CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

2009 Handicap Season

The 2009 Handicap Season starts today, so start entering those scores!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame Hacker is on a distinguished road Hacker's Avatar
    Woot!!!

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacker View Post
    Woot!!!

Boooo, considering the way I've started the season. But on the bright side, if this keeps up, I'll end up getting strokes for my matches on the forum ladder challenge.....WOOT!!!!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge View Post
    The 2009 Handicap Season starts today, so start entering those scores!

79 yesterday
    87 today
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    You are such a 'bagger.

I have your coin if you're looking for it.
    Life dinnae come wit gimmies so yuv got nae chance o' gitt'n any from me.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post

79 yesterday
    87 today
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    You are such a 'bagger.

Bagger??? That is putting it very mildly.....
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

I have your coin if you're looking for it.
    Not mine mister. Must be Mike or Daryl's
    I'm up 9 after 2 days on the south course

Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    Bagger??? That is putting it very mildly.....
    Nahhh, just one those things in golf we cant control.
    And the shank on the 17th from 20 yards off the green, to Dan's ball in front of the green on the right was good too!

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBack View Post
    Nahhh, just one those things in golf we cant control.
    And the shank on the 17th from 20 yards off the green, to Dan's ball in front of the green on the right was good too!

Now I see why Dan has your 'coin'
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    Yep, I know. Not really sure it is fair to enter the scores for conditions we currently have. The greens at Le Sorcier were like shag carpets, so it is not really reflective of my actual score. On a par 3, I was on in 1 shot and 4 putted for a double (be quiet Indio & Noback). The course was in good condition, fairways were very dry, greens will be nice once they cut them. They had the 90 degree rule as well for the power carts. Overall I was very impressed with the shape of the course.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I agree Craiger, this HC stuff has to be more regionally based. Who knows what kind of conditions we can face in early April and late October. Those greens at Sorcier were something else.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    C'mon guys, really? Why should your handicap validity be related to the quality of one course's greens? Everybody is playing the same course. It's not like the greens were just bad for you and no one else. And you chose to play that day, you weren't forced.

I've played different courses in mid-season where the green speeds varied wildly, and where some were even shaggy. Should I get a "do over"? I don't think so.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Moderator Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 BogeyGolf is on a distinguished road BogeyGolf's Avatar
    I hear you Rich and I know that everyone is in the same boat....I am just saying that it is not a true sense of ones game...I am just saying that for this time of year, it is too early to start counting those scores towards handicaps, should be more like May 1, 2009.

I don't disagee with that, however I will comply and everyone who tracks a handicap (official RCGA or otherwise) should as well. To not enter a score because of sub-standard spring conditions after April 15 is not the way to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by BogeyGolf View Post
    I am just saying that for this time of year, it is too early to start counting those scores towards handicaps, should be more like May 1, 2009.

I hear you Rich and I know that everyone is in the same boat....I am just saying that it is not a true sense of ones game...I am just saying that for this time of year, it is too early to start counting those scores towards handicaps, should be more like May 1, 2009.
    But the line has to be drawn somewhere. Some years the courses are ready to go before April 15th. There's no book on what constitutes "ideal" conditions. You always have the choice to start playing later if you don't think the conditions are to you liking.

I've been out to hit balls a couple of times, but I haven't played yet because I know that there's still a chance of "less than ideal" conditions.

Yep, you should enter your score from playing courses with bad conditions and ones with good conditions from April 15 on. I just really wanted to say that I find the date too early in the season to start.

Team Match Play Champ 2011 quinner is on a distinguished road quinner's Avatar
    Wouldn't those scores be eliminated once you started entering more scores as conditions improve? That is assuming your scores improve. Just means a slightly bloated handicap for the time being.

That too.

Yup. However if you only play 20 rounds or less a year, it can have a more long term effect.

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    Yep, you should enter your score from playing courses with bad conditions and ones with good conditions from April 15 on. I just really wanted to say that I find the date too early in the season to start.
    I agree. Last year courses were not even open on April 15th. In fact, I would say that course conditions are consistently better on November 15th then they are on April 15th - plus you have the advantage of playing for a full season - and yet the April scores are entered and the November ones aren't.

I don't think the intent is to have handicaps recorded only in good conditions. Playable condition seems to be what the dates are based on.

I don't think the intent is to have handicaps recorded only in good conditions. Playable condition seems to be what the dates are based on.
    Agreed
    BUT
    I have been playing a long time now and some april conditions have been brutal at times. Never the same at the begining of the year. As someone mentioned we didint even play until mid april last year. A soggy fairway from winter thaw is not the same as a soggy fairway from a rain fall during peak season. The ground is bumpy. semi frozen and WET as oppose to just wet.

I enter all my scores no matter what and accept that they are higher from mid october to mid may at best. Then my cap will level out for the season (mid may to mid october)

Just my 2 cents

A line must be drawn somewhere. In average years courses in this area are mostly open and playable by mid April.

If it were up to me the season would be May 1 to Nov 15.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar
    I dont think I was asking for good conditions to play. I was trying to point out that conditions on April 15th can vary greatly from one region to another and that I would prefer that a HC season maybe go from May1 on to the end of Oct. I am not sure if the HC season is the same for all regions in Canada but if they are then we are better off than some areas and we are worse off than others.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

They are set for each region by the provincial associations.

Well, I guess the only way to counter act these type of conditions is to play more golf in nice weather in good conditions, I am IN!! After all its for my H/C, My wife will understand, I think.
    Lefty Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas View Post
    Well, I guess the only way to counter act these type of conditions is to play more golf in nice weather in good conditions, I am IN!! After all its for my H/C, My wife will understand, I think.
    I can see that going well for you Luc.

Its all in how you present it you know.
    Lefty Lucas

Golf Guru justsomeguy is on a distinguished road
    If it were up to me the season would be May 1 to Nov 15.
    I agree. At least you would be sure that every course is open and reasonably playable.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Geez, what does it take to make golfers happy???? We've been playing for a few weeks now, yet now we complain about having to put in our scores......Can't have your cake and eat it too. What would you rather have? Not playing until May???

I'm just poking fun lads.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Thread Information