100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Things are shaping up.Fired a 83 yesterday and today a 81.Dont want to jinx myself but my TP R5 driver that i was trying to sell is giving me about 15 to 20 yards more this year.Its a keeper for sure.Going to Smugglers Glenn this week and that will be the test.

Marcos, what day? And are you using the golf show coupon??? Fire me off a PM to discuss.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

Talking

After entering 5 rounds at Outaouais 84-85-82-84-83 my cap dropped from 10 to 9..
    Last edited by The Saint; 05-02-2009 at 08:17 PM.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Champion goochy is on a distinguished road goochy's Avatar
    Played my first round proper yesterday all on my own at Cloverdale Links. Horrible off the Tee, struck my mid irons nicely, struggling around the greens but was really happy with my putting.

Shot 98 (about average for last year) but was really quite happy with the quality of my ball striking and putting with just a couple of nightmare holes caused by wayward driving.

Teed off at 5.00pm had the course completely to myself and loved every single bloody minute of it and each and every one of those 98 strokes. It really was just wonderful.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Still haven't hit the course yet, but I hope to this weekend. Don't think it would be fair to my matchplay teammate if I didn't have at least one round under my belt. I'm hitting the ball wicked good at the range though. If I actually manage to do it on the course, it won't matter how badly I'm putting.

Forum Jedi XTOUR is on a distinguished road XTOUR's Avatar
    I'm just horrible. Nice drive then.....shank ....shank . Or GIR then 3 putt Averaging 95-100. Trying to incorporate all the lessons and forgetting the basics all at the same time.....

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    After entering 4 rounds at Outaouais 84-85-82-84 my cap dropped from 10 to 9..

Nice !!! Mine dropped .5 from those 2 rounds !!! i'm happy !!

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    Well, after a half dozen rounds in the books, I finally have a word to describe my game. Its a new word for me, in the context of golf - consistent! My last several rounds have all been in a very narrow scoring range, one at La Cite and the rest at Greensmere: 102 - 107 - 105 - 102 - 103 - and a 50 on the white 9 this afternoon. In each of those rounds, I can easily think of 6 to 9 strokes per 9 holes that were lost to shoddy chips and putts.

The nicest part is I've barely lost any balls this year, which is a pleasant change from last year. Its amazing what taming a banana-slice can do for your game

Once I get some time to practice my short game, I think I will be playing bogey golf in short order (assuming the wheels don't come off the rest of it!)
    Wannabe Golf

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    Well I played the first round of the Ross League on Sunday, Played much better than I thought I would, carded a 73 but I had my share of goof ups some may call double bogies. On one hole I aimed for a pine tree at the corner of a dog leg figuring I couldn't reach it since it was uphill and a long way out...... Ya after I had to punch out of said tree I wasn't a happy camper. Had a kick in birdie on a 227 yard par 3, put a nice swing with a 5 wood. If it wasn't for missing a 3 foot birdie putt on one hole I would have birdied 4 holes in a row which I needed being 3 over at that point. Another highlight was reaching the par four 18 in 2, which was saying something since it was 450 yards uphill all the way with a stiff wind in our face, I was the only one in the league to reach it in regulation, actually went over just off the green. There was also a 240 yard par 3 going way uphill with a stiff wind in your face, I was afraid of going over the green with a 3 wood so I eased off a bit cause I didn't feel the wind on the tee box. Well I got up near the green and found out that I was 30 yards short of the pin, and after feeling the wind up at the top of the hill I probably could have hit driver and not gone over. I was trying to figure out how good do you have to be to play these par 3's, who makes par 3's the equivalent of 270 yards????. Well the season is off and running and I had a wonderful day with a lot of nice guys.
    Last edited by ironmaster15213; 04-28-2009 at 10:24 AM.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Here's a story that might encourage you, Geoff. The first few games that I played this year were mediocre at best - low 80s and high 70s. However, I did not despair. After years of playing this game, I know that one is never 100% on. However, as BCMist has noted elsewhere, if you have a sense of what makes the ball go, then you can usually fix the problem.

A week in Phoenix gave me a chance to play 6 rounds in 5 days. That helped focus my attention. On Wednesday, I played from the Gold tees (a very long 6,800 yards) on my course with two pros. Again, I played poorly - 79. However, yesterday, the mechanics improved and so did my attitude. Before teeing off, I promised that I would not worry about the results, but focus one swing thought only - making sure that my right elbow was as close to my right hip pocket as possible on the downswing. This would counteract my tendency to come over the top on the downswing. It worked. Playing in high winds from the blue tees, I bogeyed the first hole. I then parred the next 8 holes for a 37. On the back nine, I had 7 pars, one birdie and one bogey for a 36. The 73 was a positive and gratifying sign of things to come.

If that isn't encouragement enough for you, we played another 3 holes and I was fortunate to play those in 2 under. Wanting to work on my long irons, I decided to play a 3 iron from the tee on a 341 yards hole. After a very good swing for me, I was left with 138 yards to the pin. An 80% 8 iron flew toward the pin with laser-like accuracy, landed 5 feet from the pin and rolled into the cup for an easy deuce. This game never ceases to amaze me!

The moral of this story is that you should never give up. If you know yourself and know your game (and the physics of the golf swing), there is always hope.

Great round. Now how many strokes will you be giving me when we play for a bit of American dollars in Belleville?

Quote Originally Posted by ironmaster15213 View Post
    Well I played the first round of the Ross League on Sunday, Played much better than I thought I would, carded a 73 but I had my share of goof ups some may call double bogies. On one hole I aimed for a pine tree at the corner of a dog leg figuring I couldn't reach it since it was uphill and a long way out...... Ya after I had to punch out of said tree I wasn't a happy camper. Had a kick in birdie on a 227 yard par 3, put a nice swing with a 5 wood. If it wasn't for missing a 3 foot birdie putt on one hole I would have birdied 4 holes in a row which I needed being 3 over at that point. Another highlight was reaching the par four 18 in 2, which was saying something since it was 450 yards uphill all the way with a stiff wind in our face, I was the only one in the league to reach it in regulation, actually went over just off the green. There was also a 240 yard par 3 going way uphill with a stiff wind in your face, I was afraid of going over the green with a 3 wood so I eased off a bit cause I didn't feel the wind on the tee box. Well I got up near the green and found out that I was 30 yards short of the pin, and after feeling the wind up at the top of the hill I probably could have hit driver and not gone over. I was trying to figure out how good do you have to be to play these par 3's, who makes par 3's the equivalent of 270 yards????. Well the season is off and running and I had a wonderful day with a lot of nice guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulio View Post
    I've played 27 total holes, and have been unable to play since due to injury. It looks as though my cracked ribs and sore back will have me out longer than I originally thought. I have been so busy as of late that golf has not been on my mind as much though, which is great. Hopefully I'll be okat for the first NCGT of the year...
    So I see the girlfriend had to take matters into her own hands huh?... It was going to be golf or her... .. I see who won that one.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    Go see a doctor. You must have caught something.

If you're going to take the season off, can I borrow your length off the tee?
    Gawd, I hope is isn't infectious!! I finally have my wife totally addicted - she's talking about having a golfarama Victoria Weekend. But we have to get the lawn and gardens done first.

Sand Wedge BBKing is on a distinguished road
    Have 4 rounds in this year after playing Les Vieux Moulins today in a rather evil wind. Ball striking is pretty decent, new Titleist 907 D2 is a monster, hit it over 300 a couple times today, and only missed 3 fairways with it. Chipping is nonexistent, very embarassing when you are beside a green in 2 and make 8 with a 2 putt. It was coming around today after a bit of early grief, but damn I need to practice the short game. Also managed to 3 putt bogey a couple times. Index is going up, unless I can reel in the short game. Swinging better than ever.

3 Iron Jason Munro is on a distinguished road
    So far I have just one round under my belt but it looks promising regardless of carding an 88. The greens were pretty furry and my touch around the greens isnt back yet but I did manage to hit most fairways and drop the back fringe of a 328 yard par 4. I have decided I am not good in wind however. Trying to figure how to aim off with still right to left winds isnt my forte! That said, building a golf course must be a lot of work...reviewing years of weather to see where to build the par 5's to the wind would always be in your face must be quite a challenge!

Had been hoping to get out this week to get the first round in after hitting it amazingly at the range. Well, I played basketball on Saturday and rolled my ankle pretty badly. It's still pretty swollen, and pretty colourful, and I've only just been able to start putting weight on it in the last couple hours. Hoping at this point that it's only a sprain and it keeps improving, as I can't wait to hit the course. At this point I'm crossing my fingers that I don't end up starting the golf season in a cast. I'm sure I could find a way to golf with a cast on my front foot though.

I personally know that you can play with an ankle that's shot. My left ankle is. The problem with playing with any injury is that the body finds a way to protect itself and that can change your swing. With a bum ankle, for instance, your weight shift will not be what it would have been without the injury. That might have a long term negative impact on your swing and your game. In my case, I have to play with the body I'm stuck with. In your case, you don't. You might want to consider chipping and putting for now. The injury may not prevent you from doing this and your game will improve. After all, chipping and putting are where the scores and money are made. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    : ... At this point I'm crossing my fingers that I don't end up starting the golf season in a cast. I'm sure I could find a way to golf with a cast on my front foot though.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    Gawd, I hope is isn't infectious!! I finally have my wife totally addicted - she's talking about having a golfarama Victoria Weekend. But we have to get the lawn and gardens done first.
    Steve---forget the garden and the lawn--We did---it was still there when we got back! Out to Casselview today--Cloverdale tomorrow
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Quote Originally Posted by mpare View Post
    I personally know that you can play with an ankle that's shot. My left ankle is. The problem with playing with any injury is that the body finds a way to protect itself and that can change your swing. With a bum ankle, for instance, your weight shift will not be what it would have been without the injury. That might have a long term negative impact on your swing and your game. In my case, I have to play with the body I'm stuck with. In your case, you don't. You might want to consider chipping and putting for now. The injury may not prevent you from doing this and your game will improve. After all, chipping and putting are where the scores and money are made. Best of luck.
    Good points. Looking at it this morning I'm quite hopeful that I should be able to get out golfing in about 2 weeks. Lots more bruising, but lots less swelling, more range of motion, and its fine carrying weight. Bad news for Hoolio and geronamo, but I would have felt pretty bad beating them on one leg.

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Once again I'm glad there are no pictures on the scorecard. The number I put up on the card Saturday in no way reflected my calibre of play. I hit some atrocious tee shots, and missed a number of 3 footers. Luck was on my side and I ended up with a few alleys when I was in the trees and made the most of them. I also made a pretty stellar scramble par after chunking my tee shots about 50 yards off the tee on the 6th hole.

But the big saving grace was my second shot on the 18th, which I am now referring to as "the shot of the century", in hopes of getting a commentator spot at next years masters. On the 18th at Renfrew there was a solid left to right cross wind, so I lined up down the left side and hammered moon-ball which didn't seem to move an inch despite the wind. I got to my ball which was under the trees on the #10 side, and had two options; 1) Safe: punch down to the 150 yard marker, or 2) Hit a 125 yard cut shot out around all the trees.... Of course I chose option #2. Aimed well out of bounds and cut the crap out of it hoping to get it up short of the green on the left side. I ended up dropping it on the front right corner of the green and two putting for a nice $8.25 birdie skin.
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

3 Wood lastplace is on a distinguished road
    I played three rounds, all in the 90's. Toppong the ball and actually had a whiff!!!! Last round was a 92 with three birdies. Figure that one out!!!!!!!

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    The game is coming around for sure.Most of my rounds are in the low 80's.My putting could be better as I am missing a lot of 3 footers.Hitting the ball more solid but,scrambling a lot to make pars.C'est la vie!!!

After entering 5 rounds at Outaouais 84-85-82-84-83 my cap dropped from 10 to 9..
    Index is going up.. 8.6 - 9.6 ... oh well.. it's not the end of the world...

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Probably time for me to chime in here.

I started the season with a new driver configuration. I am destroying the ball. I've hit a few that have ended up well past where I have ever been even in warm, dry conditions. Even better, I'm accurate too. I missed two fairways on Saturday, one by a yard.

Now for the bad. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with my irons. In that same Saturday round I hit all of two GIR. One was a chip onto a par 5 that I went for in two and the other was an LW that I hit to 6 inches. That's it. Considering where I was off the tee 2-GIR is horrible.

On a positive note, my chipping and putting is in pretty decent shape so I managed to shoot 80.

I think I've figured out what was going on with the irons, so hopefully the GIR number will get better.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Singles Match Play Champ 2011 John is on a distinguished road John's Avatar
    Cap is currently the highest it's been in years at a 9.3. I have alot of work to do on my golf game.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Have actually got in 3 full rounds so far this year.
    My handicap has gone over 20 with the 3 rounds but I have been testing out a new driver, irons, and putter. Driver I've figured out the last round.
    Irons are coming around, the putter good on shorter putts not so good on others (I think I'm a mallet guy). Short game needs help. Seeing Warren for a few short game lessons the end of the month.

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    So I see the girlfriend had to take matters into her own hands huh?... It was going to be golf or her... .. I see who won that one.
    Ha, yes, she beat me up! Positive note, I was able to hit a bucket of balls yesterday. It hurt, but, I just have that urge to start playing.
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    Another 88 today but the handicap ain't moving---guess I'll have to shoot an 88 on a harder course It doen't even take into account my two birdies--first time ever
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Not good for me yet Kinda brutal today actually. LOL

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    after 19 rounds

........ cap is down a point to 11.1
    shot under 80 4 times
    low round so far is 75 on sunday at Meadows with 5 birdies (record in one round for me)

won a few $$ from the boys

I can quit now and be happy

NOT!!

87 today at Manderley
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Team Match Play Champ 2009 geronamo is on a distinguished road
    I have no idea what I am going to shoot on a given day. Played 6 round so far and scores have ranged from a 74 to a 96. What a fun game
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE 2007 & 2009 OTTAWA GOLF RYDER CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

Thread Information