CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Hall of Fame sillywilly is on a distinguished road sillywilly's Avatar

Who is worse than Joe Thornton in the playoffs?

Is there any other high profile player who sucks as bad as this guy in the playoffs? 72 career playoff games and only 49 career playoff points? why does this guy get paid so much?? Worst player to ever win the MVP trophy? I think so

For the record... Spezza 40 games, 39 points.

any other players that vanish during the playoffs?
    willy
    email change to [EMAIL="depe.juneja@gmail.com"]depe.juneja@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

I was certain marion Hossa would be worse... but he has 62 points in 77 games!!
    willy

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    in terms of worst players to win the Hart...definitely not Thornton. Theodore has been a massive flop in both the regular and postseason after he won the Hart.

And I'm still not sure about Thornton...he hasn't performed to date in the postseason, but the guys he's playing with aren't helping. I can't count the number of beautiful, crisp passes he sent to the front of the net in the first 2 games of this series, only to have his linemates whiff of jam it right into Hiller's pads.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Can I nominate the entire Montreal Canadians team

Na, na, na, na,
    Na, na, na, na
    Hey, hey, hey
    GOOD BYE!!!

i honestly don't see him finnishing in the top 10 scoring ever again.

Golfbum is going to send all all angry PMs lol
    Last edited by sillywilly; 04-21-2009 at 05:36 PM.
    willy

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    i honestly don't see him finnishing in the top 10 scoring ever again.

Golfbum is going to send all all angry PMs lol
    Some people do not seem to understand playoff hockey. They do not seem to understand that one player can not win games on his own. It is a team sport. Thornton can make good passes all night but the player he passes the puck too has to put it past the goalie.

Plus when you get double teamed all night in the playoffs it does make a difference.

Top Ten scoring? He'll be there again. Plus do you realize the coaching staff has changed Joe's style of play this past season? He finished 11th in scoring, 2 points out of the Top 10. Tell me what is wrong with that?

One more thing, how is your team doing in the playoffs?
    Last edited by Golfbum; 04-21-2009 at 07:34 PM.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I think we all understand Playoff Hockey. San Jose has been manhandled so far by Anaheim and are classic underachievers in the playoffs. Thornton has been invisible and better show up soon otherwise a great season and president's trophy will all be for not. If they don't win tonight it is all over but the crying.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Here is a question.........what is worse, making the play-offs and getting swept in 4 straight in the first round or missing them entirely??

add on to hackers questions... OR making the playoffs as the #1 seed and getting bounced by the 8th seed...

Some people understand playoff hockey just as well as you do. No one said he should put the team on his back and do it all by himself... no one can do that. Is thornton the only one that gets doubled teamed in the NHL? You are making excuses for him. Bottom line is that in BOS and in SJ the guy can't get anywhere close to a point a game in the playoffs.

I said he would never be in the top 10 in scoring again... this year he was in 11th. Nothing wrong with that, but lots of good players around now so it will be hard for him. I'd put money on him never finnishing in the top 10 again
    willy

Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Here is a question.........what is worse, making the play-offs and getting swept in 4 straight in the first round or missing them entirely??
    worse is getting swept.
    willy

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I think playoff hockey is hardest on the playmakers. Its not so much that Joe is double teamed, he's still making great passes and is playing through the 2-men. Its the fact that the guys that he is passing to and just not skilled enough to deal with Pronger or Neidermyer every single shift. Joe is not a pure goal scorer like a Heatley or Ovechkin, he's a guy that makes others look good. When Anaheim shuts down Cheecho and Marleau, Thornton's passes just saucer perfectly through the slot, where his linemates SHOULD be.

Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk View Post
    I think playoff hockey is hardest on the playmakers. Its not so much that Joe is double teamed, he's still making great passes and is playing through the 2-men. Its the fact that the guys that he is passing to and just not skilled enough to deal with Pronger or Neidermyer every single shift. Joe is not a pure goal scorer like a Heatley or Ovechkin, he's a guy that makes others look good. When Anaheim shuts down Cheecho and Marleau, Thornton's passes just saucer perfectly through the slot, where his linemates SHOULD be.

Pay attention here SillyWilly. Read the above statement twice if you have to in order to understand what Dave is saying.

As for Joe, I am not making excuses. Everyone around him needs to pick games, including Nabby.

They need to be in front of the net more so Hiller can not see the puck.

It's not like they lost the first two games to an ECHL team, they lost to a team that won the Stanley Cup 2 seasons ago and know what it takes to win.

As for your bet on Thornton never being in the Top Ten is scoring. I don't want to take your money.

Major Poster Chambokl is on a distinguished road Chambokl's Avatar
    Rick, you know I love Big Joe. I think he is an excellent player but it is hard to defend him again this year. I don't know what happens to him. The first couple of time in the play-off I find players don't realize how hard you have to play to win. There is a lot more close checking and you have to fight through players.

I don't believe it is harder for passer or little players or Swedish player or....

The top 6 scorers were also the top scorers during the regular season:
    Malkin, Crosby, Kessel, Parise, Sedin, Savard, ...

Are you telling me the big bad Flyers are taking it easy on Crosby and Malkin.

Joe has to show up. He is -1 and only took 7 shots. I really thought this year it was going to be Joe's play-off. He was finally going to be coming out of his shell. If the Sharks manage to win the next game we might read this thread in 6 weeks and realize how naive we were... I actually really hope so for Thornton.
    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Watching the game last night it is abundantly clear there is something wrong with Joe's game, and it is also abundantly clear that it is an extremely easy fix. He's trying too hard to make a difference, and as a result he's taking really long shifts. He looks good for the first 15-20 seconds of his shifts, then he stays out for another 30 to 40 seconds looking sluggish and useless. He's got to go hard for 25 seconds, get his ass off the ice, and he'll be ready to give'r again in a minute and a half. Watching the Canucks play last night (not to say they're the perfect example of a hockey team), they were rolling 3 lines, and yet you still saw the Sedins and Burrow out there every two minutes,at the most. Quick, effective shifts are the way to go in the playoffs. Unfortunately, Big Joe is so worried about his playoff performance that he's shooting himself in the foot and not allowing himself to compete on an even playing field.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf View Post
    Watching the game last night it is abundantly clear there is something wrong with Joe's game, and it is also abundantly clear that it is an extremely easy fix. He's trying too hard to make a difference, and as a result he's taking really long shifts. He looks good for the first 15-20 seconds of his shifts, then he stays out for another 30 to 40 seconds looking sluggish and useless. He's got to go hard for 25 seconds, get his ass off the ice, and he'll be ready to give'r again in a minute and a half. Watching the Canucks play last night (not to say they're the perfect example of a hockey team), they were rolling 3 lines, and yet you still saw the Sedins and Burrow out there every two minutes,at the most. Quick, effective shifts are the way to go in the playoffs. Unfortunately, Big Joe is so worried about his playoff performance that he's shooting himself in the foot and not allowing himself to compete on an even playing field.
    I believe it's called Kovalev's Disease.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Pay attention here SillyWilly. Read the above statement twice if you have to in order to understand what Dave is saying.

As for Joe, I am not making excuses. Everyone around him needs to pick games, including Nabby.

They need to be in front of the net more so Hiller can not see the puck.

It's not like they lost the first two games to an ECHL team, they lost to a team that won the Stanley Cup 2 seasons ago and know what it takes to win.

As for your bet on Thornton never being in the Top Ten is scoring. I don't want to take your money.
    i read what he wrote... I guess joe is the only player in the NHL that gets played hard in the playoffs. Teams should really start doing that to the other teams top players... crosby, malkin, ovechkin, parasie, carter, iginla, and so on... haha. everyone top player gets played like this in the NHL.

Also, you are talking about 2 games against ANH. what about the other 75 games that he has sucked?
    willy

Caddy SGH is on a distinguished road SGH's Avatar
    Keith Tkachuck isn't much better. 56 point in 89 playoff games, or .62 pts/g. He's a point a game player in the regular season. Only thought of him as he went pointless in the sweep with Vancouver.

You know what guys? If you are all so good at coaching (You all seem to know why Joe Thornton is not playing like he should) then maybe you can all apply to coach the Sens next year. (Who missed the playoffs remember?

After all you are all so wise and seem to know all the ins and outs about how a player should be playing in the playoffs then go apply for the HEAD COACHING JOB FOR THE SENS.

I am sure the owner would be happy to have you all as head coaches! You can take turns running the practices and then take turns coaching during the season!

BTW the last time I checked, there was 20 players on the Sharks roster, not just #19.

Cmon Golfbum, as much as it is a team game, leaders need to be leaders in the playoffs. That's what makes a great player great. Thornton can't be expected to carry the team, but he needs to play well for them to succeed. You can't win a Cup with just a 2nd and 3rd line. At some point your #1 players need to play like it. When was the last time the Conn Smythe went to a 3rd liner? Sure, you need those third liners to grind and produce because that helps to give the top players breathing room, but if those top players don't produce, say goodbye to any chance at post-season success. I dearly hope Thornton does turns it around, as I need him to get a couple rounds deep for me to have a shot in my pool, but until he stops squeezing the stick and allows himself to just play hockey, it's not going to happen.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    It's all well and good that you use the argument that the Sens are out of the playoffs, blah blah blah, but there is something patently wrong with a team that barely loses 20 games during the season, seldom 2 in a row, and a perennial favourite for "best team in the league" that get effectively swept (4-0 or 4-1) in the first round.

I agree with you, it's the whole team, not just Joe. BUT, there is something drastically wrong with this situation. I don't watch them to know what the problem is, so I won't pretend.

However, Joe is off the hook in my books, Carey Price is MUCH worse than Joe lol...I don't care if he's 21. He's been billetted as the second coming of Patrick Roy, and he's played more like Patrick Lalime.

Fally
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

for the record, it's been a while since the sharks got knocked out in the first round. 2001, as a matter of fact. Knocked out in the second round the last 2 years, and the conference finals the year before. Not good enough, but it's also not a first round knockout.

Rick, I know you are a joe tornton fan so I will jst ask you one question.. Can you think of a single player that has made as much as him that doesn't produce in the playoffs? Please name one.. Just one. The guy isn't even the best player ohis team, boyle is. I wonder what the papers in SJ say about him and his yearly disapearing act.. If they even care down there. He is a good canadian kid and I hope he turns it around but as of right now, 10 years in, he is one of the greatest playoff chokers
    willy

Quote Originally Posted by sillywilly View Post
    Can you think of a single player that has made as much as him that doesn't produce in the playoffs? Please name one.. Just one.
    Yashin

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    actually Datsyuk is worse. he makes slightly less though...
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Can I nominate the entire Montreal Canadians team

Na, na, na, na,
    Na, na, na, na
    Hey, hey, hey
    GOOD BYE!!!
    At least the habs played 4 more games then you know who and that with a very banged up team.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum View Post
    Some people do not seem to understand playoff hockey. They do not seem to understand that one player can not win games on his own. It is a team sport. Thornton can make good passes all night but the player he passes the puck too has to put it past the goalie.
    Well I would say Henrik Lundqvist did just that yesterday when the Caps came out with the full arsenal. The Caps should have won that game hands down but one man made the difference.

I hope the Sharks come out strong tonight and win this.

Quote Originally Posted by mberube View Post
    At least the habs played 4 more games then you know who and that with a very banged up team.
    Really??

What were they playing?? Because it certainly wasn't hockey.

You must take solace in how classy the fans were though.......booing the US National Anthem and throwing garbage on the ice after the Habs were swept in four games

.........come to think of it, missing the play-offs wasn't all that bad

And you are far too intelligent a guy to play the injury card, we all know that those types of excuses are for, well you know

Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    However, Joe is off the hook in my books, Carey Price is MUCH worse than Joe lol...I don't care if he's 21. He's been billetted as the second coming of Patrick Roy, and he's played more like Patrick Lalime.

Fally
    aka Scott

NOT!!! Price is not to blame for this sweep. If it wasn’t for him they would not be in the playoffs. Tell you what, let’s start this series from scratch. Put in a healthy Markov, Schneider, Tanguay and Lang and scratch Chara, Wideman, Savard, and Kessel or Rider. It’s a complete different series. Second, give credit where credit is due. The Bruins are an awesome team.

As for Joe and others they do need to pick up his game BUT Hiller was just unbelievable in the first two games.

Really??

What were they playing?? Because it certainly wasn't hockey.

You must take solace in how classy the fans were though.......booing the US National Anthem and throwing garbage on the ice after the Habs were swept in four games

.........come to think of it, missing the play-offs wasn't all that bad

And you are far too intelligent a guy to play the injury card, we all know that those types of excuses are for, well you know
    There are stupid fans everywhere.

What’s the difference between playing the injury card and blaming it on the goalie on Ottawa for yeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrs! !

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
    actually Datsyuk is worse. he makes slightly less though...
    Datsyuk won the cup more then once I think. He played good last year If I recall correctly.

Thread Information