100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Halifax

Wannamaker stevek is on a distinguished road stevek's Avatar

Halifax

I now have to travel to Halifax for business in May and believe I may have time to golf on the Sunday Afternoon that I arrive as well as on Monday morning before my meetings. Anyone know of a course(s) very close to downtown; I won't have time to travel.

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    As a former Haligonian I can help you. First, here is the list of courses that are in the Halifax-Dartmouth area: http://www.nsga.ns.ca/clubs_map_halifax.html. The following are the closest courses to the downtown area: Glen Arbour; Ashburn - Old Course; Brightwood; Hartlen Point and a bit further out, Granite Springs.

Glen Arbour is a great course. The LPGA pros played it , and gave it good marks. Their site suggests that the course will be opening by May 15. However, you should give them a call. Old Ashburn is downtown on the Halifax side, but is private. You'd need a member to get you in. Brightwood is on the Dartmouth side. It too is private, but you may be able to get a tee time. It's an old style course, not long, but requires good shotmaking. Great views of the city. Hartlen Point is a military links-style course situated on the point on the eastern side of Halifax Harbour. If you are averse to the wind, avoid it or you will be begging for mercy. It really is a great course, and the members are very nice. If you plan ahead you may be able to secure a tee time. A bit further out is Granite Springs. Cut through the woods it was built with the high-end golfer in mind, but its expectations were never realized. When it's in good shape it really is a wonderful course. However, I do not know what it's present condition is like. My guess is that it will be fine. If you'd like me to ask some friends about what kind of shape it might be in, I will do so. If I were you, I'd rent a car for a quick drive (40 minutes at most) to visit the Chester Golf Course. Not an overly demanding course, but one heck of a lot of fun, and some very nice views.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by mpare; 04-16-2009 at 08:29 AM.

bbad
    playing the 18th hole at Chester while the ocean's on your right and you try and drive the green over the "water" is one heck of a way to finish the round

It's pretty cheap to play there. My brother-in-law's a member there and the locals are absolutely amazing. Beer's tasty and the food's not bad either.

Also, at the end of the first hole, have a look out at the island and see the huge house that's there. From what I'm told, that's only the guest house. The main house can only be seen from out in the bay.

JB

Thanks for the info;

My trip is still up in the air for dates but I am considering Chester and Hartlen Point. The trip is tentatively scheduled for May 12,13 but I am thinking of arriving a day or two early to get in a couple of east coast rounds.

Hopefully no more east coast winter storms come up and they are all open by then!

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    If you enjoy seafood, after your round head down to 5 Fishermen restaurant on Argyle St. I have never eaten there or been there but I can personally vouch for the chef & the food as some of the best available in Canada. check it out for yourself www.fivefishermen.com
    Andrew

8 Iron haligolfer is on a distinguished road
    As you can probably guess from my handle, I golfed in Halifax before moving here. In addition to the courses above, Grandview is also a decent course close to downtown - 15 min or so. It's usually in good shape and you can almost always get on. Not as scenic as Granite Springs or as fancy as Glen Arbor, but still quite fun. If you extend your trip, a two hour drive gets you to Northumberland Links, which is a hugely underated, spectacular course on the ocean. 4.5 stars from Golf Digest, geeen fees less than $50. You can see PEI on a clear day.

http://www.northumberlandlinks.com/
    http://www.grandviewgolfandcountryclub.com/

If you like quality beer after your round, you can't go wrong with a Propeller Pale Ale or a Garrison.

Mmmmmm. Good beer and a sea breeze. There isn't anything finer.

Quote Originally Posted by haligolfer View Post
    ... If you like quality beer after your round, you can't go wrong with a Propeller Pale Ale or a Garrison.

Quote Originally Posted by haligolfer View Post
    As you can probably guess from my handle, I golfed in Halifax before moving here. In addition to the courses above, Grandview is also a decent course close to downtown - 15 min or so. It's usually in good shape and you can almost always get on. Not as scenic as Granite Springs or as fancy as Glen Arbor, but still quite fun. If you extend your trip, a two hour drive gets you to Northumberland Links, which is a hugely underated, spectacular course on the ocean. 4.5 stars from Golf Digest, geeen fees less than $50. You can see PEI on a clear day.

http://www.northumberlandlinks.com/
    http://www.grandviewgolfandcountryclub.com/

If you like quality beer after your round, you can't go wrong with a Propeller Pale Ale or a Garrison.
    Thanks for the info. I checked Northumberlands web and they are open just before I arrive - I think I'll take the drive. I'll keep in mind Propeller Ale or Garrison as well. As a matter of fact I'm thinking of them right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba View Post
    If you enjoy seafood, after your round head down to 5 Fishermen restaurant on Argyle St. I have never eaten there or been there but I can personally vouch for the chef & the food as some of the best available in Canada. check it out for yourself www.fivefishermen.com
    I think my Dinner is set as well!!

Thanks!!

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Chester is the most scenic couse in mainland NS, Northumberland is very nice but a long (2 hours) and boring drive from Halifax.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgoo View Post
    Chester is the most scenic couse in mainland NS, Northumberland is very nice but a long (2 hours) and boring drive from Halifax.

I ended up playing Chester on Monday afternoon. It is a very nice course with some fantastic views. I ended up being paired with a club pro for the back nine which did add some pressure (and strokes) but overall it was enjoyable. No rain or fog but no sun and with a 20-40 km/hour breeze it was a little cool and more of a challenge then it should have been. One one hole I was playing my second from 110 yds into the wind so I added a couple of clubs (8) and hit it well only to still end up 15 yds short.

I was able to play Hartlen Point on Tuesday morning at 6:30 with three members who always book the first tee. The Very friendly guys welcomed me into their threesome with no reservations. The sun was out all morning and actually was rising on some of the sea side holes. The members told me how lucky I was w.r.t. the weather. The wind had died down as well so in other words it was heaven. There were a couple of temp greens as some of the holes are being reconfigured with some absolutely gorgeous bunker-green configs. Too bad my game went south. (Too much thinking about work.)

Bottom line if you get to Halifax these two courses are must-play.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself. Chester and Hartlen Point are two of my favourites.

Had too much work to do to make up for the golf so only went out once for dinner. (Which was also a working/meeting dinner) We went to Salty's and I had the Seafood Quattro (Salmon, Prongs, Shrimp, and Scallops) - very nice!

With the flights so cheap I am considering returning with my wife during the summer for a quick weekend.

Thanks to all for the comments/suggestions!

Postaholic mcgoo is on a distinguished road
    Glad it went well. I am playing Chester this coming Monday PM.

Hybrid Bravesox is on a distinguished road Bravesox's Avatar
    i return home to NS mid june, chester is on the list of courses i plan to play. My home course is River Hills and shes a beauty too....The Clyde River runs along 8 holes i beleive. If anyone is down that way...$45 for 18 is a steal just for the views

Thread Information