CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Question Shaft extensions?

dbleber:
    Can someone tell me how I would use an aluminum shaft extension. I saw them at Golfworks and see that one extension is used for more than on club. Do you cut it in half and use it for 2 clubs? How do you get it to stay in the club, epoxy? If anyone has done this before please reply!
    Thanks
    Denny

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    dbleber:
    Can someone tell me how I would use an aluminum shaft extension. I saw them at Golfworks and see that one extension is used for more than on club. Do you cut it in half and use it for 2 clubs? How do you get it to stay in the club, epoxy? If anyone has done this before please reply!
    Thanks
    Denny
    The extensions that you saw at Golfworks can be used to lengthen two golf clubs, so yes, you do cut them in half.

They come in different diameters so it is important to know the diameter of the butt end of the shaft that you want to be extended. Steel shafts are normally .560" - ladies, .580" and .600" - mens', and rarely .610". The extensions are crimped at one end and should fit snugly into your existing shaft so make sure that yu get the right one for your clubs.

Before you epoxy the extension in make sure that you sand, file or grind the crimped end so that it is "rough." Next, clean out the inside of the butt with a rounded piece of sandpaper. Most steel shafts rust a little and this sanding will get rid of that so that the epoxy bond will be strong. You can use shafting epoxy, about a 24 h curing time, or even using 5 minute epoxy will do.

Keep in mind that a 1" extension of a 43" driver, for example, will make the club play more flexible by 8 cpm which is almost a full flex. Normal difference between a "Regular" shaft and a "Stiff" shaft is 10 cpm's. However, if you were to add some lead powder under the grip to keep the swingweight of the club at 44", the same as it was at 43", then the flex of the club would actually go up or play stiffer by a few cpm's, as the butt end of the shaft is stiffer than the tip end and it is from the butt that you are making it longer.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    dbleber:
    As always BC Mist to the rescue! I was hoping you or Andre would see this! If I need 1/2 inch on my 5 iron do I carry that on on all remainng clubs or does the size of the extension change for each individual club? Another thought, I am 6' 1" in height. How long should my 5 iron (or all my clubs for that matter) be, is there a chart or standard that show this?
    Thanks again
    Denny

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Whatever you are comfortable with. Usually it is 1/2 per club. But if you do so you may have to have your lies checked again. BC Mist posted an excellent reply and that is the way it should be done. I would suggest you try it on one club first just to see if you like it or feel more comfortable. Instead of shaft extensions you can also use old pull out shafts(which you will cut of course) or wood dowels. I have actually done both but the wood dowel experiment was long and tedious.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information