CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    1 Iron dmr is on a distinguished road dmr's Avatar

Game improvement irons with thin top line

Hey

Taking a few lessons this spring has shown me that I need to get away from my old Wilson Staffs and go to game improvement iron route.

I'd like to find a set of game improvement irons with a thin top line. None of the current model year sets seem to have this. Does anyone know of any older models that would fit the bill? For some reason I just don't like the look of the thick top line irons - I'm sure I could get used to it though but I'd like to know if there's a model that would suit my eye a bit better.

thanks

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Depends on how much GI you want.

Generally speaking the forged cavities will have the best/thinnest topline. The Mizunos are pretty good in general.

In the component lines, the Wishon 560MC are really good looking at address.
    Not fat anymore. Need to get better at golf now!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Ping I3 Blade or Ping I3+ Blade. Probably the closet thing to what you are looking for. There is a reason GI irons look the way they do. Usually lots of offset, thick top line and sole. All serving a purpose to make the club as forgiving as possible.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    By a set of blades. If you want to improve your game, after the first couple of misses, the ringing in your wrists and elbows will force you to hit the ball in the centre of the clubface. I swing worse with cavity backs lol.

Fally
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post
    By a set of blades. If you want to improve your game, after the first couple of misses, the ringing in your wrists and elbows will force you to hit the ball in the centre of the clubface. I swing worse with cavity backs lol.

Fally
    aka Scott

You swing bad with anything....
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Postaholic northern33 is on a distinguished road northern33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Johnny69 View Post
    Ping I3 Blade or Ping I3+ Blade. Probably the closet thing to what you are looking for. There is a reason GI irons look the way they do. Usually lots of offset, thick top line and sole. All serving a purpose to make the club as forgiving as possible.
    I second that...I play the i3+(4-6) and i3+ blades(7-pw). A little more offset in the i3+ but the i3+ blades have little offset and smaller head but still offer some forgiveness. Overall a GREAT set and I will be playing them for a long time. Forgiveness without the clunky look.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallys0820 View Post

Fally
    aka Scott
    He has a set of blades and they're not working for him, so apparently this theory doesn't hold up in the real world.

I'll second the Wishon 560MC's, and also recommend you check out the KZG forged cavity backs like the CB-IIM or Evolutions. On the OEM side, in addition to the Mizunos you could also look at some of the older combo sets like the Nike Pro Combo's or the MacGregor 1025's.

1 Iron dmr is on a distinguished road dmr's Avatar
    I have a mixed set now, and my thinking was similar to Scotts when I got them. I figured I would learn to hit them and that would be that. I don't practice anymore so I took some lessons this spring and tried so GI irons and I liked the results. Unfortunately I can't stand the chunky look of them.

Thanks for all the info guys - I should be able to find a set in there that is pleasing to my eye and can help me enjoy the game a bit more.
    "I killed a guy with a trident." Brick Tamland

Putter troc is on a distinguished road
    Have a look at the Callaway FT irons,thin top line,very easy to hit.I love mine.

3 Wood petah is on a distinguished road
    Ping i10s are also good. Thin top line and in find them to be quite forgiving. I love my i10s.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I can think of 3 sets, Bridgestone GC mid, Taylormade RAC LT (original not the LT2) and Srixon I403AD. The best value of the 3 are the Srixons which perform great but are not so popular so are fairly inexpensive to get. Good luck
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    If you can find a set of the old Taylor Made 300s, 320s, or 360s, I seem to recall they had a pretty thin top line for a GI iron. You might have a hard time finding a used set though, as most people don't want to give them up. I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about them. I played an SMT version of them and absolutely loved them...only reason I changed was that I wanted to try blades.

Thread Information