100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    5 Wood hx101 is on a distinguished road

Driver Shaft Length

What would be the pro's and con's of cutting one's driver shaft from 45" to 44"?

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Pros:
    - More center face contact
    - Easier to control, i.e. more fairways

Cons:
    - Less distance on absolute perfect hits.

The swingweight of the club will change, but that can be either a pro or a con depending on the individual and can be fixed by adding weight.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Sand Wedge bobcat 2 is on a distinguished road
    According to Tom Wichon the marginal gain in distance from perfect hits drops off sustantially after 43.5 inches and the gain in distance from center hits is substantial over mis at any length. He believes almost no should play a driver over 44 inches and at most 44.5 inches to attain the most distance from more on center hits. Driverheads weight in about 198 grams and are specified to Swingweight out at 45 inches and shafts to flex at 45 to 45.5 iches in line with market demand. Thus, merely cutting a driver is risky, but some say not. Better, to have a club maker reshaft to your exact flex and desired swingweight at the shorter length.

7 Wood sharon.gmc is on a distinguished road
    Try searching the pro's and cons of it on google.

Par Samick is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by hx101 View Post
    What would be the pro's and con's of cutting one's driver shaft from 45" to 44"?
    I wouldnt hesitate to cut it down a little bit. Perhaps try 1/2" first?

Cutting down the shaft 1/2" will drop 3 swingweight points (if memory serves correct), which can easily be made up with a bit of lead tape on the head, or a weight plug in the hosel (if it allows). The shaft will stiffen VERY slightly when cut as well, its like a ruler hanging over a desk and 'vibrating' (not sure I used the right word there!) If you pull the ruler to shorten the amount hanging over the edge, it oscilates faster..because it is effectively stiffer. The weight added to the head will not only bring up the swingweight, but also bring back the shaft to its original stiffness. (in theory)

I wouldnt worry about distance, at all. I trimmed down an old favourite from 45" to 44.5" (not much on paper, but at address it makes a good difference) and I actually gained a very small amount of yardage and it was soooo much easier to hit.

Try choking down on the driver at the range and hit some balls to get a feel. It will not be a perfect comparison because choking down that much makes the grip feel smaller in your hands...but at least you will see the difference at address and contact.

Good Luck.

Thread Information