+ Reply to Thread
    4 Iron DewDuster is on a distinguished road

Hunt Club Under 40 memberships

Hi,

Not sure if you've heard, there's a new membership level at the Hunt this year for those under 40 and it's a very nice deal.

Base annual dues - $1,620
    Plus yearly payments which go towards your initiation when you turn 41:
    Ages 19 - 29 - $500 per year
    Ages 30 - 40 - $1000 per year

Food and beverage minimum for 29 years and older is $600 per year. Pretty easy to do given it is a full service restaurant.

Your kids can become junior members for $290 and there's an excellent junior program.

You can walk away when you turn 41 but the yearly initiation payments are non-refundable.

I know there are a lot of new members in this category so may be a waiting list already. Has worked well to build a strong pipeline of younger members.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    What is the initiation fee when you turn 41? I'm going to be 29 this summer and am interested to find out how much you'd have to pay initiation at the end of it all.

I live about 10 mins away from the Hunt and this is enticing to say the least. $600 food/bar tab isn't bad considering I'd eat at Montana's/Kelsey's more than 12 between April-October!

Fally
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    Geez - the annual dues are actually a lot cheaper than Clublink...

For my own curiosity: What type of reciprocal play privileges do you get to other courses?

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    WHAT!! That's unreal pricing. Too bad I already have a membership for the year... if the deal is similar next year I will be all over it!

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    WOW! WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW......

If I can get my buddy to join with me, giddy up!
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Interesting... Full details here:

https://www.ottawahuntclub.org/userf...Mar%202009.pdf

When you become a full member, initiation is $24k, annual dues are ~$4500 and minimum is $1200.

Oh I forgot to mention, this category does have some limitations on playing times but they aren't really that prohibitive. I believe it is tee off before 11am or after 2pm on most days. Saturday is after 11:30. Thursday may be a bit later in afternoon due to men's days.

With exception of playing hours above and you don't get voting rights until you pay initiation in full, you are a full member (locker, range, storage, all tournaments, reciprocals etc.)

Reciprocal clubs include Summit and Islington in Toronto, Summerlea in Montreal and Monkstown in Ireland. I've only played the Summit and it's very nice, valley course with some dramatic elevation changes.

Some juniors (lucky buggers) get to play St. George's through a tournament that alternates between the Hunt and St. George's.

Shagging Balls DIbit is on a distinguished road DIbit's Avatar

Camelot

Amazing deal!
    Does anyone know how Camelot compares this season?
    Bite, Bite!

Team Match Play Champ 2010 Singles Match Play Champ 2013 Hearzy is on a distinguished road Hearzy's Avatar
    wow... hopefully they have this next year, I will get my pennies saved up for this. Currently dont have 2100$ to put on a golf course...

This deal is very nice though.

Great post

Uber Poster LBH is on a distinguished road LBH's Avatar
    ok so initiation is $24K - what happens with the balance when you reach 40?

For example, I'm 31 - so for the next 9 years I pay $1000/year so I will have paid $9k - What about the other $15K? Payable in one chunk when you reach 40?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LBH View Post

For example, I'm 31 - so for the next 9 years I pay $1000/year so I will have paid $9k - What about the other $15K? Payable in one chunk when you reach 40?
    That is how I read it....I think under the right circumstances this could be an ok deal but its a long term committment and you are spreading the initiation out over a long time and forfeit your paid amount if you decide to leave at any point. Further you still have a large cash outlay when you hit 40. While it makes it slightly more interesting i think it is still out of the realm of reality for a lot of people.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Hearzy View Post
    wow... hopefully they have this next year, I will get my pennies saved up for this. Currently dont have 2100$ to put on a golf course...

This deal is very nice though.

Great post
    its really $2600. $500 F&B, $1620 dues, $500 initiation. if you are 30 it is $3100 year.

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    edit
    Last edited by beefstuf; 04-18-2009 at 01:51 PM.

Got My Card btasse is on a distinguished road btasse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LBH View Post

That depends on the initiations fee staying at the current $24k which it may not, correct???
    Golfing only thing on my mind.......

Quote Originally Posted by btasse View Post
    That depends on the initiations fee staying at the current $24k which it may not, correct???
    i think you would be locked into that initiation fee however the dues and F&B could and would likely change over time.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Don't forget about the fine print, you have to be recommended by a member, seconded by a member and have two letters of recommendation from members as well........

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Oh how I wish I lived in the city.. This is a great deal for one hell of a golf course. Anyone who takes advantage of this deal won't be disappointed.
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

9 Iron Bisch is on a distinguished road
    Does anyone know the rules and green fee$ to bring guests to this course?
    I have a feeling if I joined this club it'd be a little too pricey for the majority of my friends to want to pay for green fees.

I'm also curious if it's busy after work hours (later than 5pm) and how late the range/practice facilities are open. I like courses that are wide open on the evenings for a quick round.

It seems to be a pretty good deal compared to what the regular price was previously. I've never had the opportunity to play the course, but sure was in nice shape when I went to the LPGA event last year. I'm currently a member at CL and this does seem to now be in the same price range (It was unthinkable a few years ago).

To further add to this because I am not sure it was explained, but I was speaking with Chris McCuaig about the new options for members joining and he was expalining that the hunt will meet you $1000 contribution every year for 10 years. At the end of the payment process you would only owe $4000 on the $14000 that everyone was saying. That is assuming they are not changing the initiation rate as well.

On an unrelated note, Phillips and Spezza have taken advantage of this and are now members there as well.

Forum Jedi golfisforfun is on a distinguished road
    I am glad Phillips and Spezza were able to find a good deal on joining a course. I guess the discounted rate is what got them hooked. I would have lent them the money if funds were an issue... hahaha

Ya times are tough for those boys, it must be hard being Phillips and having memberships at both the Rideauview and now The Hunt Club. Thank goodness the courses are open early for those boys!

Team Match Play Champ 2009 hoolio is on a distinguished road hoolio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beefstuf View Post
    To further add to this because I am not sure it was explained, but I was speaking with Chris McCuaig about the new options for members joining and he was expalining that the hunt will meet you $1000 contribution every year for 10 years. At the end of the payment process you would only owe $4000 on the $14000 that everyone was saying. That is assuming they are not changing the initiation rate as well.

On an unrelated note, Phillips and Spezza have taken advantage of this and are now members there as well.
    Would it be correct to assume that the $500 initiation for new members between 19-29 would also be matched by the club or is that just when you turn 30?
    Let's put a Smile on that Face!

hey Hoolio,

great question. I am not sure of the specifics on that account, but I am sure you could give them a buzz and they may be able to help you out. We were comparing Intermediate categories between my club and his club and that age group never came up.

on another note....and not to sway anyones decisions. They have implemented a significant number of playing restrictions for their intermediate category members. Buyer beware....do your due diligence
    when making this decision.

you will find other clubs do not have these restricitons for intermediate members and the prices are as competitive as the ones that are offered.

Just my humble opionion.

Monday Qualifier Fallys0820 is on a distinguished road
    Hell, I'd just be happy as hell to get a couple of games there in my lifetime. It was a really nice course to traverse last year during the LPGA tourney.

Just like with anything, it's about justifying the money. And to think there are courses in the south end without initiation fees that are $1600 a year lol.

Fally
    aka Scott
    Twitter: @Scott_Fally
    "The finest people in the world...are golfers." -- Ben Hogan

Here's a few answers I don't think have been addressed yet.

I did mention the intermediate restrictions already. They aren't new, they've always applied to the intermediate category.

Quote Originally Posted by DewDuster View Post
    Oh I forgot to mention, this category does have some limitations on playing times but they aren't really that prohibitive. I believe it is tee off before 11am or after 2pm on most days. Saturday is after 11:30. Thursday may be a bit later in afternoon due to men's days.
    To me, they weren't all that restrictive. Your mileage may vary.

With the exception of Thursdays (men's night) the course is very quiet in the evening and always easy to get out and play. Range is open to 7 or 8pm depending on time of year. Good time to bring kids out as well.

Guest fees are $100 so that may impact how often your friends want to play. If they are like my friends though, they realize that the $100 includes all you can eat and drink as all food/refreshments can only be charged to an account. There's a great 9 and dine on Saturday afternoons for $60 which is a nice alternative for bring out guests. Sundays after 4pm is $35 for guests.

Hoolio, I'm pretty sure the $500 applies as well to initiation, but you'd best check with the club. From what I've read it seems like it is, but you should get the official word since it will add up to a material amount.

Makes perfect sense this would appeal to some Sens players since most of them don't know how long they will be in Ottawa.

Hope some of you can take advantage of this program, I've really enjoyed being a member there and sure you will as well.

Thread Information