100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Postmaster General The Saint is on a distinguished road The Saint's Avatar

Talking Hitting a range ball back to the range

If the hole you are on is adjacent to a range and you hit a stray ball back to the range will you incur a penilty?
    Some people are like Slinkies... they're really good for nothing, ... but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I would guess if you are playing by the rules, this is in fact a penalty. I suppose you could pick it up and throw it....
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    The definitive answer is... maybe.

We ran into this exact question yesterday at Meadows.

7-2/5 Hitting Practice Range Ball Back to Range
    Q. During play of a hole, a player saw some balls from the adjoining practice range lying on the course and flicked one back to the range with his club. Is there a penalty under Rule 7-2?
    A. In some circumstances the hitting of a practice range ball back towards the range during the play of a hole would be a breach of Rule 7-2, but the casual flicking of a range ball, apparently only for the purpose of tidying up the course, is not a breach.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    So it's the degree of the "flick". A one-handed swing knocking the ball back rather than setting up and performing a normal stroke.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby View Post
    So it's the degree of the "flick". A one-handed swing knocking the ball back rather than setting up and performing a normal stroke.
    To a certain extent. Remember, it is still possible to practice while only using one hand on the club. A walking "polo" type swipe, or a spooning or scooping motion would not reasonably be considered practice.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    IMHO this one is all about intent.

Rules Official: Mr. LobWedge, were you practicing when you hit those balls back onto the range?

LobWedge: No sir, I was just getting them out of the way.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
    IMHO this one is all about intent.

Rules Official: Mr. LobWedge, were you practicing when you hit those balls back onto the range?

LobWedge: No sir, I was just getting them out of the way.
    Or perhaps:

RO: Mr. LW. Show me how you hit the practice ball back to the range.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    This is a common occurance at Dragonfly. The range and the second hole fairway are interchangeable. Never thought I'd be getting a penalty for cleaning up the course while waiting for my partners to catch-up.

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    This is a common occurance at Dragonfly. The range and the second hole fairway are interchangeable. Never thought I'd be getting a penalty for cleaning up the course while waiting for my partners to catch-up.
    While your intention of "cleaning up the course" is commendable, if you setup to the practice ball and take a swing, one that you would normally use on the course, you are practicing.

And yet, if you wish to return a ball (provisional, for example) to another player on another hole, and he is too far away for you to throw it to him, hitting the ball back to him with a swing is not practice.

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST View Post
    And yet, if you wish to return a ball (provisional, for example) to another player on another hole, and he is too far away for you to throw it to him, hitting the ball back to him with a swing is not practice.
    Since this comes from a decision (7-2/5.5), could an opponent make a claim in match play that it was practice because of the manner in which the stroke was made? Could the committee uphold the claim if they deemed that it was indeed practice?

I guess I'm asking how much the cirumstances have to change before you can decide the decision doesn't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmaninblack View Post
    Since this comes from a decision (7-2/5.5), could an opponent make a claim in match play that it was practice because of the manner in which the stroke was made? Could the committee uphold the claim if they deemed that it was indeed practice?

I guess I'm asking how much the cirumstances have to change before you can decide the decision doesn't apply.
    Since the decision does not make reference to either match or stroke play and since the answer is a definitive, "No... there is no penalty," how could the committee legitimately rule contrary to the decision? That being asked, it remains possible that the player's intent was to make a practice stroke when hitting the ball back to the other player.

Sand Wedge bobcat 2 is on a distinguished road
    Hitting any golf ball while in play counts as a stroke (even a broken old ball into the woods). Flick those range balls with you hand not your club, if you play strict rules. A college player here in the states was DQed for not counting such a stroke in competition.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat 2 View Post
    Hitting any golf ball while in play counts as a stroke (even a broken old ball into the woods). Flick those range balls with you hand not your club, if you play strict rules. A college player here in the states was DQed for not counting such a stroke in competition.
    'If you play strict rules'

The Decision quoted above is a Rule. So that's what you play.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    We should not differentiate between "casual rounds" and competition. If you do then you will never be prepared to compete.

If you don't compete and play only for the sunshine and comraderie, please clean up the range droppings!
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    We should not differentiate between "casual rounds" and competition. If you do then you will never be prepared to compete.

If you don't compete and play only for the sunshine and comraderie, please clean up the range droppings!
    I will encourage my fellow players to do so and add the required strokes to their score!!

Example of Strict Rules

26-1. Relief for Ball in Water Hazard

It is a question of fact whether a ball that has not been found after having been struck toward a water hazard is in the hazard. In order to apply this Rule, it must be known or virtually certain that the ball is in the hazard. In the absence of such knowledge or certainty, the player must proceed under Rule 27-1.
    If a ball is in a water hazard or if it is known or virtually certain that a ball that has not been found is in a water hazard (whether the ball lies in water or not), the player may under penalty of one stroke:
    a. Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or
    b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped; or
    c. As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.
    When proceeding under this Rule, the player may lift and clean his ball or substitute a ball.

Example of Not-So-Strict Rules

20-Something... Relief for Ball in, or near Water Hazard

It is a question of speculation whether a ball that has not been found after having been struck toward a water hazard is in the hazard. In order to apply this Rule, it must be somewhat known or vaguely certain that the ball is in the hazard. In the absence of such annoyances, the player may proceed under Rule 27-1, or not.
    If a ball is in a water hazard or if it is somewhat known or vaguely certain that a ball that has not been found is in a water hazard, or has disappeared within 20 yards of a water hazard (whether the ball lies in water or not), the player may under possible penalty of one stroke:
    a. Play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5, if it's not too much bother), unless it’s just too far to go back, and you don’t really feel like it; or
    b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, and then tip it up to a nice fluffy lie, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard somewhat between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped, unless it’s just too far around the other side of the hazard; or
    c. As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, or if you think that the yellow stakes should actually be red ones, drop a ball outside the water hazard (again making sure that the lie is perfect) within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole (unless that spot is not flat and level, then the area can be extended to as many as ten club-lengths in any direction) than (i) the general vicinity of the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole, unless that point is too far away.

When proceeding under this Rule, the player may lift and clean his ball or substitute a ball, or play two or three balls until the desired outcome is achieved.

Cute.

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    Actually the casual rule is a lot simpler.

A player unable to find his or her ball after however long he/she feels like looking for it may toss a new ball down wherever he/she feels is appropriate and proceed under penalty of as many, or as few strokes as seems equitable. This rule covers balls lost, out-of-bounds, in water hazards, in lateral water hazards or embarassingly far offline.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    I don't think you could make a statement that I could disagree with more
    Does that apply to every sport or just golf

One of the things I have noticed over the years is that folks who treat their practice like an actual competition - no matter what sport they play - seldom get to the top. If you go to any professional golf event you will see within moments that not one of the players treats their casual practice rounds like a real round of golf. A friend of mine got to play the practice round with Michelle Wie a couple of years ago before an event. I asked him later what she shot and his reply was: "I have no idea, she hit so many balls of every tee and rehit shots over and over from the fairway there was no keeping score."
    Practice is practice and competition is competition.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    I don't think you could make a statement that I could disagree with more
    Does that apply to every sport or just golf

One of the things I have noticed over the years is that folks who treat their practice like an actual competition - no matter what sport they play - seldom get to the top. If you go to any professional golf event you will see within moments that not one of the players treats their casual practice rounds like a real round of golf. A friend of mine got to play the practice round with Michelle Wie a couple of years ago before an event. I asked him later what she shot and his reply was: "I have no idea, she hit so many balls of every tee and rehit shots over and over from the fairway there was no keeping score."
    Practice is practice and competition is competition.
    The term "practice round" is an oxymoron. It is either a round of golf, or a practice session, not both. Actual rounds of golf are meant to be played within the rules, whether they are casual, or competitive. Also, professional golfers don't maintain handicaps, they all compete straight up, so you're not really comparing apples to apples here.

Quote Originally Posted by 1972Apex View Post
    If you go to any professional golf event you will see within moments that not one of the players treats their casual practice rounds like a real round of golf.
    I was not talking about a practice round to survey a course proir to a competition. That's something completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by oldmaninblack View Post
    Actually the casual rule is a lot simpler.

A player unable to find his or her ball after however long he/she feels like looking for it may toss a new ball down wherever he/she feels is appropriate and proceed under penalty of as many, or as few strokes as seems equitable. This rule covers balls lost, out-of-bounds, in water hazards, in lateral water hazards or embarassingly far offline.
    So that's how you score consistently well?

Golf Pig of the Year 09, 10, 11 Marcos is on a distinguished road Marcos's Avatar
    So what is the official answer to this one?My head is spinning just reading thisLOL.I know the rules are complicated but is there a clear answer?

In a nutshell...
    If you take a full swing it's deemed practice and not allowed. If you just flick it back to the range it is not deemed practice and is allowed.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    The term "practice round" is an oxymoron. It is either a round of golf, or a practice session, not both. Actual rounds of golf are meant to be played within the rules, whether they are casual, or competitive. Also, professional golfers don't maintain handicaps, they all compete straight up, so you're not really comparing apples to apples here.
    I agree with you on the rules. Golf is the only sport I know of, where every time you get on a playing field, you are expected to play a competitive round. It's a strange sport. Unfortunately I play lots of practice rounds by myself with two balls, sometimes three, hitting multiple shots with different clubs off every tee, chipping around the green, extra putts. It's helped me get a lot better. I call that a practice round. I guess it is definition difference.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Thread Information