ottawagolf.com/showthread.php?t=18711
    Nah, I'm just realizing that suck!!!

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    I was watching How I Met Your Mother last night and you remind me of Ted. Architecture was killing him, golf is killing you. = )
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Posting a good score.

I know that you know that you're not a pro, and the definition of what constitutes "a good score" is not only different for each of us but is always changing for each of us depending on the circumstances and where our game is at. But IMHO you still care too much about your score.

I've been there (in fact, I think we've all been there) - its an easy trap to fall into and a hard one to get out of. We take our good shots for granted and get PO'd at the bad ones. A few bad shots in a row and/or at the wrong times and we know our score will suffer - and if our score defines our round then the fun just got sucked right out the game. Post a few crappy scores in a row and your confidence is shot - and with that goes the likelihood of posting a good score (and having fun) again. Its a vicious circle.

Personally, I try to keep my definition of fun to "making a good shot". Even on our worst days we all make a few of them - and it DOES feel good to hit a nice shot. I'm not always successful at this, because after a few good rounds I can get sucked into the "posting a good score" trap again - but that's what I try to do. Sure, I can still get PO'd at myself over the bad shots - but I allow myself some satisfaction out of the good shots too.

And when I'm talking about good shots, I'm not just talking about hitting a drive pure or sticking one close to the pin for a tap-in. A great recovery shot from under a tree, sticking a flop shot over a bunker, draining a 30-footer - they're ALL good shots even if they're for a double bogey. You still deserve a pat on the back when you make them.

Some days you'll hit a lot of good shots and post a good score - some days you won't. But IMHO the key to enjoying golf is to have your fun making the shots rather than having the good round.

In a way you are correct and also in a way you are a bit off. For me posting a good score is reflective of playing well. And that is what I am after, I just want to play well again. And when I play well I have fun. Shooting 90 and having maybe three good shots in a round isn't fun, regardless of where my game is at. So playing well is what I consider fun. I've posted some higher scores, but still played well. Putts just didn't fall or chips didn't end up where I wanted them, and those rounds I can take. Ask Saint, LBH or Ginker about my round on Sunday. It was horrendous. I haven't played with LBH before, so he's got nothing to compare it to (but right about now he's probably thinking Lance and I are the two worst 4 cappers in the world ), but Lance and Chris have seen me play much better than this before. That's the frustrating part, knowing that I can do it, but it's just not happening. But maybe I'll have to accept my current level of play, I don't know. But I can't believe my game could fall this far south after one winter. It's not like I've taken a year or two away from the game. Oh well....going to give it another shot tonight after work.

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny View Post
    I was watching How I Met Your Mother last night and you remind me of Ted. Architecture was killing him, golf is killing you. = )

It's not killing, it's just frustrating me to no end right now.

Thread Information