100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!

Thumbs down Start of Your Season

Anyone else struggling with the start to their season? Six rounds in, and no signs of improvement, actually getting worse.......so frustrating.....

I'd love to hear some stories of great starts to the season....maybe it will inspire me.
    Last edited by Big Johnny69; 04-23-2009 at 02:31 PM.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar
    I love me new setup. I've only had two rounds with them. The first time I played with these clubs I shot 3 birdies...2nd time only 1 birdie but my score was better. I've been working on a few things with my swing but try to leave the technical thoughts at the range and swing naturally. Off the tee I need more control but beyond that things are looking better than last year same time.. For the first part of the year I'm satisfied with where I am and haven't set my expectations too high. I know things are going to gel as the season progresses. Personally I don't get paid to play nor does my performance mean anything in the big picture so I don't get down on myself. I try to shack off any bad shots and move on... I play to have fun and challenge myself.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Par CBrown is on a distinguished road
    Well let's see ... I moved my clubs from the basement to the garage and seem to have hurt my back ... still haven't played a round, still haven't made it to the range, still haven't swung a club ... you think you've got problems

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    I normally shoot between 92-100 but the start of the seaon I usually struggle to come close to 100.

My first game this year was in Vancouver on a course I haven't played and shot 100. My second game was at Calabogie (where I often struggle) was 97.

Looking forward to Pakenham Tomorrow and Renfrew Sunday!

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    Only played two rounds so far.. First was a 96 at Canadian. Worst round in 3 years. This was likely due to my trampering with my swing during the winter which works ok with woods to mid irons. The changes however, caused me to hit lots of fat shots and more often the dreaded shanks with the wedges. Since I haven't been able to fix this problem yet, I've been trying to play to my strength. I lay everything up to around 150 yards and let my 7 iron do the work...and shot a somewhat easy 85 the second time out. I felt I didn't play any different from the two rounds in term of drives and putts. But the scores improved because I avoided one major weakness.

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Shot my best round ever last week, an 86 at Casselview as I was putting the lights out!
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    My first few rounds were slightly above my normal. This time of year I try and get to the range more than I play to fine tune the game and get rust off. I haven't been really able to do that yet this year. My biggest struggle right now is the driver. I have been hitting major slices with it where i normally just push it. It's still April...give it some time.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    Anyone else struggling with the start to their season? Six rounds in, and no signs of improvement, actually getting worse.......so frustrating.....

I'd love to hear some stories of great starts to the season....maybe it will inspire me.
    Its April Geoff, and I don't believe you've been practicing twice a week at the dome all winter or spending a month in Florida. What did you expect?

Its been a pretty normal start for me - some good shots, a lot more terrible shots, improvement in some areas, a step backwards in others.

The one constant to the start of every season that I have noticed is that regardless of how I'm swinging the club, I don't score well. A combination of sub-standard course conditions, cold/windy weather and a rusty golf swing makes it tough to go low. In our round on Monday my ball-striking was decent enough (for me), but I must have had 8-10 "good" swings with the wrong club that turned pars or birdie chances into bogeys or worse. That doesn't happen nearly as often in mid-season.

At this time of year I keep my expectations low. I forget about putting, bunker shots, chipping or just scoring in general. All I really care about is hitting the sweet spot on the clubface.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    My season started off with a round in Florida about a month ago. 82 with 37 putts!! I was hitting only so-so off the tee, irons were nearly perfect, putter was... well... I had 37 putts!!!

Last weekend I played at Stonebridge and I knew my swing was out of sorts but I managed to scrape it around in 84 strokes which is about what I expected.

Tonight... my first lesson in years!

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    I haven't swung a club all winter and played 2 rounds so far and both in the 80's(86, 88). Any rounds in the 80's is good for me and considering the greens suck this time of year...I can not complain. I guess having low expectations helped.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Two rounds so far, one at Vieux Moulin just to say I got out and Stonebridge last weekend.

Considering how well I hit the driver there is no way I should have shot 87 at Stonebridge. I'll chalk it up to early season rustiness with the irons/short game.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I never picked up a club all winter and the game is better than ever. Bit inconsistent, but I've had some amazing rounds. Last Saturday I shot my personal best with a 32-38 = 70. Very happy with the game right now. Of course I followed it up with an 83 the next day, but that's golf
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    I never picked up a club all winter and the game is better than ever. Bit inconsistent, but I've had some amazing rounds. Last Saturday I shot my personal best with a 32-38 = 70. Very happy with the game right now. Of course I followed it up with an 83 the next day, but that's golf
    Nice round Reid. I guess the back is feeling better.

Habitual poster OutOfTheRough is on a distinguished road OutOfTheRough's Avatar
    Congrats on the 70 !!!

My start to the season is almost where I left off at the end of last. Just need to fix the shafts on my clubs and hit the putting green a little more and I think I will be on my way !!!

He never mentioned that was his putts...... Good round Reid.. we'll have to tee it up at Outaouais this summer buddy.
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Team Match Play Champ 2012 sebber is on a distinguished road sebber's Avatar
    I have already played rounds since april 1st (gotta love shift work) and so far I am improving over last year. I have been reading the book "Golf is not a game of Perfect" and so far I am sticking to it's teachings, not getting frustrated and not thinking mechanics.

That being said, I have been practising on the soccer field near by and totally revamped my swing since my rounds in florida and I cant complain, for example, went from hitting 135 yds with my 7 iron to hitting 160 yars with the same club and its even strighter than it used to be.

So, 11 rounds in, my worst score as been an 88 and the best round so far was a 77 last week, overall I am loving the start of the season, my set-up is also great, just need a 60* Rac...anyone????

Playing Winter Rules Foddz is on a distinguished road Foddz's Avatar
    Yow! Well done sir!

Still waiting to break 100 this year, myself. With my irons treating me as well as they are, just a tiny bit of honing off the tee and around the green is all it will take
    Wannabe Golf

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    4 iron into a head wind to 3 feet on the Island Green at the Island 9 at Pakenham is my highlight so far.........pretty much no where to go but DOWN for me

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
    Nice round Reid. I guess the back is feeling better.
    Thanks Terry. Yep, rested a couple of days, shortened my takeaway a bit, and the back feels great now. I was taking the club back to far... it's always the little things...
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    86 and 83 for me so far...if i could putt I'd be breaking 80
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    Anything between 85 and 93 so far.Played at least a dozen rounds and told my wife this morning(after a 10 over on the front nine)that I cant expect to pick up where I left off last year and I have to be patient.As soon as the nice weather comes in things will get better for sure.How about that wind today?That was the toughest i have ever played in.Even snow flurries last year at Meadows was better than today(not saying I like snow)So my friend Geoff,your in the same boat as most of us,wich makes you human.LOL.

Golf Guru Gropper is on a distinguished road Gropper's Avatar
    81 & 90 so far. one felt good the other felt like crap!

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    one round in - worst score in 5 years... New irons but that nothing to do with it - same pathetic swing with all my clubs, older or newer...

Here's to hoping my rounds at my home course this weekend will be better - can't see them being worse

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    First sign of spring? A robin. Second sign of spring? Geoff complaining about his game.

My game is terrible so far, which is about what I expect. Actually the season started off with the shanks, but has now moved into just plain bad shots, which is an improvement. Hopefully some lessons will help out...luckily golf is as fun as ever.

Known entity lms is on a distinguished road lms's Avatar
    I shot 80 at Greensmere, so I already have my best round of the summer out of the way. Shot 91 at Kanata today so things have gone somewhat back to normal.

The sadder part is Greensmere is in better shape grass wise than Kanata.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    My game so far up north is so so but the good part is that already at our course I have actually birdied the three holes that I always have trouble getting birdies on which is a good start.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    4 iron into a head wind to 3 feet on the Island Green at the Island 9 at Pakenham is my highlight so far.........pretty much no where to go but DOWN for me
    I will save it for the trash talk thread, this one is too easy
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Postmaster General big mac is on a distinguished road big mac's Avatar
    OK practiced in the south played 2 here. First game 96---last 88---has been coming down consistantly Will it stay there? Will let you know to-morrow Bought a Big Bertha 3 Heavenwood---should have bought it 2 or 3 years ago.
    Does the 2nd hole-n-one come easier ?

Hopelessly Addicted jsttaylor is on a distinguished road jsttaylor's Avatar
    Played 3 rounds in Cuba. 95, 79, 102. A little high on the 3rd round, very late night the night before, but pretty much my usuall stuff. Double bogeyed the 16th hole during the round of 79. I did have a 320 yard drive on the 2nd par 5 and eagled the hole for my second eagle ever. Nothing like golf in March in 30 degree weather though.

Quote Originally Posted by jsttaylor View Post
    Played 3 rounds in Cuba. 95, 79, 102. A little high on the 3rd round, very late night the night before, but pretty much my usuall stuff. Double bogeyed the 16th hole during the round of 79. I did have a 320 yard drive on the 2nd par 5 and eagled the hole for my second eagle ever. Nothing like golf in March in 30 degree weather though.

Nice Jeff.. a 23 stroke difference... I'll never complain again...thanks for that!

Thread Information